Hi-Rez Download Reviews - Comments About Music You've Purchased (or want to purchase) *Only*, Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh. I think I much prefer the mono mix. Will have to listen again.

2. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Picked up Again last night and it's vastly superior to the original Atco cd. Much more detailed, breathing room... a really great listen! Highly recommend.

Gardo, Plan9 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  3. mindblanking

Itching to buy some hi res music tonight. Was thinking the Neil Diamond greatest hits or maybe Hot August Night. Problem is I can't tell if it's just the old one they had on HDTracks or something newly mastered. Anybody buy anything good recently? To be honest, the other thread on this topic is getting harder and harder to take.

4. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I recently purchased Rolling Stones Mono set (DSD from Acoustic Sounds) and have really been enjoying it. For most of those albums (especially early one up to and including Aftermath) these are the best versions I have heard.

5. neil

neil Senior Member

I agree! The dsd is super clear.

6. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Last thing I bought was the Grateful Dead's Cornell show, from HDTracks. First I bought the 192/24 FLAC version, but the files had problems. They kept dropping out and skipping while playing. HDTracks refunded my money, and then I tried the 96/24 FLAC version. No problems at all with the second purchase, and this release sounds fantastic!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  8. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Any difference between the dsd downloads and the abkco sacds..?

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not sure if you mean between the mono downloads and the stereo SACDs, or the stereo downloads with the stereo SACDs, or the mono tracks in common with the SACDs, or between the mono downloads and the mono CDs...

...but here you go: Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

marcb likes this.
  10. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

11. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

What software did you use to create these graphs?

12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Is The Clash London Calling mastering better than the Japan 1st press CD that is so well liked? Are all The Clash HD download masterings as good?

13. mindblanking

Unfortunately, I've never heard it so can't compare.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  14. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Haven't heard the japanese disc, but the HD download is better than the previous UK CD releases.

mindblanking likes this.
  15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have read that the first Eagles Diament mastered CD runs a touch too fast throwing off the pitch. First, is the correct? Second, does the high res version rectify this situation?

16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I have both. IMO both are very good, it really gets down to subjective preferences. The CD is nicely balanced and has that "analog sound" for a lack of a better term. The hi res version has more clarity and presence to the sound, but mastered with more loudness and compression to achieve a modern sound. It is not as crankable as the CD.

DaverJ and SOONERFAN like this.
  17. Khoff

Khoff Forum Resident

So often the case that there are LP versions of album with better dynamics than the High Res downloads. I wonder why...

18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Not just LP versions, often early CD issues as well. What we are hearing is the "modern sound" which has captured the current generation of labels, artists, producers, engineers and unfortunately, many younger listening consumers. It makes the hi res cost premium a scam when it doesn't use more dynamic range than a LP or more than 16 bits of a CD.

SOONERFAN and rburly like this.
  19. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

Generally, I agree with this. But I would still argue compressed material in 24/96 could/should sound better than the same source in 16/44.

We also need to acknowledge that the industry sees Hi-Res differently than consumers. For industry, its just another sales medium. Your going to get the Good, the Bad and the Ugly just like other mediums in terms of production quality (good sound). It also maybe unfair to industry to foot them with all the blame, as least where modern recordings are concerned. Artist intent could be steering things in a compressed direction. If a compressed/un-dynamic production is what the artist wants, how can anyone else be blamed?

20. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

There is no technical reason why it should and no convincing evidence over some 30 years of testing that it does when expectation biases, mastering differences and volume levels are controlled. If anything that would suggest that if there are differences it would be very minor, even compared to tilting your head while listening to the stereo. Agree with the rest of what you say, though sometimes the artists are not even made aware that their recording can be made more dynamic - the interview with Bob Ludwig below goes into some detail on this, and other factors.
    The Mastering Show #32 – Bob Ludwig

21. Khoff

Khoff Forum Resident

seems to me that all recording studios these days use at least 24bit.

22. Khoff

Khoff Forum Resident

for technical reasons.

23. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Well, just finished reading through 39 pages...Great thread! I'd love to keep it alive.
    I've just downloaded Monster, one of my faves from the 90's. It's the Qobuz 96/24 version (the only one available on Qobuz today, at least here in Italy).

Not listened to it yet, but from the DR numbers it seems to be different from the HDTracks version, maybe the same released on Pono in those days.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

24. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

O.K. I have made my attempt. :wave:

25. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Qobuz have an 'up to 50%' Universal sale on right now with both Nirvana albums in it (working out around £5 each with subscription). Any opinions on how good they are?

eric777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.