Hearing Loss device in Havana question (no politics)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cherrycherry, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I doubt if it was a sonic weapon. More likely it was a Russian device to scan for activity on computers within the building, spy stuff

klockwerk likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think a device such as (albeit sketchily described) sonic emitters can and should be taken seriously, no matter what stage of development governments have reached. There's the "crowd control" aspect already being used in the short-term; I would imagin such tech applied at a specific point for however-many hours/days/weeks, would also be of interest. So the next step would be, field testing the tech using a control group of non-allied subjects, right? And - ooh, lookie: there's some right now, in that there embassy-thingie.

The press conference in which this came out, was not moderated by somebody sympathetic to high journalistic standards. It was reported at the time, the press official was not being very helpful with the need for clarity. The follow-up press conference was also quite cagey and vauge. Indeed, why shouold an agency discovering a new weapon in service to diminish our capacity, feel at ease to offer anything in the way of information that might give the other side knowledge of where our thought processes are?

Bad reporting? No, but bad sourcing. Intentional. Fake news? Thaat's just a loaded phrase intended to discredit. A dog whistle to distract. Why would somebody even use that term in a thread discussing things where clarity could make your own side look-....OHHHhhh...! :eek:

Gizmo90 likes this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I didn't think it was possible to play the remaster of Iggy's "Raw Power" without anyone hearing it.

bluesbro and listner_matt like this.
  4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

BBC is calling it a "sonic attack" by a "covert sound device".
    US State department reports number of staff reporting health problems at 19.
    "Diagnoses include mild traumatic brain injury and permanent hearing loss,
    with such additional symptoms as loss of balance, severe headaches, cognitive
    disruption and brain swelling."
    Serious stuff, definitely not a joke.

5. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

sound cannons they use them during riots im sure they one invented that is inaudible to human ear

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I haven't seen any evidence presented to support a "sonic attack", but it certainly has been reported that there may have been some form of acoustic device. Then again, the reports also say that information being released is very generalized and without conclusion as they really don't seem to be sure of the cause due to some unusual symptoms. Here is a report that details all of that: US embassy employees in Cuba possibly subject to 'acoustic attack' - CNNPolitics So, from I gather, they really don't know what happened and there is only a suggestion that it could have been an acoustic device, but I see nowhere that they say that any sound was ever detected as part of the investigation. The other thing that i find which I think supports their lack of certainty and unwillingness to say much more is the fact that some symptoms can be from other causes and might be a stretch to attribute to an acoustic source. Especially the "severe headaches, cognitive disruption and brain swelling.", which could be chemically induced. I still favor the pesticide poisoning theory, possibly from trying to control mosquitoes. At least that sounds (pardon the pun) less sci-fi and conspiracy laden, and more practical and thus probable. I am not suggesting that acoustic disruption is impossible, just really. WTF? Why? It seems like that's a long shot.
    -Bill

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The cigars there have a kick if you are not used to them.

rischa likes this.
  8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

The diagnoses part seems factual, as for the cause seems speculative at this point.
    Why is "sonic attack" the prominent explanation being given? Seems peculiar.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I agree. It does seem odd. I guess it's the first reaction to the hearing damage diagnosis. It's worthy of investigation, but it does seem to take an odd direction.
    -Bill

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes I think chemicals or biological pathogens should be suspected unless they have been specifically ruled out. However there is no mention of negative chem/bio tests in any report I have seen.

11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

It should rattle a human skull rather violently.

12. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK. I am not sure I believe that to be true. Any link to tests or experiments?
    I certainly don't have the equipment to test it myself.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Hmmm...

-Bill

14. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Good grief, it sounds like my KL Audio ultrasonic cleaner!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Are you blaming the vinyl revival? ;)
    -Bill

Otlset likes this.
  16. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

The Cubans may have an audiophile intel operative: "Maybe we can cavitate their brains!"

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I wonder who did the mastering.

Ric-Tic, klockwerk and KT88 like this.
  18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The AP. They boosted the level and masked other ambient noise.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

19. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Never undestimate the Cuban government's "methods". Naive to think otherwise. I grew up there. Lived it.

MrRom92 likes this.
  20. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

My comment was intended as a general statement about how the regime works, not questioning your statement

21. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

They live we sleep.

There is a lot we don’t know and will probably never know, but remain vigilant.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

sounds exactly like my tinnitus.

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

24. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Yes. Exposure to sound pressure levels of 100 db for long periods of time is not recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.