Help! My 5U4 Rectifier Tube went out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris M, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don New Member

Maybe you've got a rectifier behind your wall outlet. ;)

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Sounds the same as before. Think it's OK to play it until I get it looked at.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Play it, sure. Watch the other tubes for any weird bright glowing.

See, the rectifier takes the AC current from the wall and turns it into dangerous DC current. Without this converted electricity the amp shouldn't be able to function.

Either it works or it doesn't. If it's working, continue to use it. Email Cary's Dennis Had on Monday for sure.

4. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I've got the same amp and experienced the same situation a while back. One tube of a pair that I bought on eBay suddenly stopped glowing and was cold to the touch. But music continued to play. I [possibly incorrectly] came to the conclusion that 5U4s aren't that important in the chain on this particular amp.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm a *****. It's the tube that's bad not the socket. Here's what I did, I put tube #1 in the left socket. It glowed. I put tube #1 in the right socket. It glowed. I then put tube #2 in the left socket. No glow. I put tube #2 in the right socket. It glowed. Both socket are working, it's one of the rectifiers that's bad. Both channels are somehow still working with only one of the rectifiers plugged in. Next time I'll label the tubes so I don't get confused :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.