Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I've never heard this but I love when he goes in like this. :evil:
    It's also cool how the heavenly chords soar in halfway through the song while he's still murdering his verse.
    Another one where he shreds it. I'm sure you already know this.

2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

For some reason I've always stopped listening to this album after Untitled 63...I may have heard that once or twice...the style of production sounds more like Bastard to me, cool...insanely unique as usual with Tyler.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

This is just one of the hardest beats ever:

Mad props to Tyler for making such a hard-a$$ beat in the midst of all these 808s.

SITKOL'76, LavidDange and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

That beat is dope...never heard of these guys...good find.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I get that. But the fact that the sound is "dated" is part of the appeal, at least to me. I find Premier's work on Step to be damn good and inspired. TEHO.

6. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I totally respect your opinion. I'd make a distinction between 'dated' and 'timeless' and I imagine you'd call Step in the Arena timeless by the same distinction. It's weird for me I guess: as I said, love Daily Operation but don't think it sounds as 'timeless' as later Gang Starr and Premier stuff.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Hmmm...I think I'd say "classic" over "timeless"...reason being I completely get the "dated" description - it oozes early 90s to me. I just think it's part of the charm overall - a perfect snapshot of what was going on at the time and how hip hop was developing in those days. Hence the classic status.

I've got an LP of Premier's instrumentals that I think came out in the later period you're talking about. Will have to dig it out and give it a spin. I still think he's one of the GOAT DJs, and his whole body of work can be appreciated no matter the time frame.

2xUeL likes this.
  8. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I have a hard time hearing anything Preemo did 1992 or later as "dated". Before that, I can see it. Even though Step In The Arena is a great album, I think he was still developing as a producer. By the time of Daily Operation, he was in his own league. Strands of modern hip hop are still evident in that album.

Machiventa, 2xUeL and havenz like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Totally agree with this.

10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you... I just checked my copy and it plays through fine. It's the original press on black vinyl. I liked the reissue a lot as well... I'd be perfectly happy with either copy. I slightly preferred the original after a decent amount of comparison. Obviously I was bored that day.

2xUeL likes this.
  11. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I think the sound on Daily Operation is very well executed and highly original by the standards of both then and today, though in all its originality I find it necessarily unlike his 'signature sound'--a sound that I think became solidified shorty after Hard to Earn--in some important ways.

12. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Yep. It does. I knew it was an OG when I bought it. Still in the shrink tho.

2xUeL likes this.
  13. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Check out Jeru's first album, Sun Rises in the East. For me, a great way to explore hip hop is to follow who is making the beats. Like Jeru? Try other DJ Premier projects: Gang Starr. Deltron & Dr Oct were produced by Dan the Automator, who is part of the Handsome Boy Modeling School(Ignore the name. Their albums are a trip).

scotth and leeroy jenkins like this.
  14. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Thanks! I will check them out.

15. JohnnyQuest

I can't stop playing this. Wow :love:

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  16. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

That's smooth. Is this a new track or part of an album?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

It was a song that was supposed to be on O.N.I.F.C. but was cut last minute I believe. It was released today.
    Here are two more songs that were recorded during those sessions.
    Check it out @2:35

Naughty Chord likes this.
  18. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Any love for Eyedea & Abilities? Been spinning the 2004 album E&A recently and forgot just how great they were.

LavidDange likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

Man....This is one of the smoothest beats I've ever heard. Timbaland was totally showing off with this one. :cool:
    This is the type of production that suits LL Cool J's rap style.

20. JohnnyQuest

Naughty Chord likes this.
  21. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I'm a relative newcomer to hip hop, and I must admit I was put off initially by some of the first hip hop I was exposed to, which would be early 2000's pop rap/gangsta rap and so forth. Couldn't see eye to eye with it. But I always liked the grooves, the attitude and the witty lyricism. I suppose the music videos played their part as well. I think the first hip hop song I really dug was The Seed 2.0 by the Roots when it came out.

During the past couple of months I've finally gotten my head around hip hop as a genre; to me, it is probably the best modern medium for anyone to join in. Rock and roll has become safe and predictable, there are exceptions of course, but generally - from my point of view - it's lost its steam whereas hip hop has become - for quite a while probably - the dominant musical genre. I'm a big, big fan of A Tribe Called Quest, Masta Ace and Ice Cube but feel I need to dig deeper into more current acts that come from the same place, lyrically and spiritually. That sort of music is to me anything that's great about hip hop, expression, musicality and spirit.

But as it is, I still think it's going to be a while before people see through the more flashy, pop-oriented side of hip hop and respect it as an art form. I think it shares that stigma with rock music, though rock did become "literate" and respected as an art form rather early on, hip hop has sadly not managed that yet, to some people. But I'm glad its taken on a shape of respectability. It's probably been said before, I know there's always a war of words going on whenever a hip hop group is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but to me, the honesty, sincerity and groove that started with the blues, spilled over into jazz, R&B, soul and funk and eventually helped build the foundation on which the house of rock and roll was built, certainly lives on in hip hop. No doubt about it.

If anyone can recommend artists of the same ilk as e.g. A Tribe Called Quest, albeit more current, I'm open. I would love to get into some current hip hop in addition to delving deeper into musical territories I had originally written off, being a fan of more traditional, standard rock music.

LavidDange, scotth and JohnnyQuest like this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

I'm going to post 10 videos and you tell me which song(s) you find the most appealing. From there I'll be able to narrow it down to the artists that will more suitable to your tastes.

I will be including both golden age rappers/rap groups and modern Hip-Hop acts. First we'll do modern artists since that's your primary focus.

Let's do this! :)

2. Joey Badass - O.C.B. [HQ] »

3. Complexion (A Zulu Love) »

4. 6PM In New York (Bonus Track) »

5. Tyler, The Creator - ****ing Young »

6. Breakfast- Curren$y »

7. J. Cole - Wet Dreamz »

8. Vince Staples - Norf Norf (Explicit) »

9. Wiz Khalifa - Mezmorized - OFFICIAL VIDEO »

10. Big K.R.I.T. - So Bad »

Bonus Track ;): Isaiah Rashad - Banana »

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  23. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Try This:

scotth likes this.
  24. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

That remix was came out on a white label 12". It was the B-Side to a Erick Sermon song that I can't remember right now.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

Thank you! This is a clear example of a remix kicking the original's ass.