Help me Build a Decent small system to play vinyl in my apartment for $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZOMPAPA216, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Fremer said the Planar 3 is the best 1000 buck turntable on the market in his AnalogPlanet review. I do believe he is analog guru for Stereophile and his reference table cost about the same as a new Porsche Turbo. Thats good enough for me. Glad you like your Pioneer, its a cheap copy of a turntable that I never liked. I've never understood the love for the Technics.

Ntotrar likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Planar is $945 w/o cartridge. With Elyse it's $1,145. If Planar is the choice, it might be possible to get the Bronze for the same price, when you call the people at Needledoctor and talk to someone. They're pretty amicable, and I've heard of these swaps being done.

The Pioneer is $699, the AT 150 SE mounted on headshell already is $373 from LPGear.com, for a total of $1,072. I myself would love to hear them side by side, for comparison / competition.

LP Gear Audio-Technica AT150Sa SET »

They also have mounted 440 mlA for $294 and mlB for $224 - these could compete with the Bronze. With the mlB, the cost of the rig would be $923 - $222 savings over Planar/Elyse, which could be nicely used towards the Dentons - andto stay in budget.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm using an Audio Technica OC9ML/II moving coil. If looking at the Sphinx or the Marantz, you'd need to budget for a step up device as the output is too low to be used straight into those amps. Denon makes a nice transformer you can get for $289. Fits inline between the turntable and amp.

The one issue with the Pioneer is that the azimuth (left/right tilt when viewed from the front) is off from the factory. Get the headshell linked below for $59. It's adjustable. Easy fix.

AudioPhile Black Headshell »

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yes, but he never reviewed the Pioneer. He did say the Rega runs fast. He said they all do. And I'm a former Rega owner myself. It was ok. The arm was the best part, and it was nice. Everything else was "meh." The number one job of a turntable is to run at the correct speed. Regas don't. Why the love? I fell for the hype. I don't get it.

I don't have any love for the Technics. After the SOTA, I wanted a turntable that worked without fuss. And I wanted good sound. That's what I got.

Herb Reichert said in his review of the Pioneer that it was competitive up to $2,000 FWIW.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  5. Benzion

If you look at Stereophile recommended components for 2016, the Pioneer is there, as class C, and it outperforms its price point. No Rega under RP-6 is mentioned at all, whatever Fremer's personal opinion is.

ZOMPAPA216 and HiFi Guy like this.
  6. Benzion

I will correct myself here - Rega RP 3 is also mentioned as Class C component. RP-8 is class B, which is no small thing, because other class B decks there go up to $35K

toddrhodes and HiFi Guy like this.
  7. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Dynaudio BM5A
    PS Audio GCPH (has volume control plug staight into Dynaudio)
    Audio Technica AT120 DD turntable
    Shure M97xE cart or Denon DL-110

Buy some beer and lps with left over money. You're welcome!

Guitarded, toddrhodes and ZOMPAPA216 like this.
  8. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I agree with your assessment of past Rega's (Not the big dogs). I didnt care for the RP3. I heard it several times on different level systems. The new Planar 3 is a different animal. It has a bass response that used to require a step up to an RP8 (which I do like). Rega learned a lot with that 40k turntable and they have adapted as much as possible to this new line. Fremer put a 1500 dollar cart on this table. No way a RP3 can handle a cart like that. I wouldnt buy an RP6 right now either, the new 330 arm is much better than the 303. The only thing the RP6 has on the new Planar is a better platter and the speed control, which can be added to the Planar 3. Of course, Rega is taking care of this with a new Planar 6 scheduled to come out later this year.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  9. ZOMPAPA216

ZOMPAPA216 Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion I've heard a lot of good things about the pioneers and the elac debut series too

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Another way to go might be the new powered KEF LS50s (around $2K) and then add a turntable/phono pre. The LS50s are terrific speakers for the money. I believe the new powered ones have a built-in DAC.

Still, my original recommendation of Peachtree Audio Nova and ELAC speakers stands. That combination sounds awfully good.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  11. ZOMPAPA216

Are the mullards current production or nos I know that tubes can get outrageous

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

13. ZOMPAPA216

Yeah I was wondering about maybe powered speakers with like a Vincent pho700 pre and a deck, the KEF s are fabulous I'm sure but at 2k leaves the rest of the budget a bit tight.

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Why not go used?

So many amazing classic amps,with primo phono stages, at crazy low prices out there.

George Blair likes this.
  15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sure, the rest of the budget would be tight but having a great speaker as a foundation would be a strong way to go. I would find a good KEF dealers and see if they are willing to do a package deal with a table included. You also save money on cables with powered speakers like the KEF.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You can do that but there are drawbacks to that option: out of warranty, lack of current technology, dealer support, maintenance headaches.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Dude is in Cleveland. Gotta be a dozen techs nearby.

...and I have never had to have a piece of vintage equipment (Nak Dragon Exempted) worked on more than once.

Also, it would free up a huge portion of his budget and ultimately land him better quality gear.

18. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

NOS. You don't have to do it right way or anything, or at all. But it's a nice performance boost when/if you want it. Figure $225 a pair (Upscale Audio. Expensive but reputable and trustworthy.)

19. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I'm in the Marantz camp. I was fortunate enough to find a Marantz 2230 at Goodwill a while ago. It's a wonderful receiver and I really liked the phono stage. But upgrade-itis hit me and I decided to go with a Lounge Audio preamp. I must say that this was a big improvement and the blue lights match. I am constantly looking through craigslist to see if I can score another old Marantz. Lots of power when you need it, but lots of detail when you just want a more peaceful listen.

Guitarded likes this.
  20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Or go used on current gear from someone with the upgrade bug. I saved $1500 on my Pharoah. My friend paid the same for his.

@Helom wants $460 shipped for his Pioneer PLX-1000. Box, packing etc.
    Hi Fi Heaven has a preowned Sphinx V2 (no remote) for $1099. Note- you only want the latest Version 2. Not the original.
    A pair of Wharfedale Dentons for $399 on closeout from Music Direct

Leaves plenty of money for a cartridge and speaker stands. Maybe a Ortofon Bronze for less than $300 from Thakker.eu

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  21. ZOMPAPA216

Pretty much, plus there is a ton more of a learning curve.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

At the very least, I would hunt down a couple local Techs. Never met one who couldn't answer your questions and let you demo a ton of refurbished gear.

Also, you could do a lot worse than some of the recommendations that are available here.

...and, I only mention the option because I have been in a similar place and I would have saved at least a couple of grand that way over the years. Also. Just one good deal on a vintage Amp / Deck or Upgraded Amp / Speakers will free up a lot of cash for a better cart. /Speakers / Turntable.

ZOMPAPA216 and HiFi Guy like this.
  23. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I paid $930 for my Planar 3 with Elys 2 cart. Shipping included.

24. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I used the AT LP120USB for a while when I first got into vinyl, and for a bit as a backup table, but was always dissatisfied with the general build quality and motor noise.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  25. arem

arem Forum Resident

This would be a really good starting point for a system. Get the Elac B5's for $230 and you have over a grand for a nice amp.

bluemooze and Vinyl Addict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.