Horror Films: The Good, the Bad & Why it Works as a Genre (or doesn't)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheel

Wheel Forum Resident

The movie with the warning before fright scenes could be "Chamber of Horrors" (1966). It used a gimmick like that.

2. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

That’s the one!! Thank you so much I’ve been looking for that for years!!!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never got into the SAW Franchise due to self mutilation...it sickens me.

4. Michael

the formula never fails them and they use it religiously...and yes, it can get quite boring...and disgusting! I've come away from gore lately. It's just too much. I've been enjoying the non- bloody scare!

eric777 likes this.
  5. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

See, I thought that the first SAW movie was pretty cool, because it could possibly happen, though entirely unlikely. It at least had that going for it.

I think it's all the ghost and ghoul stuff that I'm getting turned off on.

6. Michael

I'm enjoying the ghost & ghoul stuff more theses day than gore...Interesting. : )

7. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Didn't do anything for me. Each to their own.

8. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

It's not that I like gore. It's pretty boring. To me, with Saw, the gore was just a byproduct of the story, not the main thrust.

Now, the other Saw films just weren't the same as the first one.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

What didn't you like about it?

10. Most horror movies do not scare me as a whole. I find tidbits of scenes within a scary movie leave me with the best, or worst, mental imagery.
    Sometimes the movie itself really stinks but one scene, or action, can be great.

Some of the stuff I am talking about are things like this:
    The movie Creep Show. The short, "The Crate". When we first encounter the monster and it bites the janitor. He is sitting there, stunned on the floor with his arm in the crate, but we have yet to see the monster. Then the monsters arm comes down and grabs the janitor, pulling him up and eating him completely in a few seconds.
    The thought of an entire human man being eaten in a few seconds puts my imagination in a pretty scary place.

The movie "Fright Night" When the kid (Tommy I think) is watching from the darkness of his room as the vampire attacks a girl in the early part of the movie. Tommy thinks he is safe, unnoticed, in his dark room watching across the yard into the vampires house. Suddenly the vampire turns and looks directly at Tommy.
    My imagination goes into a scary place when thinking about having the thoughts and feelings of being safe and secure, only to find out you are anything but.

For me it is the little detail like these that are scary. Not things like blood, guts, special powers, witch spells, curses, or other supposedly scary things.
    I will say I do enjoy a speedy, relentless, single minded zombie though...like the creatures in "Legend." You better have your ducks in a row to survive those things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.