Herman's Hermits - new Bear Family Anthology CD set...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are the rights to this material in the UK and Germany with EMI still?

I happen to think true Stereo is a lot of fun, and I like the songs very much.

compiled by Ron Fermanek
    mastering Mark Mathews
    liner notes Andrew Sandoval

It's got my favorites. "I Gotta Dream On" is great (b-side), and "No Milk Today" is just wonderful. Mrs. Brown is one of those early 45s I liked before I knew my own last name.

I'm not sure I have heard these in stereo. I have the MGM LP as cover shown above, but wasn't it a re-chan?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    kevinsinnott and oxenholme like this.
  3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Now this looks really exciting: 56 tracks in true stereo for the first time ever !

melstapler and oxenholme like this.
  4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I can't wait for this !

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I'd be interested to hear the back story on this release.

I assume the multis have been found and they are new mixes?

Surely if they are historic stereo mixes they would have seen the light of day before this release?

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although I will purchase this set, it does sadden me to see that no post-Hermits Peter Noone solo recordings were included in this box. Despite its flaws, I appreciated the extra material on the EMI 4-disc set from a few years ago.

Aside from Peter Noone and Barry Whitwam, ex-bassist Karl Green also seems to be active. Looks as though he will be coming to the U.S. in a few days.

https://www.facebook.com/karlgreenofficial

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Although I will purchase this set, it does sadden me to see that no post-Hermits Peter Noone solo recordings were included in this box. Despite its flaws, I appreciated the extra material on the EMI 4-disc set from a few years ago.

Aside from Peter Noone and Barry Whitwam, ex-bassist Karl Green also seems to be active. Looks as though he will be coming to the U.S. in a few days.

https://www.facebook.com/karlgreenofficial

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Looks like a must buy!

9. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Hold On! (To your treble knobs)

audiomixer likes this.
  10. veejaycollector

veejaycollector Forum Resident

Looks like this CD set should be a lot of fun.

No Milk Today
    should have been a huge hit for them, but it never really happened. Love that song.

11. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It depends where you live. In Germany it was probably their biggest hit still remembered today. While most of the others slowly get forgotten.
    It was a strange band, I never knew what to make of them as there were these stories about them not playing on their records.
    The DVD "British Invasion" really made me appreciate that band also showing that they really could play and had a very competent guy named Derek Leckenby on guitar.

12. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

I agree this is great news and I will buy it for the stereo mixes. Still, I'm a bit disappointed that there are not more unreleased tracks here. There are several unreleased studio tracks and live BBC songs, too, that could be considered for such a release. Andrew Sandoval's involvement is encouraging as he has played many of the unreleased tracks on his radio show and, perhaps, if this release sells well, the unreleased material will come later.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This part of the EMI UK catalog is controlled by Warner Bros. in the UK and Germany, while in the US, the rights are controlled by ABKCO.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Comes with a 104 page booklet. Must be a box set of some sort. I can't wait. Are all the tracks included? Somehow 66 tracks seems like an awfully short amount. I'll have to check my albums against the list.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This actually looks interesting.

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Some of the tracks are demos. There are original 45 versions remixed to real stereo. They found the "stage tapes" that Mickie Most used to produce the originals so you will be hearing some tracks in 1st or 2nd generation for the first time on 56 of the tracks.

17. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Is Bear Family the only label that is putting out CDs in excess of 85 minutes? This release clocks in at 172 minutes, according to Bear Family, which works out to 86 minutes per disc.
    I read a review of Bear Family's "How The West Was Won" CD that claimed the disc ran almost 90 minutes!
    This is only an issue for me because with these expensive imports I like to burn a CD-R copy purely as a back-up ... but with Bear Family releases of this length you have to rip all of the tracks individually and then parse them out over two discs, and that's assuming your computer can read the full disc.

18. mono2STEREO

mono2STEREO Forum Resident

This is great news about the release of this 2 CD set! Knowing several of the individuals personally who worked on this set and their appreciation for this music, as well as the fact that it is being released by Bear Family, you can be assured that it is first-rate in every way!

19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've come late to the Hermans Hermits catalog. I agree, that No Milk Today is one of their greatest. Mickie Most was simply a great producer. I've heard that Bobby Graham was drummer on many of their recordings. I am intrigued!

ps: Here Comes the Star is like a Ray Davies-style song, that rivals his best showbusiness send-ups, IMO.

20. how much will cost in dollars I went to the website but don't read german???

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Why they insist on doing this is beyond me. Would it be so bad to spread it over 3 CDs? Maybe I'll skip it after all.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  22. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

Look for the US flag at the top of their page - you can select English!

23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

More people need to watch that DVD. I have always been a huge Herman's Hermits apologist. They should not be discounted just because, for their public image, they chose to take on a dorky, self-effacing persona. I appreciate your mention of Leckenby, although, in my opinion, "very competent" doesn't do him justice. The guy really knew his way around the guitar neck; arguably better than Harrison or Richards. Barry Whitwam was a superb drummer, and Keith Hopwood was a really good songwriter (e.g. Tell Me Baby) and a very competent guitarist in his own right. Anyway, I'll be purchasing this set. Thanks to oxenholme for bringing it to my attention.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

This is tempting.

Darryl

Bill likes this.
  25. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great compiled and excellent looking package... I'll order when it is available from other UK retailers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.