Hendrix 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheq, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheq

Sheq New Member Thread Starter

There appear to be a load of Hendrix reissues coming on Legacy (available for preorder on sites like Amazon). Does anyone know if these are likely to be represses of the 2010 versions? I'm guessing that's what's going to happen.

Socrates likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

2015: a mermaid he should turn to be...........?

Shak Cohen and joeislive like this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It seems confusing from a quick look.

The 2015 Are You Experienced seems to be a double album like the 2010 Music on Vinyl, with 16 tracks. So it looks at first glance like the 11 track original UK track listing, with extras...My Hendrix Legacy from 2014 (or 2010, I forget) has the US psychedelic cover and the US track listing, which included the hits Purple Haze and Hey Joe.

The 2010/14 (family approved) Legacy ones are really nice in my view (I also have Axis and Ladyland). Mono or stereo. Heavy vinyl. Analogue mastering by Bernie Grundman and pressed at QRP. They were available new very cheaply earlier this year but seem to have suffered a big price hike recently, maybe due to the reissues.

Anyway, it suggests further research is needed before you buy. If you can still find the earlier ones for less I'd probably go with those...but just my thoughts.

dee, Naughty Chord and Sheq like this.
  4. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

"So down and down and down and down and down and down we go . . . . "

kanakaris likes this.
  5. +1. I bought several of the 2010 releases and they are wonderful.

dee, razorball, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Continue the bickering and name-calling if you want a short vacation from here.

Please continue with Jimi talk.

7. Sheq

Cheers all. Passed up a 2014 press today at a record fair, but will look out for the 2010 ones on the meantime. I only have the CDs (from '97 I think :()

8. old school

old school Senior Member

Rule #1 you never bicker when talking Jimi!

Sean, John Fell, ralphk and 3 others like this.
  9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I snagged a mint second hand 2010 US Axis stereo the other day it sounds amazing, up there with Classic Mono.
    I have all the 2010 ones now, all great & easy enough to pick up still. Surely these 2015 versions are just represses may even be digital, seems to be the popular thing now. Until a company like Analogue Productions or Music Matters tries to work magic with the tapes Jimi's first four releases I will not be rebuying anything. I also just got a French Isle of Wight AYE mono in mint condition that I had been searching for awhile.

razorball and Sheq like this.
  10. Sheq

Er... at the risk of alienating vinyl enthusiasts, would anyone recommend the CD / DVD deluxe packages? :help:

alchemy likes this.
  11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I enjoyed the DVDs. Eddie Kramer discussing the construction of each album and playing the multi tracks.

Sheq likes this.
  12. Sheq

Thank you.

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Depends what you want really, portability for the car & a little crappy doc that's probably on the tube or some wicked sounding slab of black love vinyl that will melt you. I would suggest the vinyl

Sheq likes this.
  14. Sheq

Affordability, primarily, but your point is well made.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

-can't use my name
    -atlanta cd/lp/dvd/blu
    -Burning Desire Dagger LP debut for Black Friday

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

All the Legacy-stamped issues are worth having. They've helped to
    erase the sour-stomach-inducing MCA issues in the early 90s with
    the most horrible covers ever.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I would like EXP Hendrix to release his catalogue in 24bit & MFiT, reckon it is about time. Then we get portability with affordability.

fluffskul and Sheq like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

19. Sheq

20. Sheq

Turns out I have the '93 Gastwirt mastered CDs.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Rockinrob and Purple Jim like this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was never so happy to get rid of cds as I was those. Get the 2010s.

Sheq likes this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I've posted on this on the other Hendrix thread, but here goes, and Gordon could chime in on any information i'm wrong on:

Back in 1997, when MCA AND Experience Hendrix started working on the 'Families' official re introduction of the core catalog they pressed up the Core 3 on 180 gram vinyl and called it their 'Back to Black' series. Amongst this series they also pressed up a DOUBLE LP VERSION OF ARE YOU EXPERIENCED, with the second disc containing six songs not on the original American release. I just bought myself a second copy of this off of eBay, in NM condition for $29. Gatefold cover and booklet were included.
    Then fast forward to 2010 when Experience Hendrix corp signed with SONY to distribute the catalog and they also repressed the core 3 plus started in earnest the 'great catalog expansion' campaign. They did NOT press up the double album AYE though, instead they pressed up separate UK editions AND the American format edition.
    Now, in 2014 it seems that SONY made the decision to start having Quality Records press up the future runs of the Hendrix catalog, on 200 gram vinyl starting with 'Cry Of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge'. At the same time, I'm guessing that the original pressing runs of the core Vinyl were/are starting to sell out/depleting their stock. And for some reason Music On Vinyl is pressing up, the older MCA 2lp format editions of AYE and Axis, at ridiculous prices. We've also seen in 2015, Quality pressings of AYE/Axis and EL on 200 gram. But again, at a list price of $25.98 as opposed to the original 2010 Sony releases that I believe were $18.98 list prices.

I will say that the Original 'Back To Black' MCA vinyl releases sound wonderful. I've compared AYE with the 2010 Sony's and they both sound the same, ie: Excellent.
    Oh, and I did buy from Amazon 2 copies of 'Hear My Music' 2lp for $17.99 each, a great deal.

Also the other guy who has/does still master some Jimi Vinyl 'RJ' does as good a job as Bernie. They both do excellent work on the Jimi Vinyl releases. So just because something is not mastered by Bernie doesn't mean you should shy away from it. Both these guys have done some mighty fine mastering work for EH.

the beave

24. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I will love to have Hear My Music on LP. IMHO, that is one of the absolute best Dagger releases -- Side C will be heavy in the musical rotation in my house this December ... excited about this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.