How far have you traveled for a musical purchase or concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Chicago to NYC in 1979 to see The Who return following Moons passing
    More recently Hawaii to Las Vegas to see the Stones this past fall only to have them cancel show to Micks larengitis :(

Fullbug likes this.
  2. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

In 2000 I flew from San Antonio to London to see Prefab Sprout do three shows. For the first one, I took a train to Manchester. The other two shows were in London.

Fullbug and PsychGuy like this.
  3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

They were all out of the Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon with the C.B. and optional rally fun pack so I went with Metallic Pea.

Fullbug and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Going to LA from Chicago next weekend to see the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

5. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

We travel to the US and Europe to see Neil Young virtually every year

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

Phuket, Thailand to Tokyo to see Steely Dan on two nights in the Billboard Live. (Quite a let down, actually.)

Two flights (via Bangkok.) About seven and a half hours flight time.

bluesky likes this.
  7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

900 miles to see Elvis Costello. Just visiting Boston was part of it, and I think I saw family in Vermont on that trip.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Flew from Calgary to Las Vegas to see Steely Dan.

I just had to, you know?

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I drove from Omaha to Chicago and see Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan, and my wife and I flew from Seattle to San Francisco to see Paul McCartney.

10. All over Europe (from Italy) to see Macca and others, but mainly Macca.

11. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

From England to Lisbon, Portugal to see Radiohead.

LSP2003 likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Traveling from Washington DC to LA to see Eric Clapton this March, does that count?

Frozensoda likes this.
  13. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I flew from Tokyo (where I was living at the time) to Mumbai in India to see Roger Waters - a flight distance of approx. 4,100 miles (6,700 km).

14. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I've flown 3-4 hours for a concert several times, but in terms of effort, I think the 10 hours each way ride to see Neil Young at Burg Klam, near Linz Austria last year was the furthest I've gone, he cut the show short because of a thunderstorm too!

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Flew to NYC to see Radiohead in 2003.

16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I've been to concerts in the US, UK, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland.

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Flew from Bournemouth, UK to Dublin to see R.E.M's opening night of the Accelerate album theatre warm up shows.
    That flight put me off flying for life. Incredible gig though.

18. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

In college we drove 8 hours from NC to the 9:30 club in DC to see Dream Theater of all bands. A college buddy's idea, he roped me in. The concert wasn't entirely worth the loss of hearing I had for the next several days, but the trip was fun.

I really like the idea of road-tripping for concerts or festivals...too bad the rest of my (now rather large) family doesn't. :)

19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Grateful Dead tours.
    I've been to all the major west coast cities Seattle down to San Diego.
    New Orleans quite a few times.

I got to Europe for the 1st time a couple of years ago for Patti Smith in Utrecht > Amsterdam > Brussels > London.

20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Don't know which is the most distance, so I'll list a few concerts:

From Seattle to Austin to see Butch Hancock play a small club. Alejandro Escovedo was there the night before, but I got snowed in in Memphis and missed the show!

From Seattle to Madison, Wisconsin to see Bob Dylan.

From Spokane to San Francisco/Oakland to see Bruce Springsteen in 1984 and 1988

From Spokane to San Francisco (by bus!) to see Little Steven Van Zandt.

21. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Flew from Salt Lake City area to see my sister in Connecticut and saw Willie Nile at the Ridgefield Playhouse

Drove from SLC to see Counting Crows at Red Rocks this past September...wish I had some proof for that one...:)

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I've traveled halfway across the world and gone to concerts, but in those cases I wasn't traveling only to go to the concert in question.

With respect to traveling only to go to concerts, a few times I've traveled across the U.S.--South Florida to Oregon, for example, by way of doing road trips to follow an artist around parts of the country. I've done that with the Grateful Dead a couple times (unsurprisingly, as I'm a huge Dead fan and it's a typical thing for Deadheads to do), I've done that with Frank Zappa a couple times, and more surprisingly--because this isn't a typical things for fans of this band to do--I've done it with KISS.

But even with that, it's not as if I traveled from South Florida to Oregon just for one show. I was going to a bunch of shows.

The furthest I've traveled for the sole purpose of going to a show in a single location--home to there to home again, is just under 800 miles, when I went from NYC, where I live now, to Chicago for the "Fare Thee Well" Dead & Company shows.

Frozensoda likes this.
  23. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

I flew from The Netherlands to Glasgow to see Cold Chisel.
    <--

24. Rushfan

Rushfan Forum Resident

I have seen many Rush shows over the years across the U.S. and Canada as well as Europe and South America. Spanning from 1983 to 2015. What a great run it has been.

Frozensoda likes this.
  25. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

I was lucky. My wife and I only had to get on the Metro to see them on that tour (though we only saw one show, not three).

Back in the spring of '95 a friend and I drove from Boston to Louisville to see Guided by Voices. About 18 hours including stops for food on the way out, but we stayed overnight with my folks in DC on the way back, which made it more like 9 + 9, plus or minus.

limoges likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.