Hollies-40th Anniversery Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hotmale3606, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotmale3606

Hotmale3606 New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the new Hollies 6 cd Box set that is scheduled for release today? I know that on various other Hollies compilations, the sound quality has been all over the place. I bought the 3 cd Hollies 30th Anniversery Box Set that came out 10 years ago, and thought the sound quality was ok, but, not great. I know that some members of this group hate the sound on that set. I guess my question is: Have these tracks been remixed, as on the 30th anniversery edition, as opposed to jsut remastered? This set costs almost 100 bucks, so, I would like to make sure that the sound quality is upgraded considerably.

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Hollies 30th Anniversary Box Set are RF re-mixes! I like the sound on it, however, it doesn't capture the sound of the original mixes.

As for the new Hollies 6 CD Box Set, I haven't a clue. With all the EMI's newly remastered stuff that been coming out, I'm afraid of buying them because of them being NoNoised to death. Unfortunately, that seems to be business as usual these day's.

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

For what it's worth, allmusic.com has already posted an unusually extensive (for them) review of the box, by Bruce Eder.

link

4. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Well, from a quick glance at the list of songs...it appears they have done it again! It seems impossible to get a true comprehensive list of Hollies hits, even on a 6CD box set! They left out "Another Night", "Jennifer Eccles", "Carrie Anne", the original version of "I Can't Let Go" (substituted for a live version"....probably others.

Geez!!!!!!!

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You say it's coming out today. Is this a US release you are referring to, because it's been out in the UK for over a month? My friend stocks it in his record store. I was hoping it would get a US release, but I seriously doubted that it would.

6. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Yikes! No "Bus Stop" or "Look Through Any Window"! I would have thought they could find alternate versions or demos of these at least...In addition, I also would have thought they could have included "Marrakesh Express" on here....I thought there was a very early version that Graham made with the Hollies....

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I don't know if "Carrie Anne" was a hit in the U.K. I know the Hollies had different single releases here than in the U.K. In the past it seems, a lot of U.K. compilations ignore the U.S. hits.

8. guy incognito

Also "Look Through Any Window", "Bus Stop", "Stop Stop Stop", "On A Carousel", etc.

Actually, the fact that the big '60s hits are missing doesn't bother me much. If you're enough of a Hollies fan to spring for a box like this, you undoubtedly have at least one hits collection already (and probably several); leaving that stuff off the box lesses the possibility of unnecessary duplication and frees up more room for rarer material. I wish more boxes did that, actually.

9. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I agree with you, however, it would have been nice to get some alternate takes of the big hits at least.....

I probably have more Hollies CD than any other group, including the Beatles...so I have just about everything.

10. guy incognito

"Carrie Anne" was a #3 hit in the U.K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.