Help! I need somebody... (Vinyl newbie here)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SJR, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

How does it sound?!?

2. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Excellent system! Now turn off the audio hardware anxiety switch and just enjoy the music!

SirMarc and SJR like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man Thread Starter

Incredible compared to what I'm used to (laptop/phone)! I believe the speakers need a good run in and of course setting them in a better position will help but at the moment and for the next week I'm pretty happy.

andybeau likes this.
  4. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Kid A was one of the first records I bought after I assembled my system. Knocked my socks off.

5. SJR

Awesome! I'll give that one a spin tomorrow.

Nick Brook likes this.
  6. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Everything in its Right Place....:cool:

Mintsauce, Maccaroni and timind like this.
  7. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

Give it a couple of weeks when it's run in , it'll just open up and it'll sing.
    Try not to crank up to wall shaking levels whilst it's so new. Those speakers will benefit long term from being run in at moderate levels and thus sing sweeter for longer at louder levels. It's a win,win win situation.:)

8. SJR

Thanks for the tip!

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I would keep the Rega Carbon until you need to replace it, unless your dealer is willing to let you have a Rega Elys 2 now for the price difference. That normally comes as standard on the Planar 3. But you may prefer to spend the money on albums instead.

10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nice man! Enjoy

11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Enjoy your music !

12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

This has been an interesting thread. I have a similar experience as like you I am coming back to a decent system after years of listening via bad pc speakers and a crappy DAC.

I dug out my old Paradigm 9se mk ii speakers (which are plenty fine for now), bought a barely used Cronus Mag II, and a Simaudio 260d with the DAC (that sounds amazingly good with a toslink cable from the apple airport.

I have a turntable on order, in the meantime the wife and I have bought about 70 lp.... we are going to look at rugs today for the room to help the bounce, it's a pretty large room/ceiling height. Have a cabinet being built for it all, at the moment just have it on my desk...ha.

Still looking at headphones...demo'ed a few, don't know if I will actually enjoy their use vs the speakers.

Anyway, seems like your enjoying the fun part of it. Radiohead and The Stone Roses are cool choices.

timind likes this.
  13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Where's the Kevin Gray Yes Fragile? Come on man! Get with it! Lol

14. SJR

Ha! I've got enough to keep me going for now :D

SirMarc likes this.
  15. SJR

Thanks JNTEX! It's been great getting advice through the forum. Send a pic once you're all set up.

16. Optonamus

Optonamus New Member

I have an Advent 300 and a Nad 2155 amplifier if anyone is interested in them

17. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Great journey, I hope you're enjoying the music. Nice looking set up

18. SJR

Thanks mate. I'm loving the music. It's been a couple of days now and it seems to be getting better the more I listen!

SirMarc and andybeau like this.
  19. SJR

Hi guys, so after a week tweaking and re-positioning TT and speakers, here are the latest and final pics of my humble little setup...

[​IMG]

It seems to have gotten better as the week has gone on! I'm more than happy with my choice of components.

Saturday afternoon chill-out with Bob...

[​IMG]

Friday night (last night) beers and Marquee Moon...

[​IMG]

Now I can start building my collection of vinyl...

Thanks
    SJR

JNTEX, HiFi Guy, arem and 2 others like this.
  20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Looks good man, but can you use a different wall so you can get the speakers further apart and equidistant from the corners? The soundstage will open up and the bass should even out. Try maybe 1.5 feet off the back wall and maybe 2 feet off the side walls

theron d and Nick Brook like this.
  21. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

It looks really tidy that , nice.

SJR likes this.
  22. SJR

Hey mate, I don't have any more walls unfortunately! The pictures don't show but I'm 1.5 ft from the side wall and about 9" from the rear wall . I played about with 'optimum' position and it meant walking out the bedroom straight into the speakers! That wasn't feasible I'm afraid. This setup will have to do for now until I buy my mansion :D

SirMarc likes this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

When I say rear wall, I mean the wall behind the speakers. What you want to do is make an equidistant traingle from the two speakers to your seating position. This will give you the best soundstage width and depth. You'll be amazed how different and cooler the music will sound. If you can, try it

SJR and Nick Brook like this.
  24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Consider starting with vintage gear. It's more fun that way, plus you'll get a history lesson on hifi of yesteryear.

25. SJR

Thanks for the advice SirMarc. I adjusted the positioning slightly (as much as the space will allow) and now the speakers sit just over 1.5ft from the side wall and just over 1ft from the rear wall. I can't go any further otherwise they'd be in the middle of the room right in the way of the walk through to the bedrooms. I'm sitting equidistant (front middle) from the speakers and the soundstage is excellent in this position (probably the best I'll achieve in my current apartment) - very detailed and the sound clarity of my copy of Blonde on Blonde is the best I've ever heard it - that thin, wild mercury sound indeed!

SirMarc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.