Hi-Fi Music Server

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sbeck201, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

2. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If you are dealing with a single location, check out Sony HAP-Z1ES. It is not a server, but HD recorder with analogue outputs.
    Sounds great, easy to control through an android or apple application. You transfer the ripped files through your home network into the unit. Street price is about $1800 (in Canada).

3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I use a Mac Mini with SSD abd 16gb ram, 4tb NAS and a Schiit Gungnir DAC. The Gungnir is simply badass.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  4. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

WDTV with a USB drive is cheap and doesn't suck. For about $100 to $150 more you can get a small form factor PC for more flexibility.

5. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Does not support gapless music playback unless I am mistaken.

I own one, but have never used it as a music server because of this reason.

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

There is nothing that is as simple as putting a disc in a player but the freeze/lag issue is a matter of the network, not the SqueezeBox. It may be more complicated than the Sonos but not significantly, imho. And, of course, you need to have the source device (PC or NAS) on in order to play from them. That said, you can just plug a USB-hard disc directly into the SqueezeBox and avoid the network entirely.
    My comments here: http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/logitech_squeezebox_touch_network_music_player/

BilboAlaska likes this.
  7. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

True. So "mostly" doesn't suck, except for that and a few other things. I switched to a $200 SFF PC with JRiver and it works great for me.

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I love my 2 Squeezebox Touches, but I've read a lot of negative reports about direct use of a USB drive (or stick). I've tried it, so I know it works, but from what I've read, the processor in the Squeezebox really struggles. I would be cautious about recommending that as a prime option.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  9. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I like that idea. Actually such a box with my cdp plugged into it would work the same I suppose. I still don't know how it would work in a hifi, that is what else is needed.
    I am not the OP but I resurrected it instead of asking basically the same question. Thanks for all the input. I just read TAS guide to digital music where they define most of the terms. It is like reading the dictionary but doesn't put it in perspective. It is still fuzzy as to what you need total equipment to go with a specific product but some do give a list. At most, I could use an ipad with my slow wifi to operate a device.

Funny, the websites for these products don't ever put a simple diagram showing the sequence of hook up. I have very slow internet from a modem, no cable, dish or phone line. I like the

I will be busy for 2 days until Saturday

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Vortexbox is completely self-contained. You plug the analog audio out from its back panel into a line level input on your receiver/amp using a cable like this. Load a CD and it will automatically fetch tags* and rip the tracks to its internal hard drive. Use the free Squeezebox app on your iPad to select artist/album/genre and control playback and volume.

*If your Vortexbox is connected to the internet; otherwise you can enter the tag data manually. When you are ready to rip a batch of CDs, just sign into your ISP. The actual data that is downloaded is only a few KB per CD.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  11. BilboAlaska

sbeck, OP, let us know if you decide to go for something. I am still studying.

The Absolute Sound reprinted an AudioQuest article "Computer Audio demystified" in Spring 2013. It is very good though I am not demystified yet.
    It is always vague as to what you need total gear.
    I am resigned to get an iPad or Apple laptop.
    For example, some of these products work with a DAC and some have a built in dac. It is not always obvious which ones.

For loading cds which it seems to be a great choice. If you want to use the Vortexbox for web radio, or downloading from the web or to load LP albums what gear do you need? I should start with that set up first and worry about cd and web radio after. In fact copying lps is my 1st priority since I don't want to move them again. 3-4000 LPs is heavy!

12. ogbbv

ogbbv Well-Known Member

Jack Flannery, Could you please comment on the fan noise on the Mac mini? Can you hear it between tracks and such? Thanks.

13. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Vortexbox runs Logitech Media Server (LMS). LMS will play all of your digital music files whether ripped from CDs or downloaded. LMS can receive internet radio stations from TuneIn Radio, BBC and many other sources. Downloaded music files can be copied to Vortexbox from any PC on your network. Here is what LMS looks like:

[​IMG]

This is another issue entirely. For your enjoyment there are many articles on the forum about "needledropping".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    BilboAlaska likes this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Synology is a great device and very quiet.

I have a NAS drive in mine and I can't hear a thing. Not even the drive when being accessed.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  15. BilboAlaska

I see plenty of SqueezeBox units available online.

My internet is very slow. It is a modem with no dish in sight, no cable or phone line. I can't even watch a youtube video without having it stop and spin. So yes, I would probably have to use it to play hard disk stored music. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. BilboAlaska

Thanks. I realize the copying is a whole other story but there must be gear in common eg storage, dac, playback, iPad operator?

17. BilboAlaska

I have never owned any other PC than apple for 30 yrs so Mac is an interesting choice. Would any Mac work the same as the mini? ...eg iPad or notebook which have the advantage of a screen or are you using a iOS device to operate the mini?
    SSD ? Social Security Disability? Sorry, that is the kind of thing that pops in my mind when I see acronyms. Some kine of hard disc, right.

I have looked into Schiit DACs. American made has appeal to me. On the subject of DAC I am also lost because of too many choices. Do I want a DSD dac? USB? etc.

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm obviously not Jack but I've run a Mac Mini for four years now. It is on my main audio rack with two Lacie HDD which both house my library and back up my library. I've never heard the Mac Mini even at low listening volumes. The only thing I do hear and that is very minimal is the Lacie booting up on system start up. I've not heard the HDD otherwise.

ogbbv likes this.
  19. BilboAlaska

I went to the Apple Mac dealer today and the Sonos store too. Neither place had people that knew how to play digital music on a home hifi.

The Mac guy said that the mini would need a monitor so that is the same as using any mac or pc. You need a monitor so why not just use my laptop with an external hard disc? He had no idea how to set it up and what I need.

The Sonos guy said that I could control it with my mac laptop and Sonos Connect, but would need The Boost for my very slow internet. The problem is that the Boost requires an ethernet connection and my internet modem is only usb. He concluded that he didn't know how to make it work.

I don't feel so dumb since no one working in my town knows how to do internet downloads, streaming fm and copy cds to my integrated amp.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Although I do have my Mac Mini connected via HDMI to my plasma HDTV and have a wireless keyboard and track pad that I can control it with it can be operated with (and I do use) a VNC app (I use Screens) to control it from my iPad. You can operate iTunes either with or without third party software like Pure Music or Audirvana with the Aplle Remote app. I currently run JRiver and use the excellent JRemote app to control the music playback functions.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  21. BilboAlaska

Thanks, I will look at this tomorrow.

22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I can't hear any fan noise at all. I use one at work and it is silent as well (about 3' away).

ogbbv likes this.
  23. BilboAlaska

Nice set up. Now I see the whole picture. I want to start in my music room, there is no TV. Slow internet so I think the digital home storage will be best.
    I have been reading about more units like the Cambridge audio and Bluesound which are half the cost of the Sony Hapz1es.
    Any Cambridge fans? Magic 6 or entry NP30 are affordable.
    I have also been seeing a lot of used Olive units.
    There is a Soloos online used for $1500. High but still a lot less than the Sony Hapz.

24. BilboAlaska

Noise is one complaint that I read on some forums about the Vortexbox. No one here seems to have that complaint. Other users are happy with it. Not expensive for a NAS with a cd burner built in, that is half of the Bluesound cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.