How clean should your stylus be?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an Exact stylus and a Project brush that I clean it with. Sometimes it’s very hard to brush off any of the microfibres that it picks up as, obviously, brushing back to front seems to drag them around the stylus. I invested in a cheap little magnifying glass (I know, getting into dangerous anorak behaviour) to look at the stylus and see when it needs cleaning and there are always some fibres stuck to it and the tip doesn’t look particularly sharp, more rounded. It is hard to see up close with a small magnifier though.

The stylus is only 4 or 5 months old and the system sounds great but yesterday one song played with a lot of distortion which then disappeared once I brushed the stylus but it still appears “rounded” not pointed. Is it possible it’s caked in something or is that how they appear?

2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Are you using the flimsy brush that sits in the liquid? Or wetting the stylus and then using the circular headed brush they supply you with?
    I can't imagine microfibers being dragged 'around the stylus' if you are doing the latter. Don't be afraid to give it a hard scrub.

I know people who use an emery board to scrape their stylus (not me) -
    I only mention it because it is a reminder to me that the stylus is not as fragile as many think it to be.
    It can survive a quite thorough (back to front) scrub.

I use zerodust after every side or two.
    And #9 on brush after my night of listening.
    There should be no collection of residue with that type of care.

Some time back I brought my Koetsu to a local dealer for a cleaning due to construction dust in my house - and I was aghast at how hard he gave that thing a back to front cleaning.
    I now have no fear of doing that myself and have had no issues.

Caveat: do not give your stylus this thorough cleaning after a night of drinking/partaking/listening. A mistake I've made and will not repeat.

3. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I heard a few wipes of a matchbox strike helps. I do this every once an awhile

4. Porkpie

I have the circular head brush but don’t use any liquid. I have a Dust Buster but don’t find it any use at removing stuck on dirt, just the superficial fluff that it picks up.

5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

99% of all problems gone with a RCM

6. Porkpie

I clean every record, used or new, before it gets on the TT.

Madlove likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If your records are clean you couldn't be having this problem, so if you want a solution you need to attack the root cause - the stuff caked on your stylus can only be coming from your records, right? You need to clean them. :)

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Hard to say sharp or rounded, even with substantial magnifying glass. Simply it's not enough. However if you clean your records, more often than not just blowing gently onto the stylus is efficient and enough. Tested on cartridges from 50€ to 2000€.

9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Clean enough to eat off of.

10. Porkpie

They are cleaned, did you not read that? I’m saying it looks like the stylus has something on it. It could be from the Dust Buster.

Sondek and bluemooze like this.
  11. Porkpie

I think that might be it, that I was expecting to see the detail in the stylus with the magnifying glass and obviously it’s not that strong so it appears rounded

12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I've been using one of these for years. Best I've seen. I even wore out my first one.

Stylus Cleaner

Porkpie likes this.
  13. Get the Ondow Zerodust. Usually around $40. It's stunning how much gunk it's taken off my stylus on a regular basis...and I clean my records.

Best,

Bill

14. Porkpie

I think it’s practically the same as what I also have:

Vinyl Passion Dust Buster Polymer Gel Stylus Cleaner https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VEORZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jOK-zbEPSGCNC

Gasman1003 and Bill Why Man like this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and as clean as your "behind".

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Good reason to clean and or play clean records. A stylus will still need an occasional clean and inspection, but a clean record will not dirty
    a stylus.

17. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Brings a whole new meaning to Swamp Rock.

Trapper J and stay crunchy like this.
  18. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Was going to ask what a dust buster is, then noticed your link, thanks!
    I do believe the dust buster is the cause of the problem.
    First of all, your stylus can not be worn to a nub after only 5 months of use. So, it must be caked up. The only option for cleaning it from my experience is with isopropyl alcohol, and a good stylus brush. Even if your manufacturer does not recommend alcohol, just this one cleaning will not dissolve the epoxy.

The caked up deposit is simply gel residue plus adhered dust.. (and maybe some microfibers) It may be very crusty and difficult to remove. You have a magnifier, a necessary tool for keeping your stylus clean. So all you need at this point is a stylus brush. I do not have any recommendation as I have my own (which I am applying a patent and so can not disclose at this time) and my two other brushes are Signet from the 1980's, which are accessories that came with the cartridge... very good brushes.

The stylus brush should be dense, medium stiffness, must not be too soft.
    As you know, clean back to front, however the better method is 60 degrees cross-wise, back to front. This aids in cleaning the front surface of the stylus. If using a stylus brush, the side to side motion and slight deflection of the cantilever during cleaning will not harm it, nor the suspension. You'll just have a clean stylus.

So many hi-fi enthusiasts have recently adapted some "fancy" method of cleaning their styli.. the old way is the best way! !!!!
    You'll have no problems, ever.

good luck :)
    Steve VK

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Member of the temperance league of Tennessee

So clean...

ruben lopez and The FRiNgE like this.
  20. gov

gov Forum Resident

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

spotless...when I was collecting vinyl I used my Discwasher system constantly...

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

some are cleaner than others...HAHAHAHAHA

ruben lopez likes this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Member of the temperance league of Tennessee

I’ll take your word for that.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I brush my stylus after every side, just by habit, and my Zerodust was a waste of money. I try it every now and then and have never pulled anything off my stylus. I also clean every album, new or used. Been doing this since the 70's

Long Live Analog and Manimal like this.
  25. Wish I could say the same!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.