"How did YOU get here?" Can everyone participate in this thread? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I really don't remember how I started posting here. I think someone alerted me to this site from the ICE Magazine discussion boards. Though I rarely feel inclined to add my two cents in, I find this an invaluable resource on all things Rock 'n Roll. There's always someone who can answer any question I might have.

2. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Re: Welcome home

Unpack? When I could be here with you guys..nah!!!

Next time I'll have to pack a laptop computer, then I won't miss a thing!!!:cool: :laugh:

3. My background is similar to Gardo. I was sort of aware of Steve. I have owned a copy of the DDC Joni Mitchell - Blue for a couple/3 years. It was sold to me by a great Audio Arc in Edmonton (high end stereo store). The guys up there are big fans of Steve. I actually heard of this forum/Steve's site, through the Ice chat room, probably one of Luke's threads. He and others ocassionally refer to this forum, so I thought I'd check it out. I have been most impressed.

I have found a wealth of information here. Thanks to Steve for this forum and to all of you for steering me clear of such discs as the Chicago remasters and the botched Bowie 30th Anniversary Ziggy Stardust. I'm now paying closer attention to new remasters with my ears and with the information I'm gathering here. Newly remastered, 24 bit CD does not always equal better sound. Now I will check in here first. No more running out to the CD store and blindly buying a disc just because it's been remastered. It's nice to have the collective ears and equipment here to be able to warn us of bad remasters, or praise the good ones. And it's very cool to see Steve's comments in here from time to time. His recent note on digital compression is burned into my memory banks.

Thanks again.

"Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?" Bumper sticker

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I was looking for a picture of Bill Inglot to satisfy my curiosity. After a few wrong turns I wound up plastering my opinions and rants on this forum.

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Steve H.'s name kept popping up here and there - on the DCC disks, in TAS, etc. I can't remember what it was, but I first came here to find out more about something, and since I've been fascinated with mastering from an early age, I read all of the articles posted by Steve. But I didn't delve into the forums until the other day, when I went looking for information on the new Stones CDs, specifically if they were all SACD, since there was no marking on the package. I didn't realize there were so many forums! (Fora?) Looks like I got sucked right in!

BTW the record I'm holding in my "avatar" is a U.K. Frank Sinatra EP, "Hey Jealous Lover!", with "How Little We Know", "Flowers Mean Forgiveness" and "You Forgot All The Words". I still have it. It'd probably sound lovely, but it's hard to tell -- I hadn't leared about record care at that tender age, nor had my parents.

6. lushlife

lushlife New Member

how I found the light

Dear Steve,
    Tom Port hipped me to this site and I'm grateful to him forever for that. Sure, he's opionated, but go, Tom, go. Because of him I bought my firsrt DCC disc (Steve Miller) and was convinced.
    You've taken time out of your busy schedule to reply to me personally and so have others. All I can say is thanks to you and thanks to all.

P.S. Please consider remastering Soft Machine's first album and Sting's "Bring on the Night." There would be no Napster or home taping debate if these guys would get it right the first time and not collect multiple royalties for the same material.
    Cheers,
    Lushlife

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

How I got here.

A good friend, who is also a new member of this forum (you know who you are!) gave me a heads up. I tuned in, got turned on to a lot of good sound I didn't realize I had, and got some good guidance on getting more. It's also been fun. There are some smart, well informed, and sensitive ears out there. So I'm hooked.

Here and happy to be,

lschwart

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You are all most welcome here!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.