Here's some Criterion DVD 'Monterey Pop' news...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Eddie Kramer finishes 5.1 mixes for the Janus Films/Criterion DVD

Legendary engineer Eddie Kramer (Jimi Hendix, Led Zepplin) recently put the finishing touches on the 5.1 mixes for the Janus Films/Criterion DVD of DA Pennebaker's documentary "Monterey Pop" at NRG Studios. Mixed on a 5.1 set of Dynaudio Acoustics BM15A's and BX30A subwoofer, the DVD scheduled for release in 2002 documents one of the seminal events of the 1960's. Eddie's surround remix was done from the original Wally Heider/Robert Van Dyke 1in. 8 track tapes that were found to be in good condition and did not require baking. Providing one of several reverb layers for the project was a TC Electronic System 6000 that also provided the bass management for the surround system. Studio veteran Casey Young assisted Kramer on several of the non-performance music tracks for the DVD, using the System 6000 UNWRAP algorithm, repurposing existing stereo tracks into 5.1, where multi-track masters were not available.

Officially dubbed THE FIRST ANNUAL MONTEREY INTERNATIONAL POP MUSIC FESTIVAL, the event was filmed on June 16th, 17th and 18th, 1967, and occurred two years before the other defining musical event of the 60's, the Woodstock Festival. Monterey Pop was the launch pad for the careers of performers like Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Otis Redding, and Janis Joplin. Perfomances by The Mamas and The Papas, Canned Heat, The Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, Ravi Shankar, The Animals, 32 groups in total, rounded out the bill. Over 200,000 people attended the event over the 3 days of music.

Performances on the DVD will include: Janis Joplin With Big Brother and the Holding Company "Combination of the Two" Scott McKenzie "If You're Going To San Francisco" The Mamas and the Papas "Creque Alley", "California Dreamin'", "I've Got A Feelin'" Canned Heat "Rollin and Tumblin'" Hughy Masekela "Bajabula Bonke" (Healing Song) Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick "High Flyin' Bird", "Today" Eric Burden and the Animals "Paint it Black" The Who "My Generation" Country Joe and the Fish "Section 43" Otis Redding "Shake", "I've Been Loving You Too Long" Jimi Hendrix "Wild Thing" Ravi Shankar "Raga Bhimpalasi.

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Should be a fun! Not sure about how remixing stuff from 1967 will sound done on a modern digital workstation, but luckily, I never seem to care as much about the audio quality when I'm watching a video - the visuals provide enough distraction for me to almost never notice if the sound is nice and warm or not.

I'm curious what Steve has to say about the TC Electronics delay they're using. I know that in the guitarist world TC is considered high end, but I wonder if it has as high a rep in the pro audio world.

3. Todd Fredericks

I was talking to my friend Paul about this (who sent me the announcement). It sounds like Kramer is going an extra mile to get all the sound workable in 5.1. He's mostly likely creating the pseudo surround (from the few stereo only available material) so that the transition doesn't become too dramatic for the listener. Hopefully, he's not being too agressive with this. Also, I agree about it's a shame he's using a "digital" reverb unit for processing the dry multi-tracks to 5.1 but maybe (speculating) it would've been to labor intensive to get a more suitable system together for this project. It sounds like he's had a lot of work to do on this "restoration". Criterion is hoping this will be one of their biggest releases. I hope they do well with it because they're a great company...

Todd

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

forget Woodstock, Monterey Pop was -the- event of the 60's. Everybody who was anybody (save for the fabs) was there, you had Nico on the arm of Brian Jones fer cryin' out loud! Monterey flowed beautifully from beginning to end, which can't be said for Woodstock, either. The DVD should have tons of extras, like performances cut from the final film..hell...each performance at Monterey should get it's own 5.1 DVD special edition release!

5. Todd Fredericks

I think it was McCartney who got the wheels spinning on the festival in an effort to showcase Hendrix and some other acts he felt & strongly believed needed exposure...

Todd

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks for the update, Todd. For the reasons noted by others earlier in this thread, this is one I've been salivating for. Notwithstanding the 47 million people who claim to have been at Woodstock (I), to me, Monterey was the festival that changed just about everything- because of the music, not the hype. (In fact, I believe that the term "hype" was not even registered with the US Copyright Office until April 17, 1968.)

At any rate, I had heard that the Criterion release was going to be a 3 DVD set, with lots of stuff that was not in the movie or in the great, expanded Rhino CD box of a few years ago. However, I noticed that the selections listed the press release that you provided are songs that were in the movie. Can you get details from your friend? Sure would be nice to see the Byrds and the Springfield up there on the screen, not to mention Moby Grape. An approximate release date would be nice, too.

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks in advance.

7. Todd Fredericks

Bill,

I'm looking forward to this release also. My friend Paul (I just hate saying "friend" without names) doesn't have anything to do with Criterion (although I do know the someone at Kino). He's just a big fan who surfs the 'unoffical' forum for info. Here's a link to that site...

"Unofficial" Criterion site

and these are the possible DVD specs:

MP Festival specs

Todd

8. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the Criterion DVD set will incude 3 films and numerous extras. The three films are:

Monterey Pop (with additional footage)
    Jimi Plays Monterey (1986) Hendrix - entire performance
    Shake! Otis At Monterey (??) Otis Redding - entire performance

The last two films were assembled by Pennebaker from original footage shot for Monterey Pop and were released in the 80s.

I wouldn't worry about Criterion's handing of the 5.1. They did an EXCELLENT job with GIMME SHELTER, and are as committed to excellece in their field as Steve is in his. For Gimme Shelter, all existing 35mm stock was in such bad shape that Criterion went back to the original 16mm camera negatives and created/assembled new 35mm prints (which enjoyed a limited theatrical re-release) and did the digital transfers of the DVD from THAT.

Soundwise, they found the original 4 track sound masters and completely remastered the sound. They did an exceptional job, IMO. The disc comes with a Dolby 2.0 mix of the original soundtrack and both Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 remixes. I think the Dolby 2.0 version was mixed to duplicate the original film soundtrack as closely as possible. The Dolby 5.1 and DTS appear to be different remixes, although it may just be differences in the way Dolby and DTS process channel information. The DTS track has a wider soundstage, and a little more depth, but both are very good.

If Gimme Shelter is any indication of the way Criterion handles music documentaries, Monterey Pop should be a real winner, and the 3 disc set will probably include just about everything they can find that is still usable.

Also, release of the set, which was originally scheduled for August, has been delayed untill AT LEAST September, possibly longer. The reason for the delay has not been specified.

9. KLM

KLM Senior Member

WOW, this sounds like something to look forward to. And thanks dwmann for the insight on Gimme Shelter, guess I'm going to have to pick that one as well.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

11. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Just added my vote for Bloomfield! According to the original post, it looks like Pennebaker may be willing to add it to the re-edit of the film, if there is enough interest.

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Just added my vote also.

13. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Great news, Todd. Thanks for the heads-up.

I missed out on the LD version, mainly because of the high price. I will definitely grab the DVD when it comes out.

If I remember correctly, the stereo soundtrack is part of the DVD format. Hopefully Criterion will keep the two-channel tracks intact.

14. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Count me in for Mike Bloomfield.It's been a long time since I've seen the movie but I remember Pete Townsend raving about Jimi Hendrix playing backstage.I wonder if they caught any of that.

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Really? I did not know this. Can you cite any online sources for this info. I'm sure it's an old story...I just thought that with all that I've read I would have caught it.

Interesting! I know that he was a Hendrix fan far before Jimi was popular...I remember reading something about an early Hendrix date where Jimi played 'Sgt Pepper' 2 days after it was released in a club where Macca was present and he was well impressed....

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Now if we only can get "The Celebration At Big Sur" on DVD!

17. Todd Fredericks

MagicAlex,

I heard about McCartney's (kind of secret) involvement in establishing the festival for many years. I think one source is in that "official" biography that came out a few years ago (what the heck is it called/the one by Peter Miles?). He really dug Hendrix that night when he saw him and wanted him to "make it". There were a lot of thing's McCartney did in the 60's that were pretty cool beyond the Beatles (which he didn't talk about then but I guess recently he is)...

Todd

18. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well, it's common knowledge that Papa John Phillips was one of the primary organizers of the event, and that the Beatles spent time at his house in the canyon - so there is a personal connection between the two. I personally have never heard of Pauls' influence, but I suppose it was possible......

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

According to Derek Taylor's autobiography, Paul served on the festival's volunteer Board of Governors, along with people like Lou Adler, Donovan, Andrew Oldham, Jim McGuinn, John Phillips, Mick Jagger, Brian Wilson and Smokey Robinson. Not a bad group.

20. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

VH-1 broadcast a special 5 years ago that contained some of the performances cut out of the movie. Including (can't remember if it was complete though) "He Was A Friend Of Mine" with Crosby's comments. I do remember that the S&G clip they showed was the entire song. I taped it all off the dish...it's buried here in my mountain of tapes (am I the *only* one here who has the bad habit of never labeling video tapes; procrastinating until one day I wake up with a thousand unlabled tapes !!!)???

Besides the box set, the 1987 20th anniversary radio show (9 hours long I believe) was still the best way to get nearly ALL of the festival set performances in their entirety - in a different mix than the box too! S&G and Springfield included.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I taped the entire 1987 radio special, which, I recall, was broadcast on Memorial Day weekend. My family thought I'd lost my mind! The music is great, though. I can only imagine how it would sound mastered properly and look on DVD.

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Saw the Otis Redding film years ago on TV.

Saddest thing is the performance of 'Tenderness' doesn't show much of Otis but a lot of shots of female attendees of the festival, if I remember correctly.

Would be great if they put the performance back.

Tenderness is, most of the tiem, THE SONG for me. I wouldn't mind if they open the pearly gates for me with this in the background.

23. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

I'm not complaining, but I wish they would include some of the allegedly "lost" performances, like that of Laura Nyro. I know it was on some kind of Vh1 "Lost Performances" special.

It wasn't that well received, critically, and that's what makes it special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.