Help identifying a vintage sealed Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DangerousKitchen, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DangerousKitchen

DangerousKitchen Up in TO Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I just picked up clean sealed copy of The Beatles SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and I'm having trouble identifying the pressing without opening it. Can it be determined by the outside alone? I've been unable to pinpoint this here or on Discogs.

Heavy stock cardboard gatefold & pastecover/slick
    I can actually see the cardboard cut out insert sandwiched between the gatefold.
    Yellow "Stereo" band on top front
    Back cover reads SMAS 2653 & spine reads 2563
    There is reference to c1967 NEMS & MACLEN MUSIC INC on the back, which apparently distinguishes it, but from what i'm not sure.
    It's a US copy, with all the factories listed in small print.

Is there a way to tell if it's the rainbow, red label, apple label, purple, etc from the outtside?

I hope someone can help!
    Thanks! DK

2. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Since it has the yellow "STEREO" across the top, it has to be either an original 1967, or less likely the 1968 reissue.

3. RingoStarr39

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Either way, that's juicy vinyl.

5. RingoStarr39

Aren't most early US pressings of Sgt. Pepper kind of dull sounding? At least the few I've owned were.

6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:agree:

Muzyck and Bill like this.
  7. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

The yellow "Stereo" banner was in place until at least 1974, so it could definitely be an Apple pressing.

GV1967 likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That is my recollection as well. I remember seeing the banner until the early/mid '70s, so it could have either a lime green Capitol or Apple label.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. DangerousKitchen

Thanks for this. But most of these don't apply. If the Discogs data is correct, only 1 of these 5 match and possibly a second but both the 1968 versions are out so it appears it could be a 1967.

1967 #1/ Not a match. Has no mention of NEMS
    1967 #2/ Is still a possible match
    1967 #3/ Possible but states insert is made from paper( but UK is made from card stock.) I can see the insert and it looks thicker than paper, more like card stock.

1968#1/ Not a match. Has no mention of NEMS
    1968#2/ Not a match. Has no insert.

So if 1967#3 had a paper insert, I think I might have 1967 #2? It's sealed on 3 sides but the top shrink is 3/4 open, which is why I can see the insert.

Should I try and remove the insert? It is still effectively a sealed record if I can/do. And would the insert confirm the version?
    Was it common to put the insert between the gatefold as opposed to putting it in with the vinyl?

10. Just open and play the damn thing after a J*

* only in the two states where it's legal.

11. DangerousKitchen

Ha! Well, if it's a sealed first US mint copy, I'd rather sell it, buy a bag of J*s, maybe a h**ker and nice copy with slightly less provenance.

** are legal as long as you don't get caught making the actual transaction.

12. ** legal in Nevada

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  13. DangerousKitchen

I think the NEMS copyright or lack of it is the indicator. That's the part that's confused me since my first post. Can anyone elaborate?

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

So why didn't they include Sgt. Pepper in the US Albums box? That yellow 'stereo' stripe makes it a completely different artifact from the UK version...

DrBeatle and Mazzy like this.
  15. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Was just going to say that.

16. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Guess you're not related to the mayor. Nice vinyl find.

17. DangerousKitchen

^^Will trade Beatles albums for crack..

I agree, there's very little to distinguish a 67 from an apple reissue on the outside.

18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Looks like you smoked too much. One DOES NOT open and play a sealed Sgt. Pepper from the 60s. It's worth several thousand if original in its SEALED state.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Which of course isn't an issue with UK issues, which were never sealed in those days. So an untouched, apparently unplayed UK copy could be exactly that, despite not being sealed...

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

True for UK, but this is not a UK copy. Sealed, original U.S. Beatles lps bring in big money.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree..I have an original first US pressing Mono Sgt. Pepper but, it's open and not in great shape...

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Still sealed iconic albums, especially those that have original stickers on the shrink, are very collectible. In fact, their collectibility (and value) is growing. Opened, they become just another common low to nominal value LP. Besides, anyone who knows much about this album will want a UK copy.

Fullbug and Gavinyl like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Why don't you post some detailed photos...That might help the experts around here..

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, but for me at ten cents I had to grab my Mono copy...it even has "A Little Help From My Friends" on the label which is pretty cool...

25. DangerousKitchen

I know only enough to know I'd probably prefer a UK and that sealed US copies fetch big bucks to collectors these days, which is why I would be happy to turn this one over to get a UK copy. Frankly, these sorts of things never happen to me so I might just have a 70's Apple reissue here. There's not much of a tell between them from the outside as far as I can see and read.

I wouldn't open it but as mentioned, might be able to pull the insert out from the top if that were an only indicator. This would still leave the album sealed on 3 sides.

Agreed kwadguy, I will try and post some pictures this weekend. Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.