Hendrix on vinyl - which ones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snork, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

I am curious, have you compared already? I would like to know how my German copy fits in.

2. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Great list, prof. I'm pleased to see someone else enthusing over the Experience H Are You Experienced. I thought I was on my own!

3. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I don't know about the EH AYE CD, but I love the new vinyl, which sounds much better than my old reprise.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No Cry of Love? Check out a Track original. - Nice. :agree:

5. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Yup, they gotta do this one.

6. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

oops - see below

7. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

8. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Interesting focus on late 70's Reprise (WB) pressings.

ABAL Stereo:
    The US Stereo tri color Original sounds beautiful, much more so than any of the half dozen US Copies I have heard/owned.

ELL
    I have already made my fondness of the original UK track.

For the Reprise post-mortem early 70s stuff:
    Robert Ludwig 1A x2 pressign sound great

I look forward to the Barclay when I have the chance, the US AYE are poo poo platters.

C

razorball likes this.
  9. Key

Key New Member

I blelieve Prof Stoned was refering to the 1997 EH vinyl not the Universal Japan. He speculated that the universal probably had the EQ boosted on high end and I think he is right or maybe I am hearing that brittleness from DSD that every talks about. I could post clips of both I still haven't A/Bed them and I am never one to totally trust my musical memory. I will say that the Universal is a much much cleaner pressing and I think they did the artwork from the original negatives (haha at least they got that right).

10. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Yes, I meant the MCA '97, of which the platters have been reused for the recent B2B.

11. Chanty Stovall

Chanty Stovall Forum Resident

I recently purchased the French Barclay 'Are You Experienced' LP with the Isle of Wight cover and it is a mini-revelation over the UK Mono AYE. Thanks for recommending this Prof Stoned! :thumbsup:

Turning to compilations, I find many of the Stereo tracks from the Polydor Singles Collection sound better over the 1A/1A US Reprise Smash Hits I have. I also compared the UK Mono Smash Hits to some of the Mono tracks on the Polydor Singles Collection and threw in the UK Track 'Wind Cries Mary/Highway Chile' Mono 45. The 45 sounds the best against the same tracks on Smash Hits, but not by leaps and bounds.

I honestly cannot tell if the UK Mono Smash Hits is a fold down or not. When compared to the WCM/HC 45 and the mono tracks off of the Polydor Collection, Jimi's voice does ring a tad bit louder on the UK mono Smash hits, and the bass is slightly boomier - symptoms of a fold-down - but the differences are not huge. At this point, I am most likely going to reach for the Polydor Singles Collection when I want to listen to the Hendrix 'hits'. I'd like to track down the French Barclay Super Hits collection and do a comparison.

What is the story on the EH singles collection? Do they sound significantly better over the UK Track singles, and some of the French Polydor singles?

12. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

I was just about to compare my UK mono LP and my other sources, and chime in. I'll do it tomorrow and report. I'm leaning towards a compilation of (mostly at least) dedicated mixes.
    Doc

13. Key

Key New Member

Some do some don't. Foxey Lady, STPwLSD, Highway Chile and I think some others are from second gen sources that sound pretty bad. I think the rumor is too that only like 1 song was actually cut from analog and the rest cut from digital. But still Hey Joe, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, Purple Haze, and most of the others sound like they either match or are better than other issues that I have heard.

14. LFSDoc

ok, I have compared my UK Track mono Smash Hits (A2/B2) to my UK mono AYE (A1/B1) and the only 7" I have, i.e. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (A1/B1), and also to some needledrops of the original singles.
    Apart from the EQ, which is sometimes different, I'm absolutely convinced that the UK mono Smash Hits is NOT a folddown, as all mixes are identical.
    Hope this helps.
    Doc

15. Chanty Stovall

Excellent. :thumbsup: Yes, those subtle EQ differences threw me off, but I agree, the mixes sound the same.

16. Chanty Stovall

Good information, Thanks!

17. prof. stoned

Er, I said it was a folddown of the FAKE stereo version (which was derived from the mono mixes), so -yes- technically the mixes are the same.

18. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Hi Key,

Is your answer above in reference to the Classic Records/Experience Hendrix "Classic Singles Collection, Vol 2"?

19. LFSDoc

yes, I get your point, and while technically this could be plausible, my ears tell me it is not :winkgrin:
    On some tracks I find slight differences in EQ, but several others sound very similar to other mono sources I've compared. I'd expect a folddown of a fake stereo source to sound much worse...
    But you might have other reasons to think it is, and be absolutely right, as it often happens :righton:
    Anybody else think it is a folddown?
    thanks!
    Doc

20. Chanty Stovall

I like the sound on all of them, the UK mono Smash Hits, the mono AYE, and the mono tracks from the Polydor Singles Collection, with the Wind Cries Mary/Highway Chile 45 sounding the best.

I do not think that I will ever get around to spinning the US Stereo Smash Hits again, but I do like the poster that was included with it.

21. prof. stoned

OK, I got the B2B Axis today.
    It sounds much like that Reprise copy that I mentioned except that the low-end has been boosted heavily.
    Some people may like that but I think it sounds terrible.
    Definitely not the final word on this stereo mix. :thumbsdn:

22. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Hey Hendrixphiles!

Quick question about the BOG 200g on Classic:

For those of you that bought the LP before it's latest pressing, did it have Bernie Grundman's initials in the deadwax or EK/GM?

Thanks in advance.

23. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Is this what it looks like?

[​IMG]

24. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I bought mine 3 years ago or so. Its a Classic 200 gram pressing with a 35th Anniversary sticker on it and "EK/GM" and "Sterling" in the deadwax.

It sounds fantastic.

25. prof. stoned

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.