How do you clean a stylus safely?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

I do not use any liquids or sticky "goops" on my styli, ONLY dry methods
    My brush lightly dampened with isopropyl , that's it for the liquids
    This is one of my favorite methods for after those long marathon sessions (party party!) when you've really got some serious cleaning to do, the "reverse spin" technique aka "the whirling dervish"..............I especially love it when I can do the double duty bonus thing! (as you can see, fixes pesky scratches too!)
    Keeps my needles nice, sharp AND clean:

2. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

My 3 year old Ortofon Jubilee. I use a Magic Eraser before each side...[​IMG]

3. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I was using the Majic eraser and one of those pancake shaped stylus brushes until I heard about the Zerodust clone ( Moongel Damper Pads). For normal cleaning I bought one of these..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/251909725898?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.
    I feel it's more effective and safer to use than other stylus brushes, ....I use the Moongel "only" when I notice any gunk build-up. So far only clean stylus's and no bent cantilevers. Hooray!

4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

The photo is taken from above. Since the 440ML is mounted on a universal type headshell for my Technics SL-1200, I'm able to remove it and place it on the microscope stage on my stereo microscope. I remove the stylus assembly from the cartridge and place it on the stage for viewing, to get a photo I have a digital camera made to replace one of the objective eyepieces. I tried a digital USB microscope that claimed 800x, and it produced such poor images that I returned it. Which microscope are you using? I'd like to get images like you've taken. I'd really like to get one that can give 800x to better inspect for wear, since you need to be able to see the very tip of the stylus as that's what rides in the groove.

6. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I've just bought a couple of magic erasers, I give them a try and see how they go. Going of topic a bit I've just recieved an Ortofon force gauge, the balance scale type. I was quite surprised how far out it was, having just been set on the dial settings.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why do you feel it's more effective and safer than the magic eraser?

8. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK but I still can't visualize it. Is that dark area the stylus? If it is it looks worn.

I got 2 cheap usb microscopes. The pictures you see are from the Veho VMS-004 it is a 20x and 400x. It was very hard to get the hang of the 400x setup. I can't imagine trying it at 800x. At 400x the tiniest move moved you way off. 800 would be insane.

9. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Please carefully re-read my post.....I said the Shure stylus brush was safer and more effective when followed by the Moongel.
    I was always somewhat worried when using the rough pancake stylus brush that it might twist the diamond/cantilever.
    No worries anymore!!!

10. ghost rider

This is the one I am using came with my XX2 and is the same one that came with the mofi lp#9. I would think its ok anyone know someone who damaged theirs with one of these?
    [​IMG]
    img upload

11. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

It's not worn, it only has about 150 hours on it. You're probably having a difficult time visualizing it for two reasons: first, it's not how we normally view a stylus, and secondly, because of how I photographed it there is an issue with perspective. I can clearly see the facets of the stylus (it's a MicroLine) on my computer, but the image is nowhere near as clear as the view through microscopes objective. That said, the digital photo itself simply isn't detailed enough, and zooming in reveals all of the digital noise captured by the camera, which distorts the image. BTW it's a stereo microscope which allows me to view it three-dimensionally, useful for determining wear. My biggest issue is lighting, and once I get that solved, I'll be able to get much better images.

Those are good shots with the Veho microscope. I tried one similar to that (different brand), and I couldn't get it to focus clearly even at 100x, so it was useless. It takes lots of practice and a steady hand to get shots as clear as you did. Good job. :thumbsup: To get a clear image at 800x would take a really well made microscope mount with very smooth controls and a rock steady stand. The mount for the Veho isn't up to that task.

12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

DON'T DO THIS EVER!!!!

Bolero and utahusker like this.
  13. missan

missan Forum Resident

Well it has worked perfectly for me for 50 years.

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

*cough* Hack *cough*

15. I use Magic eraser and have been well pleased with the results. One word of warning: Magic Eraser now makes pads that contain cleaning agents that some have reported to "cake up" on their stylus. BE SURE TO USE THE ORIGINAL MAGIC ERASERS THAT HAVE NO CLEANING CHEMICALS ON THE PADS.

johnny q likes this.
  16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I use this one. Feels very secure and never heard about any issues. I also use ME and Zerodust and like I Zerodust the most. It just feels more secure :)

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

The white ones would be the ok ones correct?

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

correct

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I use basically the same thing as a follow-up to a magic eraser dip. No issues ever...but stylii/cantilevers are fragile, anything can damage them if misused.

20. ghost rider

I hear ya, stupid is as stupid does!

Back to front motion only. If you look at my early images before I got the OC9 cleaned and even after I got it 80% clean there is the spot on the very front of the stylus that is even harder to clean. The brush is less effective there. This is where daily cleaning with zerodust hopefully will help.

21. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I had the same issue with debris on the front of the stylus as well, and the Zerodust gets that part clean. I like the fact that you're not moving something against the stylus. On a moving magnet cartridge, it's bad if you damage the cantilever, but you can replace the stylus assembly yourself. On a moving-coil cartridge it's disastrous. BTW, I have an OC9 on my Pro-Ject turntable, and it is a really sweet sounding cartridge, isn't it?

22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

That's what I have been using. With a tad of stylis liquid.

24. I am not sure if the new ones with cleaning agents are a different color or not. Yes, the original ones are white. The box should indicate if the additional chemicals are present. I have not personally tried the new ME's with the cleaning agents, but others have reported build up on their stylus from using them. I just wanted to warn others of this reported problem as a service. If one carefully reads the box, the pads with added cleaning agents can be avoided and this should not be a problem.

25. Just did a google search to check out your question more thoroughly. It appears they are all white, except some have a green/blue scotch brite type pad on one side. The key is to look at the box and buy the ones that are marked "original". I just checked pictures of the boxes of ME on the internet and the word "original" can be found on the lower right corner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.