Homage to Sonny Rollins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bodine, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodine

bodine Senior Member Thread Starter

Got to see Newk last night at the Kennedy Center and even as he approaches 80, he's still a marvel, endlessly inventive, powerful tone, a protean figure. He tends to hobble a bit in a crabwalk as he prowls the stage with his sax now, but damn, he's as much fun to listen to and watch as he was when I first saw him 30 years ago.

My favorite moment was when he introduced "Cabin in the Sky" and stopped to reminisce about seeing the classic 40s jazz movie of the same name back when he was 11 years old in Annapolis, and being awed by watching Duke Ellington and Lena Horne. Then he segued to a personal memory about how at that pre-teen age he was smitten by a 19-year-old girl and how his heart broke when he saw he up on the stage, sitting with the Erskine Hawkins band. He then played the ballad, as tender and haunting a reading as I've ever heard.

Just incredible. Anyone else get to see him? Reactions?

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I saw him on the New Haven Green several years ago. It was a free show, relatively few people there, and he played for three plus hours. Just amazing.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I was fortunate enough to catch him a few years back. He is my favorite jazz musician, and a great performer. I always keep my eye out for him coming to NYC.

4. triple

triple Senior Member

I attended a concert of his a month ago. I am really glad I did decide to go... That was some amazingly powerful playing for his age, I must say. :thumbsup:

I wish he continues to be in good health and plays for jazz lovers around the world.

The accompanying musicians were also very good, although the sextet is a bit much for me - I could have lived without the guitar or trombone. The conga player was really good, though!

Goran

5. bodine

bodine Senior Member Thread Starter

I see where they're going to honor Springsteen and Grance Bumbry this week end along w Mel Brooks and Robert DeNiro for this year's Kennedy Honors. Talents all, but hard to believe the greatest surviving jazz legend doesnt have his own honor...

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Looking forwards to seeing him in Tarrytown Sunday

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sonny Rollins is one of my favorite jazzmen. Freedom Suite is especially fine. The old OJC or the old JVC issue is best. Vastly underrated in my book!

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

So obviously (see my avatar) I have to contribute to this discussion.

I saw him in June in Toronto. In retrospect (and unofficial-recording-spect :shh:), a magical night, although I posted a somewhat ambivalent review at the time:

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=170706

The sound of Sonny Rollins is one of my favorite human sounds. I never tire of it. And I love the way his sound has changed over the years. It's more brittle and vulnerable now. In the 50s it was full of, to use a Middle English word that deserves revival, bobbaunce (means just what it sounds like); in the 60s it lost some of that and gained, in the bargain, incredible richness - he had a richer sound than any saxophonist besides Eric Dolphy - and a new rhythmic delicacy, both of which increased in the 70s. (See, or rather hear, his spellbinding reading of "Skylark" from 1972.) By the 80s we hear the beginnings of his sound today.

IMO Road Shows vol. 1 is one of his greatest albums ever. Not bad for a guy pushing 80, although the album does contain a couple of tracks from long, long ago when he was merely a spring chicken of 50.

And tell me that the man on the cover of Sonny Rollins +3 isn't the coolest man alive. Just tell me.

9. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Sonny Rollins is at the top of my list of "Musical Legends I desperately need to see before I don't have the chance anymore". I hope I get to catch him soon! Great to know he's still got it! Thanks!
    ------- Chris

10. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Coincidentally, my gf and I are listening to a nice late-'60's/early-'70's OJC pressing of Worktime as we cook. Not kidding.

"No Business..." is imbued by Sonny with such incredible life and joy that you almost forget what a virtuoso he was at 24 or 25. Just astonishing.

A wonderful record, and I don't feel like I hear enough recognition of it. Very nearly up there with classics like "Colossus," "Village Vanguard," and "Vol. 2," etc. IMO....

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If you don't own "Saxophone Colossus" in some form, you need to buy a copy real fast. It is one of the essential jazz recordings and one of the 50 core classics any record collector needs. I love Newk's playing and my life is better since I was turned on by my music teacher in elementary school.

12. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

13. il pleut

il pleut New Member

we saw him in philly last fall, he was wonderful as always. his band is good but he's at such another level that the success of the concert is determined by how much he plays.

the highlight for me was a long, beautiful version of "someday i'll find you". i never wanted it to end. there are really no words to express what a privelege it is to be able to hear him play.

14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I just happen to be listening to a needle drop of a 70s Blue Note Rollins compilation right now. Quite nice.

15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Lately that has been a showpiece for his incredible drummer, I think named Kobi Watkins.

16. il pleut

il pleut New Member

you know, i can't even remember if there was a drum solo, long or short in the tune (i think so). but sonny did play on it at length and he was terrific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.