How do you clean DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grand_Ennui, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

How do you guys clean dirty DVDs?

At a yard sale last year, I bought a "CD+ Clinic" (for cleaning CDs, DVDs, VCDs, and CD-Roms), which is/was a device that you lightly spray the disc with the cleaning solution, put the disc face up in the unit, close the lid and then spin the device's handle by hand which is supposed to clean the disc... Essentially, it's no good, at least I haven't had any luck with it...

I put a DVD in there that had jumped around during two of the episodes, and after cleaning it, it was made worse-Worse to the point that the DVD player gave the message of "unable to read disc". The DVD I tried to clean is a common title, and easily replaced, so I'm really not out anything but the couple of bucks I paid for the season...

All that said, I'm wondering how you guys and gals clean your DVDs?

I know the little hand spinning machine I bought really isn't going to cut it, so I'm looking for a better way (or ways) to clean DVDs... Thanks...

PS: I'm guessing that any ways you describe to clean them could be applied to CDs as well?

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

If I were you I'd grab some 40 or 60 grit sandpaper and work on both sides until you are satisfied with the results. They do that at my local Goodwill.

gitters, Suncola and melstapler like this.
  3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Sometimes w/that unable to read biz, just eject disc & turn player off. Restarting from beginning often solves it w/my player. Or, unplug it & plug back in - the easy fix w/everything from computers to cable tv, too. :winkgrin:
    Re: Disc cleaning (DVDs or CDs). Suggest using an eyeglass hoya cleaning cloth. 99% of the time that works for me. If that alone doesn't do it, add a little windex & clean w/paper towel. (IDK about using that w/a hoya cloth.)

caracallac and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I'll rinse under tap water to remove loose dirt and dust. Then use dish soap (most seem to like Dawn, I prefer Sunlight) and a clean cloth that won't scratch to wash the disc. Then rinse again and pat dry with a clean microfiber towel.

I guess if scratches on the bottom are an issue, I'd try to buff them out with toothpaste, like people do with CDs. That's worked for me in the past with relatively light scratches.

Sometimes this is all necessary when buying used discs.

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This is the technique I've used on CD's since the 1980s. Works for me.

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It may be the laser that is causing problems too with accumulated dust etc.
    Whenever I have problems I just take the player lid off and clean the laser lens with a soft rag and disc cleaning solvent.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I have a DVD/CD Disc Repair Plus machine that does a pretty good job. The buffing/refinishing sanding discs have even restored unreadable discs, though not every one, successfully.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Once watched, take them to the charity shop.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nah, I buy them to collect them...

I have donated to the charity/thrift shops before, but now if I buy something and don't like it, I put it in the "Free Little Library" box near the park where I live... People leave books, magazines, occasional CDs and DVDs in them for anybody in the area to use.

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

gently with soap and water

Grand_Ennui and 905 like this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

This is simply what I do with CDs and DVDs.

audiomixer likes this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Clean 100% cotton towel on the data side.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I clean my C.D.s & D.V.D.s the same way as you did but ensure that I dry them slightly before playing while not getting smears with a cleaning cloth which won't scratch them or moult (a record cleaning cloth is ideal for this).

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Water

15. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

That. Tap water. Bottled water a no-no in this household.Wiping them on my tee-shirt at the sink way too often. I have 1,000s of CDs,100s of DVDs. Soap? That adds another layer of something usually(always?) unnecessary. When did this become a problem?

adm62 likes this.
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why buy them to watch once?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh god I don't but people still give them as gifts and such.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ah

19. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

For truly filthy discs I clean in 3 stages.

1. Wash the disc in warm water and washing up liquid with a fine sponge. Dry with a Kleenex tissue.

2. Spray Windowline glass cleaner. Using a clean Kleenex tissue wiping horizontally and vertically rather than in circles.

3. Spray with Calotherm spray and wipe with a lens cloth. This usually does the job.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just buy some optical lens/glasses cleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.