How do you clean your Onzow Zerodust?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jstraw, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Title says it all.

Thanks.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Under running water, rub your finger on it a bit to get the dust off, let dry.
    Couldn't be simpler. :)

black sheriff likes this.
  3. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

It says you can use a mild detergent. I have tried a tiny bit of dish soap and many rinsings. I have also tried disc doctor's record cleaning solution and many rinsings. I am sure the disc doctor fluid doesn't damage the records, but I wondered whether it might have very slightly effected the Zerodust material. I'm not sure.

Another Onzow question: where do you place it when cleaning your stylus? Do you hold it in your hand? Do you place it on the platter? My platter is too high relative to the needle -- plus I normally leave it spinning, as Rega suggests. Another option? I've held it in my hand and it doesn't seem to be a problem, I read somewhere someone worrying about damaging the stylus this way.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I press the Zerodust up from below into the stylus gently. Seems to be safe.

5. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The water we have here in MD is really hard, so I use the PUR filtered water from the refrigerator. I lightly soak a lint free cloth and just bring it back and forth across the top until clean. You know I absolutely love this little blob of magic. It is so simple and safe to use and works so well. :thumbsup:

mike catucci likes this.
  6. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

That's what I do as well - but I have always been curious if that's how it should be done.

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I ensure the Zerodust is approx. at queueing height and I gently lower the stylus into the blob and then gently lift it back out. That way I am never relying on my hand which could potentially screw up the stylus. Sorry this is just a bit off topic.

Please continue to discuss how you clean the Zerodust.

8. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

The directions clearly indicate that you should put the stylus tip to the cleaning element, not vice versa. I don't know if it matters. I guess it means that you could never put more than the force of gravity into the stylus.

"How to Use: Lightly press a stylus tip once or twice onto the cleaning element, and pull it up....
    When the cleaning element is stained, wash it in warm water with a little amount of neutral detergent...."

The little picture also has a down arrow, showing the cartridge going towards the soft plastic.

9. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

I lower the stylus (by hand) onto the Onzow, which I've placed on the turntable deck. I have the volume up a ways to "hear" what's going on. I think the Onzow is soft enough that you'd have to get pretty rough w/ your cartridge to do damage.

Paul

10. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

I don't hold it in my hand because I usually shake and don't want to subject the cantilever to my wretched tremor.

11. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

I too simple raise the Onzow block up to the stylus, letting it "lightly pierce the blob." Works great!

12. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

My son put it in his mouth. I wipped it off. It's clean now.
    Didn't plan it that way but it worked.
    C

13. Brian Clark

Brian Clark New Member

After a couple of years mine seems to be losing its effectiveness. Periodic washes with a drop of detergent.

I bring it up to the cartridge 2 or 3 times and press upward lightly.

Brian.

14. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

can I borrow your son?

I didn't pay attention to cleaning mine, but now you guys have wondering if I should.

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. mike g

mike g Forum Resident

I just place it on the plinth and lower the arm. Clean with warm water

Gardo likes this.
  16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Same here. Never washed it though.

17. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Clay,

That's disgusting! :D

18. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I use Brita filtered water from the fridge and after washing my hands I use a finger tip to wipe off the surface of the zerodust.

I use my zerodust by placing it on the platter and carefully lowering the tone arm by hand into the blob 2-3 times at the start and end of each listening session. As I keep my Rega spinnin' when I'm listening to music I don't clean the stylus after each record.

Does anyone use more than just the zerodust to clean their stylus? The product seems to work very well but I wonder if I should be using it in combination with something like LAST stylus cleaner?

19. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I use one, but I also use one of those stiff stylus brushes and also at times a Signet Stylus cleaning tool (an old vibrating job that runs on a AA battery), with a little of the Lyra Stylus cleaner.

20. Shakey

Shakey New Member

One of these, with the Lyra Stylus Treatment, occasionally:

Signet SK305

[​IMG]

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

bit of dawn, rinse under warm tap water, next rinse with distilled water and compressed air to dry.

Pretty much switched to Lyra's Stylus treatment/cleaner now. More effective.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

He's 2! What are you gonna do.

C

23. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I'm curious, now that he's 6 is he still cleaning your Zerodust?

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Any advice? I just cleaned my 6-day old Zerodust and now the gel blob is concave ! Does it matter? Will it return the way it was ?

I followed the instructions.

25. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

^ Turn it over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.