Hendrix "Steppin' Stone"--TWO Buddy Miles mixes!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve E., Apr 21, 2008.

1. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll Thread Starter

2. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Thanks for posting.

Anyone know anything about the engineer Bob Hughes, credited on the singles?

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

There was another 45 "Freedom" which was paired with "Ezy Rider", also different Mixes on that too,also done by Hendrix,also pulled a week after He'd passed,in 1971.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Steve E. likes this.
  4. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll Thread Starter

Really????? Wow.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

As an avid 45/record collector. I'd love to see a picture of that single.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would like to hear more about that. This revelation was mentioned in the ongoing Cry Of Love/Rainbow Bridge thread. No final mix for Freedom was ever completed by Hendrix, so I am confused where this information comes from. Apparently, the only final mixes approved by Hendrix were Dolly Dagger, Night Bird Flying, Ezy Ryder, and Straight Ahead. Additionally, why would Hendrix have been concerned with producing another single when the focus of July and August 1970 was finishing the 4th studio album. When you say "done by Hendrix," I guess we can assume an alternate mix of Freedom from the archives different from Cry Of Love, but essentially an alternate, unfinished outtake version apparently prepared in 1971?

reb and turnersmemo like this.
  7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] The Flip was "Angel" tried to link it,but can't!

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[/QUOTE] The Flip was "Angel" tried to link it,but can't![/QUOTE]

Can you post the website URL? I know how to link the image here and can post it for you.

Thanks!

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

So, it looks like the Freedom/Angel single was simply a posthumous single from the Cry Of Love album (not a Hendrix sanctioned single) that quickly sunk off the charts or was quickly pulled for some reason.

11. jpgeesaman

jpgeesaman Forum Resident

The "Stepping Stone"/"Izabella" single... as far as I know, those mixes have never been officially released (maybe I'm wrong? or available on an unofficial release?). If you've heard the 45 mixes, which of the many versions that ARE available would you say are the closest?

Thanks!

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I believe the original single mixes of these two songs are featured on the Voodoo Child compilation.

Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection - Wikipedia

jpgeesaman and slipkid like this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not quite. Though they are similar (maybe from the same mixing session), they are different mixes to the original single.

jpgeesaman and Spencer R like this.
  14. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It may be one of those things where the tapes to those specific mixes may be lost. Prof Stoned may be the best choice for those particular ones.

There's a terrific breakdown of every single mix of each other there, both official and unofficial, can't remember who had it though (@Purple Jim, is it on your page?)

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I did have a link on my site to a page by Steve Espinola but the link is dead. There is this old thread here (which links to Steve's samples etc.):
    Hendrix "Steppin' Stone"--TWO Buddy Miles mixes!!

16. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Don't know why this rather dated thread just appeared, but it is one I do have opinions about...

I heard the War Heroes version ("Mitch Mitchell's Abomination"?!) first, which I played approximately a million times. Probably why I still prefer it, though philosophically I would be biased toward the BoG version. The Buddy mixes just sound a bit chaotic and overamped to me - qualities that I would normally welcome, but in this particular case I think the amping-down of the Mitch version, with drums less prominent, showcases the utter awesomeness of the song, with all its sections and guitar parts, somewhat better - with a muscular swing to it. The others just sound a bit frenetic, and the drum pattern a bit...gimmicky. One lopes, the other jitters.

This is all, I should say, very minor quibbling. I love the song in both versions, comfortably in my Top 10 Hendrix songs...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Forgive me if you have previously stated it but do you prefer Mitch or Buddy on Stepping Stone?

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I prefer the original War Heroes version with Mitch by far. It works better with the single track vocal and it's an all round better mix. The Buddy version (with the annoyingly repetitive galloping drums) sounds more like a rough/experiment mix.

Deek57 and Jon-A like this.
  19. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

I disagree. Maybe the mix is more concise and fleshed out, but the Mitch drum track sounds exactly like what it is....an overdub added after the fact that floats over the top and doesn't lock in. I feel that way about all of his replaced drum tracks, and often his live drumming. It's as though he couldn't hear well enough when he was playing. I know people revere him, but...

Cool hand luke likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I revere him and find Buddy Miles' drumming to appalling for the most part.

Deek57 likes this.
  21. SilverBottomSavior

I'm not wild about Buddy either, but at least he usually hit the mark. I will leave it at that.

22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I strongly suspect Mitch's drum overdub Stepping Stone was recorded posthumously. I have a hard time believing *any* drum replacing was done during Jimi's lifetime.

23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'm the other way, Mitch's part is kind of all over the place and strange for a Hendrix song, there are too many guitars going on. Some of the mixes of Drifter's Escape have the same issue.

On the other hand, the WH Izabella is punchier, the solo is better and better sounding and the backing vocals are brought into the mix nicely.

24. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

The original "Stepping Stone b/w Izabella" single was released by Experience Hendrix/MCA as part of The Singles Collection boxed set in 2003.

Unfortunately it's really hard to find.

25. SilverBottomSavior

Are you sure those are the originals and not the slightly different alternates used for "Voodoo Child"?

crozcat likes this.