Help! I'm buying more CDs than I can listen to!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agora Mike, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Yes, recently found a mint copy of `Fairport Convention......Leige and Leif`, Remaster, extra tracks, booklet, slipcase.......for 99p ($1.20)!
    Was in `Blockbuster` when they were around, and guy came in with 2 bags full of XBox 360 games, probably cost him over £700, he accepted the store offer of £20!........Crazy.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

`Monkeyjunk` Never heard of them....just checked them out.......NICE!

GerryO and Gramps Tom like this.
  3. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I buy expensive new ones, cheap used ones, new releases, old releases...........from brick and mortar stores, from Amazon, garage sales...
    I love it....it is my passion in life.
    I have found since I put an upgraded CD player in my car, being a salesman who is on the road all day, I get lots of time to listen.
    Lots of great deals from Amazon sellers.
    Picking up great stuff for five or six bucks a piece.

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I play it once and either file it away or unload it. If I never listen to it again, it's still a lot cheaper than many other one-time experiences, such as going out to dinner.

Actually, this is a bigger problem for me with LPs, because listening to an LP is more of an event. I play CDs in my car, and I have the luxury of listening to them at my desk.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yes, shelf space is a problem. I have shelf space for approximately 1,000 cds and it's at capacity. The problem is, I don't want more shelf space, but I do want more cds. For a while I was taking cds that were never going to get played to the thrift shops. I've run out of crappy cds to donate and have a small collection gathering on the floor. Ah, first world problems...

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think the title to the upcoming June release by Radiohead, 'OKNOTOK' on their 20th Anniversary of 'OK Computer' best sums up this thread topic.

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

What's the problem? Your building a nice library of stuff that you want. You don't eat out a candy store in one day.
    Enjoy each moral over time.
    Your not running a race, space them out and enjoy that at your pace.

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

When I buy a new CD I rip it into iTunes. I have a smart playlist called "New" with songs I haven't played yet. I listen to that playlist until it is empty before going on to my older music. Sometimes it swells to a few hundred tracks and takes a little while to work down, but I can usually keep it caught up.

pcain likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

The nice thing about purchasing physical music media is that once you pay whatever price, it's yours for a lifetime or however long it lasts.

10. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Make a note on your phone or computer with a list of every album you listen to. Stop buying CD's entirely until you have listened to 50 or 100 (might take a shorter time than you think) and then let yourself buy one or two new (or used) to enjoy. I think it is about addiction. It exists in many shapes and forms and it must be broken somehow.

Tjazz likes this.
  11. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Me too.......just ordered three more......have them coming every week......got one from japan this morning.

Front 242 Addict, gkella and timind like this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

And I just received Dead Can Dance, Aion in the mail a few minutes ago.:D

Front 242 Addict and libertycaps like this.
  13. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Killer CD!

Front 242 Addict and timind like this.
  14. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

A few years ago, over a period of a few months, I bought 10 new Roland Kirk CDs. Only this morning was the time right to finally hear them, though I did listen to them at least once after I bought them. :cool:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It's like everything; you don't read all your books everyday, you don't use the best crockery everyday, etc. - same with music, just enjoy it when you do listen to it.

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Tell yourself that you are a collector so it doesn't matter. Works for me.
    And collect stuff that will hold its value so you can justify frittering away your money. :D

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Front 242 Addict and Agora Mike like this.
  17. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Like most everyone else in this thread, I'm buying everything I can get my hands on, and most for dirt cheap. Discovering a lot of bands, and shoot even genres, that I just never gave a fair shake.
    I have certain times when I really enjoy going through the "Not Yet Played" box, and it's exciting when I can see I'm making some headway. But there are other times (usually when the wife's out of town), that I'll pull out my old favorites and rock the neighborhood for a few hours. I've got stuff I haven't played for 15 years or more, but I'm certainly glad I still have it when I can pop it in and still know every word to every song.
    It's a great time to be alive!

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I bought a house two years ago. That helped, sort of...

19. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Not a problems as long as you've got more money than you can spend!

20. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

It seems I burned through my budget for June already in the last few days. It's not even June yet. :help:

Could someone please knock me out and wake me up when it's July.

21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I don't usually do digital downloads, but I bought 46 albums today from a record label having $3 sale. That ought to hold me for awhile. Lol

22. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON :D

23. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Sounds like a "nice" problem to have!

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I've got 30 CDs I haven't even listened to yet.

No biggy

Just bought 6 more great titled M- CDs today for 50 cents each... a whole 'whopping' $3. LOL

It's like their free!! $3 - they are free!

Get them while their HOT!! Can't go wrong... only right!

:bdance:

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

1. Don't buy any more CDs until you have listened to all the ones you have, at least once.

2. Don't buy anything cheap that you wouldn't pay full price for.

3. Consider that each new CD you buy and listen to takes time away from the CDs you already own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.