How hard is it to swap a 2m red stylus to 2m blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Opeth, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If you maintain your records properly, clean the stylus with the brush that's provided and avoid playing disasters it should last anywhere from 750-1500 hours, I recently replaced my Black stylus after two years and I could have stretched its life out another few months (I still have it and the Bronze as spares). Does spending more = longer life, I don't think so.

Randy the Hat likes this.
  2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

This is a copy of stylus wear notes by Henk from audio selectief in NL. (http://www.audioselective.nl) as follows:

round stylus; 660 hrs
    elliptical; 1.000 hrs
    shibata; 1.500 hrs
    fine line; 2.000 hrs
    micro-ridge; 4.000 hrs
    Jan Allaerts up to 20.000 hrs.

3. Randy the Hat

Randy the Hat Forum Resident

Wow that surprised me, not sure what to expect, and I thank you.

4. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I've been too busy listening!

The sound coming out of this cartridge after a little more than a week of play is nothing short of amazing (to my ears, at least).

It sounded good from day 1 as I mentioned in my previous post, but after an 8-10 hour break-in period, it really started to sound incredible. Everything that I liked about the 2M Red is there and better, and the things I didn't like about that cartridge (mainly sibilance and IGD) are gone. Everything I've played from my top-tier, demo quality material down to the records that sounded "good enough" all sound better than I could have imagined.

It's always exciting to me when a new piece of equipment inspires you to listen to every record in your collection just to hear how they'll sound now, and the 2M Blue has done exactly that. Highly recommended!

tim185, Kitlope, Colin M and 2 others like this.
  5. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

And then you have the Bronze... :righton:

6. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

7. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora SeƱor Member

Update: 2m blue sounds very good, no more sibilance where the 2m red had it, side 4 of the new Pink Floyd and Ryan Adams' Ashes and Fire, for example. Glad having made the upgrade !

8. Jamie Aces

Jamie Aces Member

The Blue has utterly transformed my listening experience from the Red to that of worry and occasional wincing, to that of sheer enjoyment and wonder of analogue playback.

My great vinyl sounds incredible, the rest just hammers 99% of my CDs. :)

raphph likes this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have to wait until christmas. :(

Can't wait !

10. Opeth

Does this stylus come with a stylus brush by chance?

11. Jamie Aces

Jamie Aces Member

Mine didn't, but I just replaced the stylus into the red cartridge, so it may come with the cartridge. It may not.

I probably haven't helped. :edthumbs:

Opeth likes this.
  12. mdphunk

I bought the whole cartridge and it did come with a brush.

Opeth and Jamie Aces like this.
  13. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

I have the project Carbon, and last year I replaced the red with the blue. Like many have noted, IGD and a lot of siblence (ssssss) disappeared with the blue. Since it is so easy to switch the read with the blue, I have done a lot of A/B with the needles. The blue has more 'depth' and is more relaxed and refined IMO, while the red is more in your face (IMO). I have to admit that I prefer the red on heavier rock music. I love the blue but the red has it's own magic and is truly enjoyable despite it's shortcomings with IGD and siblence.

I have had the carbon for three years. Got me back into my vinyl after a 25 year hiatus. Great table, but I am looking at a huge upgrade to VPI.

Opeth likes this.
  14. Opeth

I just ordered an acrylic platter and the ortofon brush and a zerodust. Is it the 25th yet?

15. The Good Guy

Expect the 2M Blue to sound Ok ish to begin with. It will take a week or two to bed in then you will love it . I'm playing mine now!

Opeth likes this.
  16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Red to Blue here as well. Came on the Debut Carbon, and was highly praised at the time as above entry-level for a cart. It seemed lacking somehow so I changed it for a Blue - as others have mentioned, it was an improvement in every way.

Opeth likes this.
  17. Opeth

So the day has come spinning my first record with the blue. It sounds great but I noticed when I look at the stylus it seems twisted to the left somewhat.... Once on the record surface it seems perfectly straight but looks weird with no pressure on it.
    I take it this is not normal? Anyone else experience this? I picked up the Sleep volume 1 reissue and it seems to be playing perfectly so I'm confused lol.

18. mdphunk

My Red and Blue have both looked like the cantilever was angled slightly towards the left as you look at the front of the cart while it plays. I figured it was either by design or an optical illusion.

19. Opeth

I am looking at my red and it seems pretty straight compared to the blue.... I guess I'll just go with it for now and see what needle doctor thinks.

20. Opeth

this can't be normal even though it sounds fine this is alarming to me..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

It's a bit hard to see in these pictures, but the diamond tip looks seriously out of whack indeed (azimuth). I thought you were talking about the cantilever orientation at first, which isn't the case. If that's new out of the box, it's poor QC by Ortofon.

22. Opeth

yeah new out of the box :(

guess i'll be swapping it out...

23. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Tough luck, hope you'll get it fixed soon!

24. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Have to agree, the Blue reduces IGD tremendously over the Red. Probably the best improvement

25. The Good Guy

My 2M Blue is settled in now , really pleased with it all I'm thinking about is the music.

Opeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.