Hendrix 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheq, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Black Friday Record Store Day list of titles is officially made public Oct 27th for the Nov 27th event. Some acts will announce before hand.

Opeth likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

The 3 extra songs are Red house/Message to Love/Freedom. Only Freedom has completely unseen film by fans.

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/news/...al-2cd2lp-out-august-28-jimi-hendrix-electric

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church DVD/Blu-ray (release date: October 30)
    Contains performances of three additional songs not included in the broadcast version of the film, and other never before released Hendrix bonus content

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Agreed that Peter Gunne and 3 Little Bears were a waste of space but the rest was top drawer stuff and I think Tax Free and Midnight fit nicely alongside the rest, adding blistering intrumental "interludes". The problem with that First Rays compilation was its lack of diversity, leaning too heavily on straight rock tracks.
    The whole thing has been totally f****d up all down the line.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

War Heroes is short enough that they could combine it with Loose Ends but that would be too logical. They need to add some bonus cuts if they reissue it

old school likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

Red House/Room Full of Mirrors/Freedom

Are the correct 3 songs. It does appear that EH dropped a song in the past 2 months.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think if they did that, it would break the flow of the re-release run following COL and RB, which didn't carry bonuses. An expanded "Loose Ends" would be a good way to tidy up the remaing bits and bobs in order to eliminate South Saturn Delta. However, if they keep First Rays and SSD on catalogue, Jimi's post Ladyland work will remain a confusing, incoherant tangle of songs.

John Fell likes this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It will be incoherent whether or not they keep First Rays and South Saturn Delta in print.

Lonson and Purple Jim like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

First Rays with the exception of My Friend at least didn't mix later period tracks with Experience era tracks like Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes did.

9. Sheq

Sheq New Member Thread Starter

The 2015 Legacy reissues are the same as the 2010 issues. They have 2010 and 2015 printed on the back cover.

johnnybrum, Purple Jim and dino77 like this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

So, non-news.

11. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I own no Hendrix on vinyl and the situation is making my head spin a bit - mono/stereo, US/UK tracklists, single/double LPs, enough reissues going around that it's hard to know exactly what you're buying online.. Should I just get these new ones and have done with it?

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

This!

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

14. nbadge

nbadge the stars were right

Agreed. Perhaps the Dylan 18 CD 1965-1966 set will "inspire" Experience Hendrix into issuing a historically accurate, comprehensive set of all possible First Rays material. The 20+ tracks that Hendrix mixed with Kramer have never been issued completely nor together in any set. That would make the ultimate "disc 1." The restored "Power Of Soul" mixed by Jimi and Bob Hughes issued on Record Store Day in 2013 is still only available as the b-side of the "Somewhere" vinyl single and remains the only genuine essential release since. Hopefully, John McDermott will get his time to shine and we will get entire sessions like June 24th with Beginnings -> Hey Baby -> Keep On Movin'. We all long for the unadulterated straight up takes of Valleys Of Neptune and Midnight Lightning. Black Gold does exist and of course that contains completely unheard compositions but based on McDermott's descriptions in Ultimate Hendrix, there is still so much more. It boggles the mind that it still eludes a cohesive presentation.

PacificOceanBlue, Chris M and crozcat like this.
  15. Sheq

Sheq New Member Thread Starter

I think so.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That would be too logical for Experience Hendrix.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I was about to get this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...liid=I1G44JT0487LOU&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Then saw the words "Sony". They released the Stone Roses début album and Jeff Buckleys "Grace" in the UK over the last two years, and they where the worst things I have ever heard on vinyl. Suffice to say I got shot of them sharpish.

MODS - Why is it when I put in this link "http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...liid=I1G44JT0487LOU&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl" it changes to Barnes and Noble?????

18. SoundAdvice

EH have 600 hours of Multitrack Hendrix.

BTW, the Dylan box is $600 for 18 Cds, fancy book and some knick knacks.

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just saw the most recent Sony Legacy (October 2015) reissues of... Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland and Axis Bold As Love in record stores here in Dublin.

After reading all the posts in this thread, can anybody confirm yet that they are the same as the 2010 Bernie Grundman analog mastered LPs.

Don't want to buy them and find out they are not the same.

JG

20. James Glennon

BUMP!

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The same

22. James Glennon

Thanks for that! I have the 1997 (if I remember correctly) digital versions of all his albums. Would like to have the Bernie Grundman double LP version of Are You Experienced.

JG

23. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I just got that item a few years ago and it blew me away too. I think of it as the Band of Gypsys' "studio album" Capitol should have released in 1970

24. James Glennon

I was in town today and I checked one of the Sony Legacy Hendrix titles and they are not the Bernie Grundman mastered versions. They are in fact the Music on Vinyl versions, they have MOV with matrix numbers. Very disappointed!

JG

Mumdad and Purple Jim like this.
  25. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Great, that muddies the waters even further then. Almost impossible to know what you're actually getting if you buy at most places online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.