Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Um...no. I was just using that as an example to illustrate my point that music can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime. You don't necessarily need to be at home listening to an album from start to finish to get enjoyment out of it or to appreciate it.

2. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I picked that name at random because I have over 3000 CD's. I'm sure many people on here have collections that far outnumber mine, but among my family and friends, I think I have the most CD's out of all of us. I never thought about the mp3 angle of it.

3. You might be surprised how many people travel extensively on business and dwell in hotels, airports, airplanes, trains, buses and automobiles for weeks at a time.

My longest continuous stay away from home was 6 weeks.

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Hey, Goombay. You're repeating material.

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I did a 6 month business trip in the early 80s. It forced me to buy my first Walkman.

I also did a 3 month road trip in the late 80s.

starduster likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I'm trying to think why somebody wouldn't want 40,000 songs in their pocket :shrug:

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Just bought a new LG 34C that I plan to install a 32 GB card in, any recommendations for both music playing and headphone apps?

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Apparently convenience is offensive to some people.

ARK, Comet01 and Halloween_Jack like this.
  9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

No. More like unnecessary.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm in a hotel room listening to music on my kindle fire. Later today I'm driving to a friend's house. On the way I'll listen to music in the car on my iPod. My vinyl and CDs will be waiting for me when I come home in ten days. No withdrawal symptoms. Truly the best of both worlds.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

To you and your ilk perhaps. Some of us like it.

12. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

"My ilk"? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Good one!

EasterEverywhere and ibanez_ax like this.
  13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My phone currently has about 6,000 songs on it... I was very happy when they came out with 128GB iPhones. That's how I play music in my car. I'm in my car a lot. I need a little variety!

rburly likes this.
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm about to spend 2 1/2 weeks away from home. Having a zillion songs in my pocket thanks to Beats Music works great for me.

Oliver, starduster and ibanez_ax like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Thought you might like that.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Sure you are, just in a different way. You keep CDs in your car for a reason. So they are there when you want them.

ARK and nbakid2000 like this.
  17. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

i currently carry ~2000, but mine are all 256kbps Ogg Vorbis. I still have plenty of room to spare on my 128gb microSD card.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Exactly. No downside. I don't "need" to have 25,000 songs on my iPod classic, but it's a nice option to have. It allows me to have nearly my entire collection at my fingertips for whenever the moment strikes. If I'm driving down the road and something comes to mind, I've got it. If I read a post here, reminding me of an album or song I haven't played in awhile, I have it. It also helps me to listen to more of an artists catalog than before, by making albums of b-sides, rarities, bonus tracks, etc.. It makes music MORE valuable to me by allowing me to get more of my money's worth out of the purchase. I don't have to think "ahh, that one's back at the house." I have two small kids, which makes music listening at the house not what it used to be. But I am in the car for nearly 90 minutes a day driving to and from work. I don't have a discman anymore, so I can't think, "I want to listen to this album as I rake the leaves, or shovel the snow, let me sit down and put it in my iPod." It's already there. Word.

So really, why not?

spanky1, Driver 8 and OobuJoobu like this.
  19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The cloud seems to have taken the place of Apple coming out with a 5TB iPod.

bluelips likes this.
  20. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Maybe an 8 year old can explain it for you:

rburly, ARK, Andrew and 1 other person like this.
  21. Most people on the forum live in the first world. We like all sorts of things that aren't necessary. If you get right down to it, music is not a real necessity.

ARK, Driver 8 and nbakid2000 like this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well I think the OP hit is on the head with this one word -- "want".

No, it's not a need. I can certainly deal with a few albums in my pocket like I used to a decade+ earlier with those 256MB MP3 players. Or my Walkman with the few cassettes I used to carry around with me. We'd all survive I'm sure.

But the ability to stream or play offline the vast bulk of my collection? That's just awesome. I want that. :)

ARK likes this.
  23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Again, this is the only music forum where listening to music is frowned upon.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

What do I want for Christmas?
    40,000 songs in my pocket!

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Goombay, I thought they banned your @ss a while ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.