Holy Grail unreleased songs that you finally heard - and were disappointed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

If I recall correctly, Lewisohn said something about "quivering ocean bed vibrations," which made it sound, to me, like it was somehow heavier. Then it shows up on the Anthology. Disappointing? Yeah, a little bit. :rolleyes: If anything, it's a much lighter-weight version of the track with that thin, reedy drone going on and uh, where's the bass? What happened to the BASS?

ralph7109 and fallbreaks like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Ordinary People, yes. The live version was such a great performance and it was on the list of top unreleased Neil Young songs so people were pretty excited when it was announced as being on Chrome Dreams II. Unfortunately, the studio version didn't catch the fire of the live performance.

I'd consider it a "holy grail" because not everyone has access to bootlegs.

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Although I fully agree with you about this combination not really working I have mixed feelings to publically criticize those and other tracks, that only leaked out without the permission of the artists.
    They were unhappy themselves with the result and locked it away. We were not invited to be disappointed at all.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

20 years? Try 37.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Testify!

In every thread about "overrated" and "hype" you can count on the same tired, no-insight-having comments - often by the same few people who never tire of repeating the same tired crap. And, ever notice how they always refuse to spell it correctly?

SMiLE is unique, not just in Beach Boys history, but in all of rock/pop history. Too bad a few unimaginative sourpusses are unable to grasp that.

pnreum and Mr. D like this.
  6. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

That would be most of the ones on Blur's Blur 21 box set. When I heard them it was like "OK, the band were right all along". The only track on the rarities discs that was a keeper for me is Always (I'm Fine), since it captures the live energy of that track which was missing from the studio recording, and even that is simply an alternate recording of a previously released song.

Gaucho is a great, low key album. Of the outtakes, Second Arrangement gets a bit old after a few listens. Whereas Kind Spirit, Kulee Baba and Talkin' Bout My Home are far more interesting IMO.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

How about the slide on Beat It On Down The Line? That'll curl yer hair.

ruben lopez likes this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I thought the version released on Chrome Dreams II was just a live version with the Bluenotes from way back when. Definitely sounds like it's from 1989 (sonically, at least).

9. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

"Triad" by the Byrds

10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Interesting I have never heard Street Rats and its the only Pie album I don't own but I do enjoy most of the Scrubbers Sessions.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Karen Carpenter's solo album and the outtakes that leaked. The best three songs were on the box

12. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I think that Ordinary People was recorded at The Barn, Redwood Digital in the end of July 1988.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Smile is unique, all right. I personally was disappointed when I finally heard it, which, I think, is what the thread asks.
    Thanks for your evaluation of the worthiness of my reaction, though. Much appreciated.
    You know, some (myself included), consider the cheerleaders who endlessly rave about how awesome Smile is to be lemmings "who never tire of repeating the same tired crap."
    So, there you go. By the way, I think Smile is the proper spelling of the title. SMiLE is the way it was punctuated on the cover. By your withering criticism, the title of the first Beatles' Capitol album is properly spelled MEET THE BEATLES! That's kinda nuts.
    Surf's Up!

14. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I have a Japanese import of Street Rats and can assure you that your not missing much. They seem to of been running on fumes at this point, even covering three Beatles songs.

bruce2 likes this.
  15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

The Genesis "Jackson Tapes" - reading about them for years and years during my uber fandom led me to lust after hearing them like I've never lusted after anything in my life... Probably because I was 99% convinced we would never, ever hear them.

By the time they came out, I'd not exactly gone off genesis, but my fandom was starting to wane a bit, and so I heard them for what they are - some embryonic and not very well played versions of stuff that was recycled in a much better fashion later on.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I have to disagree about Genesis 'Jackson Tapes'

I remember first hearing 20 secs snippets of each of the 4 movements on an unofficial Genesis page.

I WAS THRILLED to hear early stages of 'Musical Box', 'Fountain of Salmacis' and 'Lilywhite Lilith'.
    When I first listened to the whole music pieces, it was unreal. Magical.

Same feeling I had when I first heard 'The Shepherd' on Archives 1967-1975.

Now listen to this my friend :wave:

kouzie, Galeans and Giant Hogweed like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

This surprises me. I think both of these tracks are worthy Syd tracks. Now if they would just release them so I could have them in good sound quality...

18. Gysin

Gysin Forum Resident

Nirvana's You Know You're Right. Very hyped but very overrated ... imho.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Beatles alternate version of Tomorrow Never Knows. What a bummer.

Edit: Mylene beat me to it

Mylene and Bill like this.
  20. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

I guess that depends if any studio version still exists. The take they were happy with was erased. Supposedly they tried to re-record and eventually lost interest. I'm not sure if it was finished and mixed or not. All that's out there is a poor quality bootleg of either a demo or alternate take.

21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I love Brand New Morning. One of the few albums I've paid a premium for ($40 USD for a VG- copy) and never once regretted it.

jdrueke likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I had never really heard about this stuff until it actually got released. To me, it was pretty fascinating to hear so many of these ideas getting aired that they would later develop into different songs that I've long loved. It's interesting from an historical perspective though to be honest, I don't often go back to these recordings. I guess that it often comes down to what your expectations are going in.

Galeans likes this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Scrubbers doesn't really sound like Humble Pie. It sounds like a keyboard album more than a guitar album.
    Street Rats sounds very much like the old HP, but the recordings are very rough and unpolished. It has its gems.

peachyg72 likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah. One of my favorite groups. And the ultimate Beatles acolyte doing a song titled Beatles Forever? Come on, that would have to be fantastic.

Uh...no....

fitzysbuna likes this.
  25. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The Beatles Get Back acetates. Not that they've been released. But I heard so much about them and when I heard them, I though, yeah... they were right, this is pretty bad. There's some good material, some charming material, but it simply wasn't up to snuff. Instead of crashing forward and completing the project, maybe they should have scrapped it (like the Stones' Rock and Roll Circus, to appear much later) and just have taken six moths to a year off. John only brought one good song (which was tossed off as a b-side), while Paul had too many. George had a ton, too - not that they recorded any of them in January 1969. It was a shame, really, and none of the acetates do them any favors. Let it Be is better, but still... not what it should or could have been.

pobbard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.