Home Improvement (ABC TV show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Guessing JTT might have been one of the few child stars smart enough to keep tabs on his money. He was in several fairly large kids movies during Home Improvement and then went on to attend Harvard. But he's only done part time acting since and probably isn't really making much money from it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's directing stuff now, but did make an appearance on Last Man Standing as Patricia Richardson's son.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I remember seeing that on LMS. He kind of reminds me Macaulay Culkin in the sense that he's only been doing the very occasional project but no apparent problems with money. And unlike the former he seems to have a pretty clean track record.

Loved this show as a kid, especially the earlier seasons. It probably went on for too long and after a while the chemistry and comedy were both starting to wane. The youngest kid, in particular, looked like a depressed mess.

Jarleboy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The last time I remember seeing JTT and ZTB was on SMALLVILLE. JTT played a "villain" in Season 1 I think who could split himself into multiple people and he returned in Season 2. ZTB was in Season 3 as a Jock who was juicing himself with Kryptonite ( don't ask) and pulling off robberies.

5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

wasnt he really bad starting off? I could see it just being him actually playing

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. jason88cubs

Yea but think of the money he is getting from reruns and dvd sales

7. MikaelaArsenault

I don’t know too much about Brad being in the band except for those two episodes, but I'll take your answer.

8. MikaelaArsenault

They were on Smallville?

9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

As guest stars. The " villains" of the week.

10. MikaelaArsenault

I'm looking up those episodes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

Are there other episodes besides the two I mentioned that have this?

12. jason88cubs

i've googled, cant find anything

Remember the episode where Jill's mom brings Mark drums for his birthday and that wa sthe only episode it was mentioned lol

13. MikaelaArsenault

Is it an early episode?

14. jason88cubs

season 2

45 21 "Much Ado About Nana" Andy Cadiff Howard J. Morris March 17, 1993 A344
    Jill's mother, Lillian (Polly Holliday), comes to visit for Mark's birthday. She comes bearing gifts: a drum set for Mark, and a family heirloom for Jill. But instead of the antique clock that she loves and really wanted, Lillian gives her a tea set, which Jill does not know why she received it.

15. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

16. jason88cubs

I vaguely remember the episode. Didnt think it was that good

it is on youtube though

--scratch that.. there is some decent stuff on there. Tim is funny in this episode, but when is he not?

17. MikaelaArsenault

I'll watch on Dailymotion instead.

18. MikaelaArsenault

Do you know what that was?

19. jason88cubs

strong medicine

20. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks Jason.

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. MikaelaArsenault

I just got this new book on my e-reader today that is written by the mother of one of the boys on the show.

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I haven't seen a complete "Home Improvement" episode since the series finale. I religiously watched the first few seasons before eventually losing interest, and I remember laughing a lot.

I noticed the series is on HuLu and after reading this thread I decided to take a trip down sitcom memory lane! So many years later and I'm a different person and comedy has evolved dramatically, I didn't really expect much.

The good news is yes, it is still funny albeit in a dated way. Tim's he-man grunting schtick isn't particularly clever or insightful by any means, but for whatever reason I still chuckled. It's a show packed with simplistic, outdated gender roles and stereotypes, but the cast chemistry and writing carries it over its premise. Seriously, this kind of stuff would be utterly insufferable if the writing wasn't smart and snappy.

Also, I didn't remember how little screen time Tim's sidekick Al got in the earliest episodes. That struck me as kind of interesting. I assume they really hit their stride by season 2?

It's funny that someone actually mentioned the lighting earlier in this thread, and I did find myself appreciating what they accomplished in a 3-camera sitcom shot on standard-def videotape. There were some scenes that looked downright superb...looking past the resolution issue.

Speaking of that... God I HATE how HuLu formats standard-def programming into a 16x9 picture. Picture quality is gruesome and parts that are essential to the story/joke are missing. An entire 'ToolTime' bit was ruined because the chyron at the bottom was cropped out.

Anyway, this show made me belly laugh quite a lot when I was in my early-20s, but now I mostly chuckled. It's still an enjoyable little nostalgia trip, however.

dan c