Help! Can I get a good record player for under $600

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sethrhf, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethrhf

sethrhf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, I'm thinking of getting a record player. I want to get Steve's new Roy Orbison album. :goodie: Then this whole Beatles thing is driving me crazy.

But here's the problem. I know absolutely nothing about them. :rolleyes: I'm only in my twenties and don't even remember ever seeing a record player after I was four. :sigh:

I need some one to point me the way.

I really don't have the money to get a expensive one at this time. Can I get a good one for under $600? If so. What are some good brands and models? I'll probably need some suggestions on where to buy too.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

You could poke around here. http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?anlgtabl&1&ctg&st1. Depending on what the rest of your system is like and whether you need a phonostage or not. Or look for new maybe a Music Hall at Red Trumpet, entry level ones come with a cartridge. Look at Rega table also. In fact look at Red Trumpet's hardware section.

3. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

You will find great bargains on the used market. Even if you want buy new, $600 is plenty. I just found on Red Trumpet's web site 4 complete turntable/tonearm/cartridge combinations for under $600:
    Music Hall MMF 2.1 Turntable with Tonearm & Cartridge $314.00
    Pro-Ject 1.2 and Sumiko Oyster $399.00
    Pro-Ject RM - 4 and Sumiko Pearl cartridge $549.00
    Music Hall MMF 5 Turntable with Tonearm & Cartridge $566.00

Need a phono stage?
    Pro-Ject The Phono Box $119.00

Mike mentioned Rega but Red Trumpet has this in all Rega product pages:
    NOTE: All Rega products are only available to local customers.
    If you want to consider Rega, it doesn't hurt to ask. :shh:

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've asked this question on Internet forums in the past. Most people recommend the Music Hall MMF-5. For a bit more, you can get a new Rega P2. On the used market, you can get the P2 pretty cheap and also the P3 in your price range. Always be careful buying a turntable used, however.

Those prices for the Music Hall tables seem high. Did Music Hall raise its prices? One should be able to find the MMF 2.1 for under $200, and the MMF-5 normally sells for $450-500.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

From what I've seen lately, it's true that Music Hall TT prices have gone up slightly.

When I needed a "real" turntable almost three years ago, I went with a Rega Planar 3 (used, but from a very trusted and reliable seller, and under $500) and I'm still enjoying it to the max. I went with that over the Music Hall MMF-5 mostly due to the superior quality of the Rega tonearm.

6. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Do you have a phono preamp? Can't listen to your turntable without one.

If do you have a phono preamp, consider the new Bottlehead BIX turntable. It's slightly over your budget, but it looks to be an amazing TT.

Bottlehead BIX turntable

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I bought the MMF 2.1 for $289.00. I really like it, but wish I got the MMF 5 now!

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Seth, You have made me feel a lot older than I am, because I was about 22 or 23 when I bought my first TT. Of course I had grown up with them (being a baby boomer). Even though the members here can give you lots of good advice, if you have really never played with a TT before I strongly recommend that you find a stereo shop in Dayton that has at least one TT and check it out before you start off on your own. When it comes to TT's it is best to have someone hold your hand the first time.

9. GP

GP Senior Member

I know you're not trying to get finicky about this, but when I was looking into Music Hall a guy named Jim Stephens who does LP transfers had this to say about them:

I would not recommend the MMF-7. I would
    not recommend the MMF-5. I would not recommend anything that Roy Hall
    sells. And here's why - I noticed a resonance in the tonearm of the MMF-5
    at 540 Hz. Nothing major, but It was, in my opinion, making the turntable
    somewhat less than neutral. So I documented it, plotted it, and brought it
    to Roy Hall's attention. Know what he did? HE BLEW ME OFF. "...live with
    the foibles." were his exact words. Now, I don't know about you, but if I
    were running a high-end audio company (and I used to) and somebody brought
    to my attention a design flaw that affected the music, major or minor, I
    would be looking into a fix for it!

Maybe it's not a big deal, but I wonder if anyone else noticed this.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

He blew you off, that really sucks. I could understand if he said that at a particular price point that there are limits, but to blow you off just shows he is not much of a business man.

12. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

I too would be wary of buying a used deck, given that you are starting out with this. :)

13. GP

GP Senior Member

Well, this didn't happen to me personally, but I have to admit I would be pretty pissed if I went through the trouble to point out a design flaw and basically got snubbed with the finger in response. I can't confirm Jim's conclusions, but it made me think twice.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

For what it's worth, I exchanged emails with Roy about my problem, and he offered a few good suggestions. He certainly didn't blow me off...

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Last I looked, the Technics SL-1200 was around $450. Put a Shure V15 cartridge on there and you'll still have money left over for vinyl.

16. KeithH

If true, that's obviously a huge disappointment. This will stick with me should I ever look into upgrading from my $300 Sony turntable.

17. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I like my Technics SL-1200. Not a bad table. I'm currently running the Audio Technica ATML 440 cart.

Sean

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

We at NorthernLightFX can order Technics DJ turntables.

19. KeithH

I should add that in addition to not being happy to read the story about Roy Hall "blowing off" constructive criticism about his turntables, I am not at all happy to see that they have raised prices. :(

20. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about that with something like the Regas, which are so simple and so reliable that there's no reason why a used one wouldn't work as well as a new one.

21. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Technics SL-1200s really accentuate surface noise, though. I used to know a dealer in Florida who put an SL-1200 next to a Rega Planar 3 in his storefront window. A lot of people came in to hear the differences, and not one person left with the Technics.

If a 1200 is $450 (the last time I saw one for sale, it was closer to $500), and a Rega P2 is $450, then there should be no doubt as to which one is better, unless you're a DJ looking for something that can withstand the abuse.

22. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

How do you like the AT440ML Sean? I've been thinking about one for some time but have read some mixed opinions on it over at the Asylum.

23. Pug

Hi Damian,

I love the sound of it. I never heard a Shure V15 so I can't offer a comparison but after listening to the AT440ML, I have a hard time listening to CDs.

Sean

24. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

my brother-in-law had the AT440ML , then bought a shure v15. He uses a Rega 3. He was very surprised at the improvements he heard.

25. Pug

The V15 is definately my next big purchase (after I get my record cleaning machine) but the AT440ML is no slouch for it's price.

Sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.