Homemade Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by L.P., Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a pair of speakers that a coworker of my father built for him in the early seventies. I wonder if i could use them with my old Denon amp, but I don't know any technical data, like impedance.

According to what I found online, one has to disassemble the cabinet and measure the speakers with a multimeter.

Would it work if I just used the multimeter on the speakercables? I mean the cables that come out of a hole in the back of the speakers, there are no connectors on the back of the speakers. So I wouldn't have to disassemble them?

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Hook em up and give them a whirl. What could happen?

3. L.P.

Okay! :)

It's just because I read that it's very bad for either speakers or amp if they don't fit together. I thought impedance was the main thing.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you're concerned it wouldn't hurt to ensure the speakers aren't shorted (unlikely). But getting a reading with an ohm meter isn't really telling you much other than the speakers aren't open or shorted.

Hook'em up.

5. L.P.

Shorted they aren't, that's for sure. I hooked them up to the old receiver/amp they were connected to over the decades, and they are still working.

The receiver/amp is branded "HEA Steuergerät 8000". I'm sure you never heard of that brand. They were made in Vienna/Austria but the company is out of business since the 80ies I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.