Here's my new set up.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

So for today at least, I'm okay with my system. I decided to get back into the game a couple of weeks ago and this is what I've ended up with.

Clearaudio Concept -->
    Rega Fono Mini -->
    CablePro cables -->
    Kenwood receiver from 90s (it's the weak link but it was my late grandfather's and i miss him).
    Wharfedale 10.1 speakers (on Sanus stands <--Awesome purchase for $38)

I have it resting on a walnut Salamander table.

I'm playing a lot of Beatles, Dylan, Prince, and Cat Power. It sounds wonderful.

I do NOT have any more money to spend today. Please don't tell me I should have bought XXX instead of XXX.

I do plan to change my receiver, but the Rega is such a great little preamp I don't know if I need to (today).

And although I just got the Diamonds, I kind of wish I'd gone with Regas or something not made in China or Korea. Even though I'm really digging them, they may be upgraded next.

I think it all cost me a tad over 2200. How did I do?

bluemooze, jon9091 and TimArruda like this.
  2. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I don't know the products but you did great on the cost. Enjoy it for a while then think about upgrading.

3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

As for hot sauces - Melindas XXXX is better than the XXX.

Also for other things XXX is better than X.

:) Hope that helps.

4. thesisinbold

So you're saying I have to start all over?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Mutually exclusive?

6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Yes, no and maybe. :)

Seriously though it's about what sounds good to you. If your happy listening to what you have don't worry so much about it. There was no mention of the size of the room. There was no mention of what cartridge you were using additionally.

From what I have found, the cartridge makes a huge difference, phono stage to a lesser degree (but then I made a huge leap in quality going to the current Ares I have - also SS to tube, and another $200 in tubes). The turntable itself probably about the same as the phono stage (to a a degree again - modern TTs have a very steep diminishing return). My next TT will be a SME but do I expect it to be 3x better than the VPI I'm currently using? No. Does the VPI give 4x the performance than the cost of my old Technics, no. It does sound better, more defined than the old setup - is what it is but that is also a difference in carts. My old Goldring GL2500 compared to the Soundsmith.

Even then I wouldn't be in such a big rush to upgrade your receiver. The sentimental aspects also enhance your listening experience. Then again you could have a KR-9600 which is pretty nice in itself.

Receivers and pre/pros are such a crap shoot today with the electronics being built into them. It's a never ending upgrade if you are going to use this in a home theater setup too. I'd like my next to be my last so will avoid something that is more HDMI specific and go full analog.

Cables is another area where I would not go crazy upgrading them. The one from your TT to phono pre/receiver is probably the most important cable due to the low level of the signal.

7. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

That's pretty much all you need to know.

bluemooze and thesisinbold like this.
  8. thesisinbold

Holy ****. I am having so much fun with this.

morinix likes this.
  9. thesisinbold

[​IMG]

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, does their being made in Asia make them sound worse?

RS1s certainly are great; but I think the Wharfedales are immense value for the money. I had 10.2s, which replaced my RS1s! (Currently running Dentons - yup, I like the brand.)

11. thesisinbold

No, their country of origin doesn't matter regarding sound, I just like buying things that aren't made in China.

12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Great; don't think about upgrading, buy more music.

thesisinbold likes this.
  13. thesisinbold

I'm trying too!

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Good man. Never give up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.