How Can You Identify the Original Michael Jackson "Bad" CD, With Original Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houston

houston Forum Resident Thread Starter

did a little searching, but no concrete answers...if it is made in Austria? the original Japan release? what about the embossed statement on the front insert, that says "contains bonus track"? IIRC, that bonus track, "leave me alone", is on all the bad cd's, the bonus is there is one more song on CD than the cassette...correct? any specific catalouge # to look for?

2. houston

houston, it's been an hour since you posted, and nobody has even VIEWED your thread...I bet no one here even knows there was an original "bad" cd, whose mixes were later changed, little-by-little...next time try another Beatles thread :cool:

M321115, helter and Panama Jack like this.
  3. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

4. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

From my experiences, if you have a cd of copy of BAD with the old Epic Records logo, then you have found the original mixes. Copies with the newer logo ... the one with the circles on it ... have the newer mixes on there. Hope that helps.

5. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

i know all about them Houston but i cannot really help you.

5 songs were altered in one way or another between September 1987 to December 1988. it appears that the switches didn't all happen at once.

some of the discs may have all the changes (the latter pressings) .. some may have three, two, or even one..

unfortunately there is no way to tell just by looking at the discs themselves and it has nothing to do with the catalogue numbers or the booklet.

the best bet is look on eBay for something in the description stating "first pressing" or "original mixes".. or purchase a whole pile of the Cd's and hope for the best..

you have to know what you're listening out for ultimately!

there are threads here in the archives explaining the differences of the 5 cuts. good luck.

6. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

this article in incorrect.. it's not just the Japanese editions with the mixes. i puchased my Bad cd on the day of release in London and my copy has them.

7. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I think he means to say the "Made in Japan" editions. Regardless, found that in 40 seconds with google.

8. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Did you use a stop watch?

erniebert likes this.
  9. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

YES. :agree: :winkgrin:

10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I know this is another album, but was Off The Wall ever issued on CD in the US with Michael's face on the cover?

12. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

My made in USA copy has the original mixes.

13. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

My made in Austria copy has the original mixes.

14. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I don't know about US pressings, but over here in the EU early copies with the original mixes can easily be identified by the fact that the booklet clearly states that the song Leave me alone was a bonus track. Of course this song is on ALL issues of the Bad CD, but at the time the CD still had to compete with the vinyl album, that didn't include this song.

That's the first issue from 1987 in EU countries, catalog nr. CDEPC-450290. Discs were often pressed in Austria.

There's one for sale real cheap on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Michael-Jackson-...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item2c57f798eb
    The mention of the bonus track is in the red coloring in the upper left corner of the booklet.

15. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Yes, it was. I don't know all of the details, but it was switched to the "legs" cover in the early 90's. I'd guess around '93?

16. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

that's not strictly true.. i have a 1988 pressing with THREE of the changes and they still have that red logo thingy..
    the alternate Bad without horns, the different TWYMMF and the no-intro IJCSLY.. Dirty Diana and Smooth Criminal are still the original versions.

17. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Ok, Waldo, I'll take your word for that. So it's not only about the cover, obviously.

From that earlier Bad thread I learned from your post that there were five differences between the original version and later pressings.

As you said, later issues of the Bad album feature different versions of:

'The Way You Make Me Feel' = "vocal fade out" added

'Smooth Criminal = heavy breathing taken off on the intro

and the 45 versions of the following three were added:

'Bad' = which has less trumpets throughout first half of the song

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' = which is minus the spoken introduction

'Dirty Diana' = which was edited early before final "crowd screams"

So you have a 1988 copy that has only three of the five changes? That would mean that there must have been a different version (and a different mastering?) for a short time somewhere circa 1988-1989?

18. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

yep that's correct. it's terribly frustrating isn't it. there's also a Bad cd with just the no-intro IJCSLY switch.
    it appears that there are BAD cd's with either one, three or all five switches.

and then you get to the 2001 Special Edition with bonus cuts.

19. houston

what other details can you provide about your pressing with 'that red logo thingy'? catalouge #? how does it differ from a cd that has all original mixes? I assume the date on the insert is still 1987, not 1988?

20. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have an original CD, and I know all about the switching out of the mixes.

My CD is packed up, but I believe it was pressed in Terre Haute, Indiana.

22. Grant

The vocal is louder.

23. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

yes maybe.. i've only noticed the extra vocals at the end which kick in a good 20 or so seconds before the end.

Give It To Me.. Give Me Some Time
    Come On Be My Girl.. I Wanna Be With Mine
    Ain't Nobody's Business.. Ain't Nobody's Business But Mine And My Baby's
    Go On Girl! .. Give It To Me.. Give Me Some Time

24. Grant

Michael's vocal definitely louder throughout the song. The keyboards are louder too.

25. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Wow, I bought the CD when it was released.
    I'll need to go dig it out and check to make sure.
    Never heard there was an issue with the mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.