Hey Jude - Loved and Hated

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Beatles' Hey Jude seems to enjoy a love/hate relationship with people. It is often ranked as one of the band's greatest records, yet some people can't stand it.

Personally, I think it starts out very strong, but I grow weary of the coda. I also don't like the way the guitars are recorded on it, sounding very metallic, harsh and clangy. After hearing alternative versions on Anthology, I am glad some of McCartney's scatting was buried in the mix of the official version. He did go over the top on occasion (e.g. Back In The USSR ending, Sgt Pepper (Reprise) ending, etc.) and someone had the good sense to rein it in most of the time.

McCartney likes to use it to climax his live performances (e.g. Super Bowl), and that has also helped to wear the song out.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I’m fatigued by it and rarely desire to hear it.

But it’s still perfect the way it is.

3. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

My favorite song.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I voted perfect the way it is, but that doesn't mean I need to listen to it very often after all of these years.

But to be honest, most music that I've listened to for 50 years isn't in heavy current rotation.

But when I'm in the mood, it's good... ;)

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

"It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles Hey Jude. Shut up!"

Someone has to get this in!

6. Generation42

Generation42 Forum Resident

I'm a Lennon guy, myself. But you can't take "Hey Jude" away from Paul. It's perfect just the way it is.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

One is not supposed to admit this in mixed company, but I think they could have faded it out a minute earlier without losing the effect of the extended ending (plus it would take up less space in collections)...

8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You gotta be pretty soulless if you “hate” this song.

9. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

It’s written like a Gospel song, the coda is the essential part of the song!

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I have to go back to when I first heard it to get a real grasp on it....I loved it so....

Glenn Christense likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Perfect as is, but would rather Paul do 3 other songs live in the time he spends singing it and getting all the ladies and all the fellas to join in in.

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I prefer the original version w/Pete on drums

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Perfect

tteal likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Absolutely perfect

tteal likes this.
  15. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

The coda could be 20 minutes and I would still vote perfect.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I love Hey, Jude. Great song, great Beatles track, huge hit, you name it -- all good. That said, I remember seeing Paul and the band play a stadium show on TV -- Knebworth in 1990, I think, parts of which were aired on MTV here???? -- not long after seeing them play in the Kingdome and thinking to myself, "I hope Paul doesn't play the life out of this one, because it's pretty special in its original form," and I feel like it's been milked within about an inch of its life over the years, which is too bad. Doesn't mean the original is anything less than great, though.

(On the poll, I still picked "It's perfect just the way it is," referring to the original Beatles version. Could be improved if it had more profanity, I suppose.)

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i wouldn't change it ... for me i have never grown tired of it .... the beatles had stopped touring by this stage and i think the extended coda gives it a feeling of jamming out at a concert .... when i first got the mccartney red square dvd, i didn't want it to end. for me seeing so many people who would have had to risk prison and death to buy one of the albums back in the day get rewarded with a show brought tears to my eyes frankly. it reminded me how lucky i am and how much music means to me

steve phillips, Paulwalrus and smoke like this.
  18. I really love it -- about once every 5 years or so.

Tuco and polchik like this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's perfect, even though it's not a particular favorite of mine. It's never the song that I just have to hear, I'd never queue up an album just to hear it specifically. What it does have though, is this strange magic effect whereby even though it has that ridiculously long fade out, I never, ever notice it. If most any other song had that repetitive coda going on for that many minutes, I'd notice and be bored by it, but for some reason "Hey Jude" just works. It even works with my kids - they've heard it dozens of times and it never occurs to them that it's really long and that more than half of it is a repetitive fade. It's quite remarkable.

20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I like it, though I can see why others don't. The coda is a bit long. I've always felt like this song was the official 'beginning of the end'. Maybe as it was about John divorcing Cyn, and it was at that point when John started thinking beyond The Beatles.

saborlord123, Mickey2 and sekaer like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Probably one of McCartney's best melodies & lyrics in a career overflowing with them.

Yes it's a little long. But by then they had pushed the creative limits of the recorded long-playing album, must have made sense to push the limits of a single-length song as well.

I kind of like that it exists just like it is, unedited.

DrBeatle and Solaris like this.
  22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I could listen to the original recording every day and not tire of it. I could happily live my life never having to hear a contemporary live performance by Paul though.

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Absolutely perfect.

24. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I am the one person who voted for liking the ending . The long fade out is the best part of the song imo imo

fortherecord and drh like this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I bought the single when it first came out what 50 years ago. It was great then and now. An artifact of it''s time and era.

Do I play it now. NO. In 50th years, I've burnt so much music down.

But if I should happen to heat it playing somewhere, I have a big smile.

jamesmaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.