Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

It's actual 24bit, the bitrate would show the same as the CD if it were fake 24 and only 16bits (because both are FLACs so the FLAC encoding would have done away with empty bits). It may be a new transfer, but it sounds darn near identical to me:

[​IMG]

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Imagine if it is Kevin Grey's L.P. mastering!

3. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

Anyone taken the plunge on this? Or should I take a hit (and the inevitable disappointment) for the team?

artfromtex likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ok Computer is only £9.59 on Qobuz

5. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

I'm late to go out, but it's loud.

Doesn't look like the 2003 remaster. All 7's and 8's. Two 9's.

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Decade is 36 bucks for the 24/96 download at HDTracks. Too rich for my blood at the moment. Not available at NeilYoung.com as of yet but I'm willing to wait if it's significantly cheaper than HDTracks.

jhm and oneway23 like this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Keep an eye out on livedownloads.com as well. The rest of his albums are much cheaper on there than HDTracks as well

oneway23 and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

@c-eling, @art, and @Merrick

Finally bought Colour this AM from HDTracks (along with OK Computer), and, while admittedly not really having enough attention span to sit and actively appreciate it, I'm a bit perplexed right now. It's clearly not the 1997 re-master, with its horrible clipping and boominess, so, I'm guessing it was sourced from the original '86 release, but, something still feels different.

I'm certain someone mentioned this earlier, and I apologize for not giving proper credit, but, there was a DVD-A in 2012, right? I've never owned that, so, perhaps this is what I'm listening to?

Anyhow, it seems to have a slight or subtle improvement when it comes to instrumental separation. I guess "air" is what they call it on the best of hi-res releases? I'm not great with articulating using the accepted terminology.

I guess my main issue is how this was achieved with what has to be a digital master. I'm grateful for any production pros in here who care to chime in....thanks.

Hope this eventually helps folks reach a decision on this one!

Merrick and c-eling like this.
  9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This definitely occurred with Remain in Light! A curio for sure! Some different mixing choices are apparent on the 5.1 fold-down. It may not be "proper", and, it hasn't been fixed since being put up in 2011 (to my knowledge, anyhow), but, it sure is an interesting and unintended collector's item, of sorts!

Bender Rodriguez and Plan9 like this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Does anybody have a handle on Purple Rain...I understand it is 24/96 with about a third of the expanded edtion being 24/44.1.

11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

For anyone using Tidal, the MQA Masters version is up for this one. Full 24/96 software-based decoding, no MQA DAC needed. Gonna have a listen a bit later.

12. mongo

mongo Senior Member

It is available on livedownloads but only in MP3.
    WTF is up with that?
    24/192 is $46.98.
    C'mon.

13. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Looks like it. Any info on whether this album was originally all analogue or was it an early digital master? If it was all analogue there is no reason at all for doing 44.1khz.

14. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I know, it is like $30 USD on 7digital France with conversion but 7digital has prohibited other country purchasing since 2016 even with a VPN.

I also don't understand why in the European 7digital stores customers can purchase high res track by track for a lot of the albums that are "Album Only" at the US 7digital store?

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The download from Radiohead's website (24/96 wav file) seems to have demos substituted for the last four tracks of the album. Weird. Plus, it sounds loud and compressed on some of the tracks, like the opening song Airbag for instance. It's been awhile since I listened to the original CD, so maybe I should do a comparison.

Merrick likes this.
  16. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I am not a DR person so my responses are usually based on my ears only, and I really do enjoy the sound of the 96/24 remaster. I like when you can hear a guitar being strummed so it says clear and crisp to my 53 yr old ears. The bonus tracks are exceptional as well in clarity and crispness.

It has been a while since I listened to OK Computer so to me, today's download of the 20th anniversary edition was well worth it. Disclosure, I am a Radiohead fan and will get all their stuff when the 24 bit version comes out. I also enjoyed In Rainbows in 24 bit when others on the site did not.

Merrick and jamesc like this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I'm with Deano. Radiohead may not play nice with a DR Meter, but, they do make pretty noise.

DeanoBee likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There was an SACD in 2003, with excellent DR values (10-17, average 13), distinct from the 1997 remaster. The mastering was reused for the DVD. I think that's what it is.

The master seems to be analogue, although there may be digital processes in there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Kyhl, art, Dino and 2 others like this.
  19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks so much, Plan! Rock-solid as usual...

Plan9 likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Looks like Purple Rain got compressed to hell:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Too bad. The earlier edition sold by HD Tracks supposedly sounds a lot better. Wish I'd picked it up now...

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not a third. 6 of the 26 bonus tracks on discs 2 and 3 combined are 24/44.1. 5 of the 6 are on the "vault" disc; 1 of the 6 is on the "B-sides and singles"disc. (The 7" edit of "When Doves Cry", only his biggest single ever. Way to go, WB.)

HDTracks now has an accurate accounting:

Purple Rain Deluxe (Expanded Edition) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

where has this been confirmed? - and are you referring to the album proper or the b-sides?

23. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Excellent thank you for clarification.

Yes, I was surprised HDT did note the 44.1 tracks when first listed, they usually do.

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

False alarm. The audio connector from the output of my DAC was failing, and I wasn't getting the vocals properly. It was intermittent, but is now dead, so I will have to fix the cable. I compared the download file to the original CD from 1997. Apparently it's just a case of aggressive-sounding mixes on the louder, rockier tracks. Nothing particularly wrong with the new remastering.

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Any spectral diagrams of the OK Computer 96/24 files?