DCC Archive henry mancini question for steve hoffman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

hey steve,

well, failing to find a domestic CD copy, i bit the bullet and purchased a japanese import of "mr. lucky goes latin" (this album brings back fond "cocktail culture" childhood memories for me. in the late 60's, it was constantly warbling away in the background as my parents danced around the house).

anyway, it's a 20-bit remaster of an RCA living stereo title from 1960, and it sounds fantastic.

however, while there is abundant recording personnel information, there is scant recording session info.

incidentlly, the album was engineered by al schmitt, who would later go on to produce the jefferson airplane. that's why i suspect it was recorded at RCA studios in n. hollywood.

so, i guess my question is, do you think that's true?

also, it sounds like a live-to-three-track recording to me. do you think that's true, too.

i don't mean to be a burden, but thanks in advance for any light you could shed on the recording of this wonderful album.

later, chris

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hmmm, interesting! For me, the "cocktail culture" was Herb Albert and the T Brass. I just have a few scratchy old records.... wonder if there is anything on CD?

Wonder if the CD store guys will laugh off their heads if I ask? Who cares - it brings back warm memories of home to me!

:cool:

3. christopher

thanks so much for confirming my suspisions and providing that information.

later, chris

4. christopher

sadly, not enough; greatest hits, mostly.

actually, i've heard herb is reluctant to release "whipped cream and other delights" but i haven't heard why.

later, chris

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

There's a Japanese A&M import of Whipped Cream out there, might search it out.

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

While we're talking about Mr. Mancini, does anyone have any comments on the sound quality of the Days Of Wine & Roses box set that came out a few years ago?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.