Help me Build a Decent small system to play vinyl in my apartment for $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZOMPAPA216, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I didn't read most of this thread so apologies if my post is out of place.

If I spent $2500 on a rig. this is what I'd get. all used of course

PrimaLuna dialogue integrated amp $1k
    Either KEF LS50 or KEF R300 $1k
    Denon DP 51f $300 or so
    Denon 103r about $250
    You will need to stretch the budget to get a step up transformer.

But that rig right there. that's a giant killer. that's David with his slingshot.

There's a lot of good here. first off the PrimaLuna. tube integrated. point to point wiring. get one with the phono stage. absolute gem. serious value.

KEF speakers. LS50 got stereophile A rated. that's a big deal. I have the R300 and they're insanely good too.

Denon turntable. it's quartz locked which is what you want obviously. but the great thing about this is the tonearm. servo tracer. this is when turntables hit their peak in manufacturing. I doubt any boutique manufacturer could produce one now without an insane cost.

Denon 103r you need a MC cart. it's that simple. they rule. this one had been in production since the 60s it's broadcast quality and the costs have been eaten up over the decades. another giant killer.

And a step up transformer for it as it won't work with a MM phono stage.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. llannigan

llannigan Member

Rega Brio-R ($500-600 used or new at $995
    Rega Rega RP1 with performance kit ($499 now due to liquadation of old stock)
    Wharfedale Anniversary Denton ($500-$599) 0r B&W 685
    DIY if your into that type of thing. ($50-$200) or Blue Jean Cables at $300 for RCAs and Speaker Cables.
    Solid stand for set up and speakers. Goodwill, DIY, IKEA and Pangea for Speakers to name a few. ($10-$300.)

Use the rest of any cash to buy premium quality pressing of vinyl. Some great stuff out there right now. If you don't know the difference between most of these reissue labels, or read about their homerun hits or strike outs, you need to. When even played on decent but far from mid-if decks or phono amps, LPs by Miles Davis Kind of Blue on MFSL or the new Joe Jackson releases by Intervention Records can make your system sound epic. Buy a bunch of quickly released crap (won't name labels) that Barnes and Noble's carry in 65% of their stock, you'll seriously think your system is lacking something. You need to spend some bucks on a well made reference record first. Just Google audiophile labels. Once you learn to know the labels-- your collection of LPs will always be an asset to sell if you secure albums recorded, mixed, or remastered well. Just go buy Beck's Sea Change reissue by MFSL and use it as your barometer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    crestwood23 likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Bill Why Man and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

ZOMPAPA216 and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Dennis0675