Hi-Rez Downloads/Systems - don't understand *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amateurish

Amateurish Forum Resident

Hi mds, it may be helpful for you to read an introduction to "Computer Audio" such as this one:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/getting-started-computer-audio-part-1-hardware

It will help you get familiar with the terminology and get a mental map of the pieces that are typically involved. The short answer to your question is that your exact setup will depend on budget; how much of an audiphiliac you are; and how much patience and interest you have in DIY or tinkering with computers, networks and storage. And yes, when folks here say pad or tablet, they likely mean either an iPad or Android tablet.

2. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I have some reading to do. I quickly scanned the article connected to the link and it seems pretty thorough, it should get me started.

3. mds

Just an update. I am on my way to burning my collection to FLAC files using dBpoweramp. The program is fantastic, very straight forward and easy to modify file data if it doesn't find your artwork or doesn't realize the CD you are burning is a remastered with a second disk. Not sure how soon I will be sending these files to my main listening room but my family room has an Oppo 103 which should work and my office has a massfidelity blue tooth DAC which I am currently streaming to now and it sounds great! So, for that one negative person in the beginning of my post, I guess you jumped the gun I was interested in learning about streaming, digital audio, and ripping my collection to digital FLAC files even though I still prefer my CD collection. I have fifteen CDs converted now and am going to commit to five a day. I am in no rush and dBpoweramp is so effortless I may even get more ripped than my goal number each day.

For all of you who were supportive thanks, you were all a great help and gave me that support I needed to move in another direction of musical enjoyment. Its all fun if it involves music!

c-eling likes this.
  4. Amateurish

Amateurish Forum Resident

Thanks for the update mds. Glad you are making progress and are enjoying it!

The Good Guy likes this.
  5. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Despite what some people may say I like your thread. It's an honest opinion. As of yet I have not been swayed by hi rez because I have not heard better high end vinyl & I like collecting physical media but this Saturday I am going to the National Audio Show in the UK. The last time I went was 2010. I expect in 2014 digital to blow me away or it's just hyperbole.

6. mds

I appreciate your understanding of where I was coming from. At first I was taken back by a few responses, no big deal, just didn't expect them.

I also am not convinced one way or the other about Hi-Rez over CD or for that matter Vinyl, however I do know it does sound good and its the wave of the future, if I like it or not. With this in mind I also realize I have a lot of CDs that aren't burned to Hi-Rez. If one day this becomes the prime way to listen to music then I do not want to be in the position of having to burn too many CDs all at once. I therefore am burning them at my leisure and enjoying them on my PC in my office, and really enjoying the whole experience. I have JBL LSR 305 studio monitors hooked up to my PC with a good sound card. The Hi-Rez FLAC files sound noticeably better than my MP3s of the same song. I now plan on buying an inexpensive USB DAC and that should improve the sound even more. No I am not planning on setting up my main listening room for Hi-Rez FLAC files now or in the near future, CDs are perfect. I enjoy searching through them more and holding and looking at the CD covers in my hands. I am a realist and know the next place I move to will have the internet connection in my listening room and hopefully all my CDs will be burned by then. I will have more options at my finger tips this way which is one reason why I am headed down the Hi-Rez FLAC file path at a leisurely pace.

I do recommend to anyone who is on the fence about burning your CD collection, its worthwhile and easy using dBpoweramp. The program so far is flawless and an inexpensive investment. If you have a PC then in my opinion it is a no brainer to burn a few, a lot or all of your CDs just for listening to a higher quality album when sitting at your desk. One last note; the way I have chosen to burn the CDs is to burn the files to FLAC "Lossless Level 5" setting and they will not play with the iTunes program, so I use Foobar 2000 instead, not a big deal to me. If any of you experienced rippers know of a better way let me know. I am not a MAC person although I do own an iPad only because it is given to me by work. When I retire I will not be replacing it I will go with something non-MAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.