Housemartins' London vs. The People: Which One Do You Like Better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everton, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damnspynovels

damnspynovels Well-Known Member

I vote for "People...", I think... difficult.

The Housemartins were my first ever musical obsession. Man, I remember walking around my childhood home, 'He 'Aint Heavy" on the walkman, in tears that they were no more.

Happy Hour was inescapable to anyone with an ear towards the charts in the UK in the mid 80s, but my first major exposure to them was when Radio One first broadcast that Nottingham gig a year later. For some reason, I recorded it, inventing titles for songs I didn't know on the inlay card ('b-b-b-bow!', hilariously for example).

I played that tape to death and, as teenage funds allowed, subsequently got the albums. I think I got 'People..' first, so it's the one that starts it all for me. It's more accomplished, that's for sure. What's odd is that when I think of songs like "We're Not Going Back", it's the live version from that gig that's ingrained on my psyche, so listening to the album is often very refreshing

They've both got their moments, but if I have to pick, it's "People..."

Back to the tears though, I was overjoyed when TBS appeared, and bought Song For Whoever without hearing it. It wasn't what I wanted though. No jangle maybe? Too slow? One of its b-sides, Straight In At 37 was closer to the mark. And I really liked their first album. The second one though, I'd probably moved on and it just didn't do it for me.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Sadly you're probably right, but we can hope. I only ever saw The Housemartins live once, in Portsmouth supported by The Farm and North of Cornwallis. Not a great gig but a memorable one because the tension on stage was palpable with Norman Cook and Paul Heaton clearly sniping at each other constantly.

Great band and I've no idea which album I'd vote for - London is a charming debut and People has some career highlights in Johannesburg and There's a light...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.