Honeymooners Classic 39 Review

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I bought the Classic 39 on Tuesday at Best Buy for 40.99 and it was well worth it. The episodes look great and they are just as funny as I remembered them. Who knew they could look so good? I remember watching them on WGN or TBS or maybe CBS and they looked terrible. These new DVDs are super. Now I just wish I could find the lost episodes for a decent price.

2. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

What extras are included with this set?? I saw this in Costco for $34.99...

3. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

The Anniversary show from 1990 hosted by Audrey Meadows plus the original opening and closings featuring the Buick ads.

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Because these episodes were shot on film (at Gleason's insistance) they should look good. Glad to hear that they've done a good job with the DVD release.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have the laserdisc box sets and was wondering how the DVD box compares?

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

For whatever it's worth--and I've learned to take these things with a grain of salt--there's at least one less-than-flattering review of the "Honeymooners" box at Amazon.com.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Maybe this reviewer should save up some cash and just buy the whole, goddamn rights to the show and do it himself. Sometimes folks yapping gives me a headache (even my own yapping)....

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

All the honeymooners shows that survive in Film format were made from the Dumont Electronicam Cameras. They are an exact copy edit (well almost) of what out over the air from the directors booth.

The Honeymooners "Lost" episodes that have that Kinescope Look are in fact just that....made off the Dumont off the air monitor.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm thrilled we have ALL 39 Episodes on DVD!...and at a great price to boot:):thumbsup:

Ditto for "Lost In Space"! This is my most anticipated DVD release! Can't wait till January! Sure, better transfers would be welcomed.
    I'm better off with than without them:)

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Incredible, night-and-day difference!!! I A-B'd them. Look at the end credits for all you have to know. The background on the lasers is medium-grey, on the DVDs it is pitch black. The episodes (with a few minor exceptions where they had to use lesser sources) look like they were filmed yesterday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.