How Innovative Were John Lennon and George Harrison as Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

To re-dress the balance praising Paul McCartneys Bass Playing, how do you rate Lennon's and Harrisons skills within The Beatles?

Was Lennon's 'Banjo Chord' style original?

Harrison was not a flashy player, but his solo's were precise and thought out, and of course what would pop music be without that Indian element he introduced?

Help! - the interplay between the rhythm and lead is excellent

What about that unusual end chord on 'She Loves You', whos idea was that?

Please discuss:wave:

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Lennon was not really exceptional as a guitarist, he was very good at times (the triplets in All My Loving, etc.). George was much more serious about his guitars and was always learning and practicing when he wasn't perfroming in the earlier days. George certainly left behind a very identifiable slide sound.

3. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey New Member

Though not flashy, I think Lennon's guitar playing laid a nice bed for George's leads. And Harrison went on to become an incredible slide player. His slide style and sound are very distinct and recognizable.

4. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

They weren't on the same level as Jeff Beck or Carlos Santana but John and George's playing styles heped to shape the Beatles' sound; a sound that is still infulencing bands over four decades later. In that respect, they were innovative.

5. Maidenpriest

I was always really impressed with 'This Boy' was it Lennon or Harrison who provided the music?

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

None of them were innovative. Great songwriters tough.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

This.

They would have had an influence as far as getting kids to want to play the guitar, the same way Kurt Cobain did.

As far as advancing the instrument, they did nothing.

8. Maidenpriest

I dunno, how many people pick up a sitar because of Harrison ?

What about the influence the 12 string had on American folk Rock?

9. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

I heard a radio discussion of the Beatles once where the commentator said George Harrison "practically invented" the guitar solo. This idea made me think back to pre-Beatles pop music and although there were many examples I could think of where there was a bit of a break between chorus and verse, it was usually just a couple of strummed chords or a drum roll.

What would you say is the first example of a guitar solo you can remember? Was it by GH?

10. I think John Lennon and George Harrison together created a guitar style that was instantly recognizable and helped define the Beatles' sound, especially early in their career. Therfore I think they must have been innovative although I'm no expert on guitar technique. They sort of remind me of The Everly Brothers in this regard. I think they were definitely influenced by the Everlys, but developed their own unique sound.

11. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

Scotty Moore with Elvis played lots of guitar solos, Buddy Holly did too. Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins who inspired George, lots of people before George were playing guitar solos.
    Mike

12. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Probably the very first time I ever took notice of a guitar sound and liked it and wondered about it...where a guitar sound stood out for me, was "A Hard Day's Night".

The very beginnng - solo - and end. Sounded different and cool.

13. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I always loved George's "less is more" style of playing. I agree that John set the table for him very well.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They were 114% innovative. No -- their innovation went up to 10 1/2.

15. Lord Summerisle

Not sure how popular the 12 string was, I can think of Roger McGuinn of the top of my head, I'm sure someone here will know of guitarists who played it before them apart from The Beatles.

The examples use cite are not them being innovative guitarists, which is what your threads about.

Like I said, they had a huge influence as far as getting kids to play the instrument and I guess incorporating Sitar into popular music, that, however, doesn't make them innovative guitarists in my mind.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hmmm.

Never thought much of John as a guitarist, although I think there's something to be said for being able to seamlessly incorporate rhythm guitar playing and singing. I think he did that exceptionally well. Not that that's anything earthshaking, but, hey, give the man his due.

I'll risk the flames and say that George, during the Beatles, up until maybe Abbey Road, was a rather unexceptional guitarist. It always has puzzled me that he was the LEAD guitarist in the most famous rock band in the world. Some of those solos are just head-scratching. However, AFTER the Beatles he became a truly world-class guitarist, who created a distinctly English slant on the slide guitar. He's the only slide player I can think of that didn't try to pretend he was whisky-soaked bluesman.

17. Lord Summerisle

The commentator who made that claim must has a very limited knowledge of music, utterly ridiculous.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes. Saying GH practically invented the guitar solo is a bit silly. :)

19. :righton:
    How many people outside of India had even heard of a Sitar before George?

I think George has some influence indierctly because he influenced Roger McGuinn to take up the 12 string Ricenbacker. The 12 string acoustic guitar was well established in folk music long before George though.

20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

To specifically answer your question, John & George were good guitarists, but except for John's feedback at the start of "I Feel Fine", I don't perceive them as "innovative" at all. Jimi Hendrix was innovative, but I wouldn't want him playing in the Beatles.

21. Roger McGuinn picked up the 12 string specifically because of George Harrison. All the Byrds bought the same model instruments that The Beatles played except for Paul's Hoffner bass, because that instrument was just too unique looking and they didn't want to look that much like copycats. At least that's what Roger said.

22. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

I thought something very similiar. Me, as a bit musician too, don't hear much innovative approach to the instrument, mainly focused on John Lennon. Please, don't take my words as an offensive opinion or something, I love The Beatles and with much respect to the Fab Four.

23. juanmahenao

juanmahenao Member

I think is just a great balance between the two of them, in the right place, at the right time. I think it's clear that they're not the best guitar players on earth. But, the mixture of their styles, and the support of the rest of the band lead them to become legends.

I think that where they really stand out is on the riff creation. Paperback Writer, Tickets to Ride, Hey Bulldog, Ride my car, Day Tripper... this songs have really great, iconic guitar riffs.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hendrix would have been AWESOME in the Beatles! :laugh:

25. deville

deville Forum Resident

Yup, Scotty was the man.
    My 50's musical knowledge isn't what I wish it was, but the solos in Rock Around The Clock and Heartbreak Hotel (short as it was) had to be some of the first serious rock guitar to get on white records.

Of course, the black bluesmen were ripping them up long before that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.