Help! Teac A-4070 Reel To Reel Player - no sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wbhendrix, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

i just inherited my grandfather's Teac A-4070 Reel to Reel player and I am super eager to get it working to hear some of his old recordings from the radio.

I found the manuel online and went through it trying to learn how it works and i think i have enough of a grasp to understand the basics. I've been playing around with it the last few hours and cannot seem to get it to play. Do i have this set up correctly? When i press play the tapes move, i can hear slight static coming from the speakers but the "needles" on the left that indicate sound are not moving and i cannot hear sound out of the speakers. Anyone know what could possibly be wrong with it or maybe i'm just not doing it right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Make sure the output control is turned up, and check the cables on the back are connected to "play" or "line out". You may have to jog the switches and controls to get sound, the source/ monitor switch and the output control. Any deck that's been sitting will need cleaning up and lube by a tech... it may start working, but you'll get static and maybe some intermittent operation, and not performing to spec.

The red "Record" switch can cause problems too. The playback signal routes through that switch. The contacts develop oxidation, and this can cause a complete loss of audio. (in PLAY and REC) Just try jogging the "rec switch repeatedly. Make sure the tape is not loaded or you may cause a drop out on the tape. make sure the volume on your amp is down, cause you'll get lots of static. You may have to repeat many times, and may hear all kinds of noises, feedback squeal, howl, hum, and all of it intermittent.

All it needs is TLC by a knowledgeable tech. I hope nobody sprays deoxit, the stuff works, but the contacts will soon reoxidize. Use only contact cleaner, and operate the switch until it is clean.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. wbhendrix

do i have the tape going correctly through the heads?

4. The FRiNgE

Yes!

5. wbhendrix

sorry, this may be a dumb question... but the tape doesn't seem to be touching any magnets (or whatever they're called) to extract the sound. Is it supposed to be touching anything directly other than the metal shaft parts?

6. The FRiNgE

In PLAY, when the reels are turning, the tape should contact the heads (the four square pieces) The posts are called guides and lifters. In PLAY mode, the lifters move in, to allow the tape to contact the heads. In STOP, FF and REW, the lifters are in the position shown in your photos, so the tape does not contact the heads. We want tape to head contact only in PLAY and REC operation.

When a deck has been sitting, the grease hardens up. So it is possible the tape lifters are stuck. You said the tape moves, however stuck lifters also means (usually) the pinch roller is also stuck (the large rubber roller)

Sometimes the tape lifters will move with a nudge. Try moving them manually after you hit "PLAY". But also be advised they may be really seized up, and the deck must be disassembled cleaned and lubed.. which It needs anyway

These tips may help to play the tapes, at least for now.
    Your deck needs servicing.

7. wbhendrix

thanks! i pressed the heads down and they engaged the tape but then it started not turning. I wasn't turning but i can see the meters on the left moving when i manually turn the tapes.

i'll buy some lube and get to cleaning.

8. wbhendrix

can you help point me in the right direction for cleaning products and techniques?

I'm reading the manuel right now and it says to use the E-1 Head demagnetizer and their cleaner. Can i use the following products instead?

universal demagnetizer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-DEMAGNETIZER-Cassette-Recorder-Track/dp/B003ZKLP4W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1448750254&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=reel to reel demagnetizer

cleaner :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CaiKleen-re...599651?hash=item5d55edb2a3:g:18cAAOSwrklU8SqP

9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That demagnetizer won't help at the moment... and neither will that cleaner you linked to. In fact, I would not use that "rubber rejuvenator" at all. You need to get inside this machine, clean off the old grease which has hardened on the mechanical parts, and get them moving again. Some isopropyl alcohol will help. But if you don't know what you're doing, I would not advise opening this thing up.

You could hit "play" and "stop" a few dozen times, just to see if things loosen up and the tape lifters start moving out of the way. Are you sure this tape has anything recorded on it?

10. The FRiNgE

The universal demagnetizer will do the job. The rubber rejuvenator is not necessary, and may harm the pinch roller. The Teac pinch roller rubber holds up well. I have never seen one go bad. Do not use the rejuvenator on the rubber. Clean the pinch roller with isopropyl alcohol and Q tip. Clean also the heads. tape tensioners, guides and lifters.

These items are for keeping the heads and transport clean, very important, but this will not remedy the problem.

Your Teac needs to be serviced by a qualified technician. If you go inside yourself, just be prepared to replace the deck with a refurbished machine that you can purchase online. First attempts usually fail. (including myself when I started tinkering) All of the mechanical parts inside must be disassembled, old grease removed, cleaned, air dried with compressed air (to remove dust and lint) and re-greased. The capstan bearing and pinch roller bearing must also be cleaned and relubed with the correct oil. Idler wheels must be de-greased and deglazed, and their bearings lubricated, the counter belt replaced. All of the electrical contacts have to checked for operation and cleaned.. and they usually need cleaning. You really have to know what you're doing to fix it. Be sure to unplug it.. I always say this as I always have to remind myself, just to make sure!

My suggestion is to buy a refurb unit online, a similar Teac model will set you back about $150.00 to $200.00 for a properly restored deck. Do not buy an unrestored deck claimed to be working by the seller. The deck may operate, but you'd be wasting your money as they usually are NOT operating correctly despite all claims. You could consider selling your unit for parts or restoration since it is complete, and appears to be in nice shape. Your model has an "as is" value of about $30.00 pls shipping (that's all, no more) as a deck for restoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.