Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Worse, the re-re-masters typically get worse with each iteration - more compressed, more questionable EQ choices, etc.

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I can think of thousands of titles -certainly entire bands' catalogs that have yet to appear on hi-res.

3. neil

neil Senior Member

For a while Rhino seemed to be pumping out some interesting titles and that seems to have stopped. Most of the releases are classical with some newer bands releasing hirez. The labels don't seem interested in going back into their catalogs anymore. I used to buy several items every Friday, now its rare I purchase anything in a month.

jonboy71 likes this.
  4. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

That's been my experience as well. I don't buy many hi res releases these days after wasting a lot of money on loud, compressed remasters with obviously processed and ultimately fake sounding enhancements. There are the occasional nice surprises though, like the Neil Diamond remasters.

Kyhl likes this.
  5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I still buy, but more occasionally than in the past. I picked up the Steven Wilson from PSM and the Allan Holdsworth box form HD tracks when it had the pricing error. Prior to that though, it looks like my last Hi Res download purchase was the Jaco Truth Liberty & Soul set.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was also turned off by the water marking. On the new Stones album I think even my dad who has several db of hearing imbalance and little high frequency acuity would have been able to hear it. When you have to ask yourself "oh this is a UMG subsidiary download, should I roll the dice on it?" when there is probably a fine sounding CD it starts to make buying downloads not fun. Contrast this to the latest big DG (UMG subsidary) classical box that came in which I've been having a lot of fun exploring performances that I didn't know, each disc coming out to around $1.50 each when the download is around $20 for a single album and I don't know whether it would be watermarked or not.

TonyCzar, Robert C and vivresavie like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's why I stopped visiting this thread regularly and following the weekly releases. I still come in and see what is new from time to time, but haven't bought a new hi-rez release in awhile. So this is the first I've heard of the Neil Diamond ones. Is there any info on them? As usual, no info I can see at hdtracks, but I'm interested if they are well done. They're new remasters, but well done and with the dynamics intact? I've got all this stuff on CD.

8. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I can't speak for the entire catalog, but Moods is a very nice remaster which betters my black face CD or early pressing LP.

A recent fail was Blondie's Greatest Hits with a DR of 4. I couldn't get past the first few tracks without ear bleed. I'll stick to my LP on that one.

TonyCzar, oneway23 and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Neil's gone even more mad than usual - Hitchhiker is 24/384 at Qobuz apparently!

(Can't play that on a Pono!)

NYMets41, AlanDistro and nightenrock like this.
  10. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

I got it down for interest but FLAC, AIFF and WAV downloaded from the 384 option are all actually 192.

So I think it's a mistake. I shall ask for my 10.99 back!

11. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

AFAIK the Pono chip is capable of 24/384. Not sure of the software.

12. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

13. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Why aren't Gordon Lightfoot's albums available (besides Sundown)? I've checked everywhere.

14. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Can anyone please report back about the new Foo Fighters, available in 24/44? I've heard it's a proggy, bombastic album. Does it sound very good? Thanks!

15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Maybe someone posted their opinion about these already, so apologies if the information is being repeated.

I've posted these Country titles from Sony on Acoustic Sounds (during their 20% off sale):

Ray Price - For The Good Times (1970) 44/24
    Ray Price - You Wouldn't Know Love (1970) 96/24
    Ray Price - The Lonesomest Lonesome (1972) 96/24
    Ray Price - You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me (1974) 96/24
    Ray Price - If You Ever Change Your Mind (1975) 96/24

Tammy Wynette - The Ways To Love A Man (1970) 96/24
    Tammy Wynette - Another Lonely Song (1974) 96/24

To be honest, I have never owned any other version of these albums (except for Price's For The Good Times which I own on Quadraphonic Q8 tape) but to my ears they sound really good. I was a bit disappointed with the fact that For The Good Times is 44/24 instead of 96/24, but it still sound good. Most of these have not been available in digital form prior to these being released.

I plan on buying more titles from these artists in Hi-Res.

DR.J and art like this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Same mastering and dynamic range as the CD.

17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thank you!

When are these jabronies going to figure out that the dedicated music psychos out there who still care enough to spend $17-$20 on a single album in the year 2017 may be a little more discerning than the average listener? I'm not making any income arguments or class arguments, either; I'm simply talking about enjoyment and appreciation here.

It's no wonder this thread has been slowly withering on the vine over the past few months.

Also, I've often heard some folks try to compare those with an interest in high-res audio to those with similar interests in, say, watches, wine, or steaks. I was there for a long time. In fact, that was always one of my primary arguments to people when rationalizing why I was buying what I was buying. I've been a big advocate of hi-res audio, but, the apparent improvements with HRA seem to be less and less as time goes on instead of better. Why?

For a while there a couple of years ago, we were even getting distinct masterings for a number of new releases. These days, everything just feels tossed-off, like the music industry is making their most loyal customers out to be morons over and over again, and for what? For continuing to support them? I know, I know...nothing new under the sun there...

Sorry for the prattling on, I'm over it.

onlysleeping, DR.J, NYMets41 and 8 others like this.
  18. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

This is why one must employ your M.O.: 'load before you buy.

19. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Many seem to be "over it". They vendors of hirez have not in any way done anything to keep customers excited and coming back.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Sound Quality issues aside (can I rant about liner notes and credits, as in, there usually aren't any?), I don't think the majors have ever really wanted to be in the business of selling unlocked digital content. And the vendors can't sell what they're not licensed to.

DR.J and oneway23 like this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

We are on the same page!

22. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Ohhh...Don't get me going on about the asinine lack of liner notes and credits...For the love of God! Fortunately, for all of you, I haven't had any coffee as of yet, so, you're all spared. I'll just say I wholeheartedly agree .

23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Quick question here in case anybody has purchased this when it came out. I'm interested in getting the 96/24 Stereo download of The Doors / Live At The Bowl '68 (no interested in getting the Blu-Ray). What are your thoughts on the sound? I've always loved this concert so I'd buy this version if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - FYI I've acquired the 96/24 of The Singles and it's a really nice set.

24. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

My thoughts are is that it sounds crisp but little too digital. Other than that, a good recording.
    Btw it's strange that HDtracks now only features 24-44 variant...
    You know, I just used Spec to see the spectrum on the files and 90% of tracks don't contain any info above 20k, so I guess you may settle on that 24-44.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!