Heart - "Little Queen" - Poor sounding album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 12" 45rpm, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a mint condition copy . The label is "Portrait". It is a US pressing. The sound is very blah. Lacking any highs and sounds muddy. Is this some defective pressing or how it sound to everyone? There is no distortion, just lack of any bright sound.

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

It should sound wonderful. I have a very early 1-a/1-b Portrait with the "Go for it" and "Beauty take us" inscriptions in the dead wax. The guitar work on the album should be "alive" and visceral.

kyouki, audiomixer, 905 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

My Canadian Portrait LP sounds wonderful as well.

DavidD and 905 like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oh boy, do I feel sorry for you. My Canadian original on Portrait is smoking good.
    Barracuda is so good, that I’ve used it as a demo track.

5. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Even my Aussie pressing sounds fantastic. Sounds like you got a dud

905 likes this.
  6. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

It can sound great! Bummer yours does not.

905 likes this.
  7. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Me too. Great studio sound. Maybe later versions sound weak, but the sound is there at first.

905 likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That’s the actual sound of the master mixes. Like it or not.

9. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Shamed! Seriously though, after Steve's post I grabbed my Friday Music 180g pressing of Little Queen "Mastered from the original Epic Records/Portrait Records tapes by Joe R. and Kevin G. at RTI/AcousTech" and am listening now. I think it sounds pretty dang good for a rock LP from '77 but since I am also a Class of '77 guy I may be a bit biased! Anywhoo, it may lack in soundstage and depth and extended highs but it is a punchy and honest sounding rock record to me. I am hearing lots of details too. I think it sounds exciting and certainly not blah or muddy. Is that because it has been altered from the original? Can a fresh version of an old record ever sound better than the master mixes? It doesn't say "remastered". Are the original tapes the same as the 'Master Mixes"? Just curious really. I guess I'm either looking for an education or a big fat slice of humble pie ;)

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Kendun

11. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Little Queen debuted in my sophomore year of high school. I saw Heart that year in a multi-band line-up at the Oakland colisseum. The regular album sounded like it had blanket over it to me (while Dreamboat Annie sounded terrific). 25 years later I got a copy of the Mastersound version, and it sounds pretty good to me.
    [​IMG]

12. 131east23

I recently listened to Little Queen and Dog and Butterfly, just a few weeks ago, back to back and thought they were both stellar sounding. The mandolin/guitars on Little Queen were all there, vocals too, no mud. It's frustrating sometimes when you get a veiled sounding LP and you know something better is out there. Sometimes that is a remaster, but in my travels it's usually just a very early copy with the right initials in the dead wax. I don't have tons of records like some people, but we do have thousands and I've been buying them since 1973 and still have everything I bought and care for them with enough love and OCD that they're still nice and clean. Still comes down to what you play them on though and the room in which it is played.

13. 12" 45rpm

I created a quick 1-minute sound clip of the LP. The first 10 seconds are Madonna to show there is nothing wrong with my system!

You can hear the drop in fidelity when the album starts.

carrick doone and Malina like this.
  14. 12" 45rpm

I do not see that on my deadwax. Perhaps I have some reissue from a 5'th generation master tape copy?

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Is your pressing from a record club?

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My original 45 of Barracuda sounds quite a bit better than the LP as I recall.

17. Steve Hoffman

That's it! That's the sound of the mixes. Drastic EQ must be added to make anything out of it. You might have a recut that went flat. Also, it sounds really unaligned, the heads, I mean. A bad job.

So, repeat after me: NOT ALL MASTER TAPES SOUND WONDERFUL OUT OF THE BOX.

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not all master tapes sound wonderful out of the box.

19. 131east23

I have Madonna's first album and a few CD's and they all sound incredible, good choice for the comparison. Yes, I can hear the difference.

20. Steve Hoffman

And again.

RevUp64 and Chemguy like this.
  21. 131east23

Not all master tapes sound wonderful out of the box.

I'm going to trust Steve on this, that maybe I have the earliest issued version of the LP and someone worked the best magic they could on it, and maybe after that they just let it go to the pressing plant as they found it. My LP is not flat or veiled, has some life, but I have better sounding LP's.

22. Steve Hoffman

That was produced by the guy who did the POCO albums, right? Can't think of his name right now. His Poco stuff has that same sound, like the top end de-esser was on full blast and killed everything down to 6k.

23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have 2 or 3 of these I picked up cheap, couple promos they all sound amazing.

24. 12" 45rpm

For the average Joe, what does "recut went flat" mean? And how many times is a master tape used to make an LP like this? In other words, how long does a stamper last before they play the master tape again to make a new one? And how many different tape machines would it get played on?

25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

My copy of this makes me weep at the sonic goodness.

The Portrait pressing I have has "Go For It" stamped on side 1 and "Beauty Take Us" on side 2.

Even more precious to me is that this is one of the last orders I had with George Grand.

thxphotog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.