Hidden Treasures - In Your Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle Al, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member Thread Starter

If you have a sizable music collection, I'm sure you have tapes, records, CD's, and other assorted media that you cannot trace back to it's origins. Something you don't think you bought. Something you may have borrowed? Something someone left behind?

So shuffling thru the discs today, I come across the "From the Inside" lp by Poco. I never bought it, never heard it. Looks in pretty good shape, so I clean it and give it a spin. It's just the tonic for a downer day at work. Sound quality is very good - clear highs, rich lows, warm midrange. Good pressing too - had to turn the volume down when the full band kicks in during Hoe Down. Were these guys the blueprint for The Eagles or what?

I love finding these things - it's like "free music"

Any of you ever find hidden treasures in your own collections?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know where everything I have came from.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Certain specific pieces I can trace back exactly to a store or auction, but percentage-wise, my memory's pretty poor for things like that. Sometimes I forget I've got something, but that's not quite the same thing as you're describing, Al. By 1976 or so, I was buying 45's from a store in Springfield, MA, and did so until they eventually went out of business, then found a connection closer to home I've been using ever since, so most mainstream 45's after, oh, 1986, I can trace directly to this one store. Import 45's, of course, usually mail order or net. Lp's come from everywhere, but even pieces I've paid a nice sum for, I tend to forget where they came from. What matters is that they're here. Can't say I have anything in my collection that surprises me, except that I was crazy enough to buy it:D :laugh:

Most of us have a few of those...:rolleyes:

ED:cool:

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Uncle Al, if the "From the Inside" LP was done by Alice Cooper, you'd be talking 'bout a different reaction to the LP!

I've picked up bunches of stuff that I've not critically listened to yet. There could be gold in them that CDs! Or not....

Poco is one of my fav. bands!

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm pretty sure that I can remember where about 95% of my collection came from. That's pretty good since I have a pretty massive collection of LPs and CDs (plus 45s etc...).

For me, a treasure is flipping through some 78s that I inherited many years ago. I only pull them out every few years. There's lots of Ellington, Basie and the like (pretty well all in unplayed shape). Last time I hauled them out I discovered a Fletcher Henderson recording that I hadn't realized was in there. It was at the bottom of the box so, I guess it would qualify as "buried treasure."

Cheers,
    Chris

6. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Yeah,
    Wayne Newton- "Capitol Collectors Series". I don't know how thw heck I ended up with this disc but when I gave it a spin I found it had really great sound!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Do ya dig that surf song or what?

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have Bob Lovely's copy of Elvis' 24K Hits.

mud-

9. Michael

Well...give it back! :laugh:

10. Michael

All of my Cee Dee's are treasures...On occasion I'll rediscover an old mastering to appreciate all over again...

11. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I found a dollar in my coat pocket when I got it out for the winter. Does that count?

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

If he finds out I have it I might give it back.

mud-:D

13. Ed Bishop

Didn't Matthew Broderick lip-sync to "Danke Schoen" in FERRIS BUELLER? I've never listened to Wayne Newton the same ever since. That, and the night Newton was on Letterman and played some of the meanest rock guitar I'd ever heard on that show. Why didn't he do that years ago?!?

14. Ed Bishop

He won't find out, Mud--he found it. You have a better shot at that Zombies disc:laugh: :laugh: ;) Better luck next time, pal...

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I almost had a copy of that Zombie's cd.

mud-

16. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

"Danke Schoen" has got the best "you are in the studio" sound on this disc. I'm no Wayne fan but I can listen to this disc for the sound quality alone.

17. Michael

He also plays an amazing fiddle! Saw him perform "Orange Blossum Special" amazing! A talented dude! His cover of "Without You"ain't bad either! I'd also love to have his movie "80 Steps To Jonah" on DVD with Butch Patrick! Cool...

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It is to laugh!!:laugh: Do I have any CDs I don't remember when or why I bought? Only a thousand or two!:sigh: :confused:

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I found $20.00 in my wife's coat pocket. Does that count 20X more than Beatlelennon65's dollar?

Wait - that's a US dollar. About $45.00 CAD. :(

G

PS Anyone know why my wife is PO'd at me?

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

poco just might THE most underrated band of all time.

i once called them "the poor man's eagles" and i was politely corrected. the eagles are "the poor man's poco"

renny

richie furay was great!

21. My John Leyton Rarities lp - produced by Joe Meek.

My REM single of See No Evil.

My Television live lp 'The Blow Up'

My 2nd pressing Marcel's Blue Moon lp.

My NM mono copy of Arthur Fiedler doing 'Gaiete Parisienne'.

My 2 mono 'Surrealistic Pillow' lp's.

Any Phil Spector 45 with a rare b-side. "I Love How You Love Me" has a nice one.

the 2nd Holly Beth Vincent lp.

The 1st 2 Translator lp's

My Roland Kirk in Copenhagen lp.

Whoa, I could go all day . . . .

bluemooze likes this.
  22. stever

stever Senior Member

"mwng" - Super Furry Animals
    "Store in a Cool Place" - Able Tasmans

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Love, Serve, Remember

Anyone out there remember or heard of Ram Dass/Richard Alpert?

A few weeks ago I was rummaging through some old crates of albums that I had never gotten around to organizing and was pleasantly surprised to come across "Love, Serve, Remember" a 6-LP box set of chants (Sufi, Jewish, Hindu), readings, and a portion of a WBAI-Pacifica (New York city) radio program with Ram Dass himself. I must've picked this up at a garage sale in my college days. Released over 30 years ago, it's a time capsule of the sixties and that generation's search for spirituality and consciousness expansion. I put it on the turntable and played the entire set. It was like reacquainting myself with a long lost friend. Having rediscovered Love, Serve, Remember, it is now a cherished part of my collection.

Jim W.

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Actually, the reaction wouldn't be so different. Did you listen to the LYRICS on Poco's From The Inside LP? It is the most depressing "happy" album I have ever heard. The band was going thru some real tough times when it was recorded & the lyrics reflect it. Great LP anyway, however. Too bad the CD blows.

25. vex

vex New Member

There ain't no "hidden treasures" in my collection, but I know there are few to be found in ex-girlfriend's and ex-roommate's collections, if you know what I mean... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.