Hell or High Water (2016 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just saw a TV commercial for this Jeff Bridges-Chris Pine film that includes a critical blurb about it being the best movie so far this year. So I looked it up and it looks really impressive (opens in August):

Hell or High Water »

2. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Coming out on August 12th, it's a film about two brothers, played by Chris Pine and Ben Foster, who are planning a massive band robbery to save their family farm, while a state ranger, played by Jeff Bridges, is behind their tail. Looks rather fun but it hasn't gotten too much publicity. The only time I've seen it advertised was when Jeff plugged it on Jimmy Kimmel Live. What do you guys think?

Lightworker likes this.
  3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I only saw the trailer in passing in the theater, and I mistakenly identified one of the main actors as Tim Olyphant. That might have worked too.

4. Monosterio

5. Monosterio

6. Monosterio

Fifty-five reviews are in and the film is still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Opens in select cities August 12, everywhere on the 19th. Can't wait!

budwhite likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This looks really good! It isn't around here yet - we aren't a big market, so I'm not surprised.

Love the casting of Jeff Bridges as a grizzled lawman

[​IMG]

I guess they couldn't get Tommy Lee Jones? :D

8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I saw it yesterday morning. Very good movie. Kind of slow in the middle, but it really picks up. I liked Bridges in it, but I was thinking just like Tim S -- the role Bridges played was somewhat similar to Tommy Lee Jones role in No Country For Old Men. Bridges really didn't look that good -- but he may have gained some weight for the role, and make-up may have made him look older. I live in Texas and have been through West Texas dozens of times, mostly on trips back and forth to college (go Red Raiders!) and on trips out of state. (No one would go to West Texas to vacation.)

I thought the movie felt authentic in terms of its portrayal of small town West Texas life. There was a scene here or there that didn't, but that didn't detract from the movie. My wife said the same director did Sicario. I don't think this movie is as good as that one, but that is not a knock against Hell or High Water. Worth our time and money -- an enjoyable adult flick that hopefully portends more adult fare as the fall movie season approaches.

Later edit: as pointed out elsewhere in this thread, Sicario had same writer, so I stand corrected. Thank you for correction.:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    guidedbyvoices, Tim S and Monosterio like this.
  9. Monosterio

Same writer as Sicario (Taylor Sheridan), not director.

dmiller458 and townsend like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's about time for Bridges. He hasn't done anything worthy since Crazy Heart/True Grit. My favorite living actor from his generation

Karnak likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I read a bit about the movie, and from what I gather Bridges just wasn't that interested in doing anything at this time, but was knocked out by the script.

I agree about the quality of his acting. I didn't see "True Grit" (I'd like to). I thought "Crazy Heart" was fantastic.

12. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

From the looks of it, this is one limited release that us Alaskans are missing out on since I can't find any showtimes. The wait for home video begins I guess. :shrug:

13. Monosterio

This movie is a knockout -- intense, funny, beautifully written, brilliantly acted. Easily the best movie I've seen this year, and unlike forum member townsend I liked it more than Sicario. (They share the same writer.)

14. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Outstanding film. Had to drive two hours to see it but more than worth the trip. Beautifully, scripted, shot, and acted. Deserves to be seen by a wider audience....

mosogotamravip, lbangs and Tim S like this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Still not showing anywhere near here :( Got a feeling it may just not make it here, will have to wait for video

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Most impressive film I've seen since 'Sicario", also written by Taylor Sheridan. He really knows how to jump start a story, and lay the groundwork for a plot that logically but surprisingly evolves. It's more a more nuanced and complex film that the trailer might suggest, and while there's no lack of action, the action has substantive consequences. The coda, which might remind some of Tommy Lee Jones reflection at the conclusion of "No Country For Old Men", reflects the film has more on its mind than a little guys against the banks conflict.

dmiller458 and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Well happiness is Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror, but we loved visiting Big Bend yearly so much we moved here.

I'm looking forward to the film. It does look a little like No Country for Old Men plus Bonnie and Clyde but the reviews make it sound like it'll at least be a solid rental.

Lightworker and townsend like this.
  18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I liked it, but not as much as I'd hoped to. It owes a big debt to No Country, and even features one of that film's supporting players in a memorable cameo. Jeff Bridges is great, though. One of just a handful of actors who seems to get better with age.

Karsten and mikeyt like this.
  19. Monosterio

I just want to say that, while there are some similarities between Hell or High Water and No Country for Old Men, I love one but don't much care for the other (despite it being extremely well-made).

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Well acted, well written, nice twists and some humor. Certainly the best new movie I have seen in a couple of years. Part was made for Bridges. Not a classic by any stretch, but worth the $20 at the Bijou.

21. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Can't wait to see it. I hope there are more roles of this quality in the pipeline for Bridges.

budwhite and jwoverho like this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Bridges is always watchable. From The Dude to Jack Baker to Rooster Cogburn to Starman. He can do it all.

Karnak, ssmith3046 and budwhite like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it on Labor Day. My wife actually talked me into seeing it.

Just a great movie. Quite a bit of humor in it also.

Must see.

Monosterio likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just watched this ...,brilliant.
    No country for old men, but doesn't have to be.

25. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Spoilers.

Just saw this. Loved it, but I gotta say, I found it odd that they didn't consider Toby a suspect. I understood all the reason they gave, and they were solid. But shouldn't the fact that he just came up with $40,000 that he claims he won gambling at least make him a suspect? They still had no proof he was in on it with Tanner, I get that. But he should of at least been a suspect based on that alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.