How do you download on Spotify? Or see the download queue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I just changed from Beats, and really prefer it so far. I could figure out where to set the bit rate for streaming and for downloading-but not 100% sure how to download. I suppose when I click "Save" with a live WiFi connection that is what happens? What if I click when I don't have a connection-does it wait until I do?

And, how can I see and hopefully edit the download queue?

Any other tips for a newbie appreciated. Like how to quickly add to the current play queue maybe.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

first question before we go any further: are you a paid Spotify subscriber?

3. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

I'm not sure Spotify even offers downloads.

Laibach likes this.
  4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Used to be a Spotify Premium member till earlier this year. You don't edit the downloadb queue, you select tracks or albums for offline listening, effectively renting them. Those go to your device, you can then access them when you're not connected to spotify directly. Once your subscription ends, you lose the tracks on your phone. If you remain a member though, they sit in your playlists accessible on your computer on the free service. If you quit spotify altogether, you lose the lot.

6. Brother_Rael

And by dot on your computer, obviously you access them from there, not that there is a download on your computer. It's just the interface for the free service.

7. head_unit

Yes, and thanks for the article, though it doesn't answer my question.

With Beats I would load up a bunch of stuff to download, and sometimes wanted to shortcut that to download something right now so I would edit the download queue.

I'd also view the download queue because it would always stall out or time out, and I would need to restart it.

That is what I want to do with Spotify, and yes I paid for Premium.

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

See the underlined bold italic above, this answers your question. On an iPhone, on the album page there is a button called "available offline". Click on this and you can listen locally. Just make sure that you adjust the bit rate for both streaming and downloading.

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

As far as I know, there isn't anything quite the same as MOG/Beats download queue. In the iPhone app, when you click Available Offline, it starts downloading. All of the tracks in that view that haven't downloaded will have a spinning circle. In the Album or Playlist lists, albums/playlists that are downloading will have a spinning circle. If you want something to download now, you have to go in playlist by playlist or album by album and cancel what's already downloading. Unfortunately, there's nothing like the download queue where you can see what's ahead of the album you want now and only cancel those. I assume that the order you click available online is the order they actually download, but there's no way to know for sure.

The desktop app works the same way, but I don't see any way to download albums, just playlists.

10. head_unit

Well, the bold italic did not actually answer my question, but the next post appears to. OK, that's what I was afraid of, I can't see the download queue. Too bad it times out after 2 minutes.

On the other hand, at least I can set it to see only what is actually available offline, unlike Beats and iTunes which drive me nuts. Hey folks developing that, not everyone is connected 100% of the time, and many of us don't want to automatically eat up data!

11. head_unit

Er, is there an equivalent to the old MOG Play queue? Where I can quickly add something to play after the current selection (album, usually) without having to make a new playlist?

12. Brother_Rael

Your "download queue" can be as much or as little as you like. You make the selection, you've identified the tracks or albums (as it was for me) that you want offline and Spotify starts at the top and works its way down.

Once it's done, you see a green icon (or used to anyway) to see what's been marked and is now available for offline listening.

In terms of adding something quickly, then then I always selected the album of choice, marked it as offline and it goes to your album list. Playlists are separate now I think. So I think you have the choice of either.

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There is a play queue but you can only add songs in the iPhone app. Unfortunately, it adds the song next in the queue instead of at the end so even though the call it a queue, it's not.

14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Rhapsody has a download queue that you can pause.

15. head_unit

D'OH! Time for some feedback. I guess that is a separate and logical function, but what I want is "add to end"

16. head_unit

I realized another reason I want to see the "download queue" is to see if it is stalled-is there a way to check if downloading is stopped?

17. head_unit

AND would support my Sansa Clip Zip…my kid was agitating for Spotify so that was why, though I've liked Rhapsody for a long time. Oh, wait, doesn't work on Macs since they are Windows/WMA based. So I can't use that on my desktops.

How DOES Rhapsody work on iPhone? If the core tech is WMA based? Do they use some other kind of file?

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I agree. I'd like to be able to add an album too. It really designed for people who listen to tracks

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it's AAC. The options are 192 Kbps and 320 Kbps.
    Rhapsody just introduced a new web app for the Mac: http://app.rhapsody.com

head_unit likes this.
  20. head_unit

Ah, searched for Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga-I only see a "SAVE" button. I guess you have to save and then you have to find that album, open it, and swipe to make it available offline. Gotta give feedback to give me an "offline" button right there…unless they don't want to, hmm…

Now I cannot see if the download is running or not…I have a number of green arrows that still have not downloaded…even though I selected them DAYS ago…
    [such 1st world problems, eh?]

I'll have to do some looking:
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/03/s...ally-lets-you-see-your-play-queue-sort-music/
    says
    "
    One of the more frustrating things about using Spotify on an iPhone was that you really couldn’t sift through your large collection of music, or see what was about to start playing. Now that’s finally changing.

In the latest Spotify iOS app update, users can now view their Play Queue on the iPhone as well as sort through music alphabetically and search for a specific song, artist or playlist. Additionally, the queue is now directly accessible from the Now Playing screen for convenience, and Spotify warns users if the song already exists in the collection to prevent duplicates.

The update, which brings the iOS app up to par with the Android version, should be well received by hardcore Spotify users, and many would likely agree this functionality should have been available on the iPhone from day one.

The streaming music service also added the ability to search through yourdownloaded songs offline earlier this week, as VentureBeat previously reported. Spotify listeners have been able to take their songs offline to listen to them on their mobile device in the past, but the process of downloading playlists was not always easy, according to Techlicious. The task has been streamlined and simplified for mobile users.

Currently, the Spotify app can be downloaded for free on the App Store and Google Play store. However, Spotify requires a Premium Account for those who want to listen to music without commercials. A subscription costs $9.99 per month.
    "

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The green arrows mean that the track has downloaded. A spinning circle means it hasn't. While tracks are downloading, you can see a progress bar at the top of the Your Music screen.

head_unit likes this.
  22. head_unit

Hey, just to hijack my own thread a bit, I found some Naxos titles on Spotify!

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Most Naxos titles are on Spotify as far as I can tell. BIS too. As with all classical, they're not always easy to find a specific album.

24. head_unit

I don't know if this was always here, but I stumbled on a kind of progress bar. When I go to Your Music, in the Playlists tab I see "syncing 18 of 275" so at least I can see if it is actually downloading. Can't seem to search, but I think the network I'm on blocks Spotify so that's probably why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.