Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. huge logo

huge logo Well-Known Member

I love rap and hip hop and this is a cool thread. I once saw Chuck D speak and he defined the difference between Rap and Hip Hop since you brought it up.

Rap is when you are adding vocals over existing music. When the DJ is playing records for you to rap over. Rap bands had a DJ.

Hip Hop is when the artist also creates original music to go along with it.

Rap evolved into hip hop but there are still real rap bands like "the cool kids" or "spank rock." But it had to end because the artists have trouble licensing the songs. the Spank Rock record is nothing like their live show which is loaded with samples that never make it on the record. First Death Grips record is worth $100 cuz it has unapproved samples.

By writing the music too it avoids that. And hip hop was born.

I am interested in others takes on the definition of rap. I am not gonna challenge Chuck D. And I am not an expert I am just sharing what he said--- I had never thought much about it before I saw him speak.

This is my favorite hip hop song right now -- to stay in the spirit.

2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

That's probably why I don't draw the distinction as well: I like both "hip hop" and "rap"...good point!

NapalmBrain likes this.
  3. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Well The Cool Kids rap over original beats so by Chuck D's definition they wouldn't be considered rap am I right?? I'm sorry, I'm just trying to understand what you wrote.

That being said--and I have heard Chuck D speak as well and have read his book "Fight the Power"--I'm pretty sure this definition of his is unconventional and largely unadopted...so he's saying that the difference between rap and hip hop is merely that "rap" means you're using a preexisting instrumental and in "hip hop" you're using an original one?? It seems like he's calling the styles closer to the roots "rap". That's a confusing take on the whole thing because it's in contradiction with the most widely accepted distinction.

FTR I recognize and respect the opinion of others who draw a distinction between the two (which usually contrasts "artistically" vs. "commercially" viable forms of the music) but I don't.

NapalmBrain and huge logo like this.
  4. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Dilated Peoples and The Roots' Black Thought are a potent combination on "Hard Hitters"

NapalmBrain likes this.
  5. Campbell Saddler

A fond reminder of how they carved out their own sound: Public Enemy "You're Gonna Get Yours"

6. huge logo

huge logo Well-Known Member

you make some good points. and I need to read that book.

Yeah I guess the Cool Kids do have original music now. I was thinking about their first record. It was mainly beat boxing and samples etc... The most old school music I had heard in forever. -- It is a trip that their is no hard and fast definition of what is what. But I guess there doesn't have to be.

So I get the impression that the name "rap" seems to have more credibility? Where hip hop is considered to be more commercial?

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

No no, it's typically the other way around--which is why Chuck D's definition is so perplexing.

huge logo likes this.
  8. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

You're Gonna Get Yours is a great song which Presents amazing old school rap album.

Public Enemy was the band which got me into rap music, Apocalypse 91 was my first rap album I got ,
    those were the days I was into industrial , New wave music and progressive rock (still today),

I went into my favorite alternative store and was hooked to the sounds and to the vocal delivery I heard ,
    it was Nighttrain by Public Enemy, after few seconds I bought the album which remains big favorite until today,
    the complex and the clever production is a real delicacy together with amazing vocals delivery.

NapalmBrain and Campbell Saddler like this.
  9. Front 242 Addict

2xUeL likes this.
  10. Campbell Saddler

The Alchemist has a tremendous backing track on Gangrene's "Take Drugs"

Machiventa likes this.
  11. Campbell Saddler

DJ Premier produced a catchy track for Mos Def's "Mathematics"

12. Front 242 Addict

Collaboration between Mos Def and Massive Attack : I like the dreamy electronic production with Mos Def powerful vocal performance.

13. Front 242 Addict

Gravediggaz - The Night The Earth Cried , this is from my favorite album of the band - The Pick, The Sickle And The Shovel 1997,
    one of my favorite tracks from the album :

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    2xUeL and Campbell Saddler like this.
  14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

All Hail Mixmaster Mike!

(Starts at 1:45)

15. George P

George P Notable Member

I can't stop laughing when I see your avatar, for I had planned to switch mine to the same one the night before you switched yours!

wolfram likes this.
  16. Campbell Saddler

They showed how non R&B/funk songs could be incorporated into hip hop settings: De La Soul "Eye Know"

smokeverbs, 2xUeL and wolfram like this.
  17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I thought "hip hop" was a cultural reference. Rap was a form of music in that culture. Certain R&B artistic are "hip hop". Then there is also fashion, language, and other forms of expression that are part of hip hop. I can't remember when I learned this distinction, but I've adhered to it pretty rigidly ever since. I like Rap, but not all Hip Hop.

Grant and George P like this.
  18. The issues with semantics between the two words grew out of KRS-1 whining about it in interviews. I don't think anyone else cared but him and a few others.

2xUeL likes this.
  19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Maybe I learned it from him. He's "the teacher" after all. I can't remember when the distinction was defined for me. I thought Wu-Tang had something to do with it as well.

20. Campbell Saddler

I like how it's referenced/sampled in other classic albums like It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Illmatic, and Wu-Tang Forever: T La Rock & Jazzy Jay "It's Yours"

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. Front 242 Addict

This is amazing track ! I am going right away to Discogs to order this track on an album and on a cd - I found this version on the 2005 cd version
    Lyrical King (From The Boogie Down Bronx) 2005

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  22. Front 242 Addict

Nine is a
    underrated artist from New York which I really like , i have 2 of his albums - Nine Livez 1995 and Cloud 9 1996
    this a track from Cloud 9 - 10 Make Or Take feat Smooth Da Hustler which has great jazz vibe

Campbell Saddler and 2xUeL like this.
  23. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Afrika Bambaataa defined Hip Hop in late seventies, he was the "first" to use the term Hip Hop.
    Your defenition is aligned with AB, I'm from the old school however, much has changed today.
    The Chuck D's definition was a surprise... really.

24. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Again, impressed. Another great slept-on album. This song and this whole album were so important to my upbringing, really. 6 Feet Deep is more "classic" but that's more of a "fun" album, this album is more serious and very educational.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I effing love this...so raw!