HiFiMan HE560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - $349.99

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by jhm, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ran across this deal on a couple of "deal" sites and thought I'd post it here. I already own a pair or I'd jump on it myself:

HiFiMan HE560

They retail for $900 at Hifiman's website and others. It occassionally goes on sale (like at Amazon) for as low as $500. This is the lowest I've ever seen them. HiFi man considers this part of their "reference" line of products and are a step up from the lower prices 4XX and 5XX models. They are also well reviewed on places like Head-Fi.org. I do the bulk of my listening with these and love them (for what it's worth).

Chris Gerhard likes this.
  2. jhm

Per Forum request, I should have stated that the sale is through Adorama.com (which I believe is based in New York City). They've been around for years and are a large retailer. They've given no indication when the sale ends. It was on for a few days, then back to $900 on Monday, then back down to $349.99 again when I posted yesterday.

3. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I read a bunch of the reviews of these, and the general sense I get is that they sound very good, but that they fall apart pretty easily. Is this what your experience has been?

johnny q likes this.
  4. jhm

I've had mine about a year (and they were used). I listen daily and no issues with anything falling apart. Mine are gen 1, so I don't know if the complaints were about gen 1 'phones or later gens. The "wood" is definitely plastic. Then again, I don't travel with these at all. They haven't left my office listening station since I got them. I will say that for their size, they sure are light. This makes longer listening sessions a lot easier.

Later gens have way better connectors for the cables and they apparently tamed a complaint about a spike in the 4k range (both in the model on sale). Mine have the old screw on type of connectors, which I'll confess are annoying.

5. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Thanks!

jhm likes this.
  6. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I just got a mass drop Senn 6xx. I haven't heard these. Should I feel buyers remorse? Wonder how these compare.

7. jhm

Looks like this sale is still going. Color me surprised.

8. jhm

I think it's comparing apples to oranges to be honest. I've heard the Senn 6XX is a great headphone for the money. I read a Reddit review stating the Senn 6XX is more in line with the HifiMan 400i, which is a model step down from the 560. It went on to say that the 560 was better in every way than the 400i was. The same review was also comparing the HE-560 to Audeze headphones in the $1,200 to $1,300 range saying the 560s aren't as good, which I'd expect. The review summarized by saying that, in the author's opinion, the HE-560s were not worth their list price ($900), but if you could get them for less than $450, they are very good headphones. Lastly, the reviewer noted that the build quality of Sennheisers in general will blow the HifiMan models out of the water, so there's that. I guess the Senns are built like a tank?

My previous headphones were PSB Audio M4U1s that retailed for $300 (I later saw them go as low as $200 on sale). I'd say for the money, the HE560 was WAY better than the additional $50 to $150 it would cost to obtain them via this sale.

Mooserfan likes this.
  9. jhm

Well it seems like this deal is finally dead. Did anyone here actually pull the trigger (just curious - I have no "horse in this race" so to speak).

10. jhm

Yowsa! Looks like this is back and they are only $319.00 now. That's just nuts to me!

HiFiMan HE560

black sheriff likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No longer available it seems

jhm likes this.
  12. jhm

Wow, that was short. You never know if they were blowing these out of their stock (for good) or if they'll get more and put them on sale. I noted that they sell a few HE560s in combo packages with amps, etc. but these all say "special order" now.

I hope someone was able to grab a pair at $319 while it lasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.