Hooking up the speakers...ouch!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adam, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, update on my new system. I hooked up my 5 M&K S-1B satellites, 2 V-1B Subs to my new Parasound HCA-855 85x5 Channel Amp, using my old Monster Powerline2 12 gauge speaker wire. I didn't use spades or bananas, just naked wire and have been having a hell of a time getting them to stay on the Amp posts. This wire is over 1/2" in diameter and five of these suckers in close quarters is a nightmare. I think, no matter how tightly I screw them down, the torque they create by mere mass just yanks them out. I've got it now, but the Amp is sticking 5 inches over the shelf to give enough room in back for all that copper & rubber. Any ideas? I was thinking of stripping a foot or so of the outter sheeth and just bring the two 12 gauge leads into the cabinet. What do you guys think?

2. Adam

Adam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, and BTW, the sound is unbelievable. I know this is just a modest system, and all my speakers aren't placed properly and settings, etc. but the sound is truly exciting. I brought my 18 year old brother over to listen and we played Star Wars episode 2 and that silver prop plane flying through space, came right over our heads and my whole house shook as if it were really there....wow.

3. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I would try and get spades attached. Sometimes your local dealer can do this or send it back to Monster who should also be willing to do this. Also, I found the Audioquest speaker post wrench to be helpful in getting those binding posts nice and tight.

Good luck.

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Or a nut driver or a 6 sided socket works the same.

Glad to see you got it all hooked up.
    Your post makes me want to go listen watch a movie in my family room.

The train in Road to Perdition shook the house.

You could always get some 14g for the rear channels.

Crimp on spades may help also. I have some unterminated 12g and it is BIG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.