How long has Frankie Valli been lip synching his concerts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Slattery, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I saw TB about three years ago and he was completely live, no autotune, no mimimg. After he sang his regular set he did a tune with no mike in a venue that held about 1800, it was amazing!

Ryan Lux likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

He has been for a while now but I don't care. If I hit his age I will be happy to just be able to make it to the bathroom on my own let alone get on stage and still be entertaining fans like me.

Allen Michael and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I saw a thread the other day for Joan Armatrading, they were discussing her upcoming shows so its worth checking it out...

4. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

I wouldn't lose our my-yai-yinds over this. Let him hang on to what he's got.

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

he still has his dignity. The 15 people on this forum upset by this don't matter in the big picture.

Socalguy, ajsmith, Efus and 1 other person like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Everyone else might be performing live to a click track, be he's entirely pre-recorded there. Intro, asking for participation in the middle and the "oh yeah" at the end are all that is live mic for him.

What you hear with his voice has an effect that can likely only be done in post-production, plus you can see with the close up video that neck muscles aren't used as they should for a vocal part that need lots of air to pass through his throat. Some of his miming is also a tiny bit off here and there.

What shocks me most about this topic in general is less about the artists that do it, but the fans who should know better when it's happening and simply don't seem to care. Even on this forum there's fans praising Roger Waters voice or Roger Taylor's Queen drumming on the 2017 tours.

limoges likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Youtube has full proshot FV shows from 1982,1992 and 2008 if you want to compare.

The 92 one might have some pre recorded elements in the backing vocals and some of the really high falsetto stuff. Too perfect.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I'm convinced. In the modern world, it's not only not a given that a live performer actually be performing, but the vast majority in the stadium/venue don't care either way.

I admit, I don't understand it. I don't understand why people accept it. I don't understand how paying top dollar for concert tickets became some kind of charity case for someone who has gotten too old to do what they once did. I don't understand what the difference is between such a performance and watching a DVD sitting at home.

But that's just me. I'm filing this in the "world gone mad" category - but I accept it's *me* that's out of step in 2018.

Crazy. But hey-ho.

pudgym and Ryan Lux like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I think his interest is in acting these days (saw an interview recently,) so that kind of lends itself to "lip syncing" (I guess...)

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Concerts are "events" now. What the performer actually does is secondary. :shake:

11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I love to have music preserved and performed. Like the Jersey Boys show. They can tour the Four Seasons experience. Frankie gets some money from that, no problem with that.

The Temptations are in my town. $55 a ticket. Don't know how many original or even "classic" members they have. Hopefully the act includes actual singing. Judging by this thread, I wonder.

I'm sure Frankie Valli has enough money. He wants to act, speak, write a book, I'm fine with that. According to people here, we need to constantly fete him as a great singer in 2018. I get the inference that we're not even supposed to pretend that he's lip synching, that he "sounds great!" :disgust:

12. I can drive 5 miles to the Zuma Coffee in downtown Marshall any Thursday night and listen to people as old as Frankie Valli actually sing for free.

I wouldn't want to pay to see anyone lip-synch and I be really peeved if I was misled into such a rip-off.

13. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

A concert doesn't have to sound exactly like the recordings for me to enjoy them but they should be a reasonable facsimile. I know that Mike Love's Beach Boys get a lot of hatred among fans but he still delivers a great show and great sound. I saw Brian Wilson's tour a couple of years ago and while I respect him for all he's done in music, it was a painful listening experience which I wouldn't repeat. The Grass Roots are one of my Top 3 favorite acts of all time and the guy who took them over sounds nothing like Rob Grill, nor does he try. I've seen various bar bands in my area who come closer to the right sound. I don't need to spend good money to see someone pretend to sing when I can just throw a CD on at home.

Doggiedogma and Vaughan like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not a fan of the lip-sync thing, but....if its all up front and you know going in then i guess its the old "you get what you pay for".

however, if its done to deceive, i totally disagree with it.

from what i understand they were very upfront about the lip-sync with brittany spears in vegas, and she did quite well at the box office.

i also understand that zz top is back to their old tricks of using tapes in their shows, and that is just not cool.

LittlePearl, Doggiedogma and Vaughan like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Then I guess we'll soon enter an era where holographic images used on stage will become accepted, and acceptable, for the entirety of a "concert". It's not much of a stretch from lip-syncing to being a holographic image, imo. It's all artifice, it's all not what it appears. Perhaps Elvis Presley will tour in 2022?

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Interesting. I'm kind of the other way. I mean, yes I have to recognize what's being played, but for me there is a lot of lee-way as to how something is performed live. If you take say, Bowie's Rebel Rebel, it's changed quite a bit over the years in performance. The version on the Reality tour is probably my favorite - yes even over the original. I really don't expect it to sound like the albums.

To give an example of where I dislike things.... I went through a phase lately of looking up Kiss on Youtube (a bad idea, by the way, because it appears that once you've watched a couple Kiss videos, it takes weeks for them to drop out of your "Recommended Videos") and of course came across various live performances. I was disappointed that say, the guitar solo's are so similar, no matter the guitarist. Take the solo in Love Gun, it's like they're going for note-for-note each time. No adventure. I found it dull, to be honest. I'd of loved them to have reworked Love Gun over the years, but it's played today just as it was back in the 70's. Something seems missing, imo.

17. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

This is where we (as a collective) are today culturally. It is "ok" for a singer to lip sync at a concert. People still spend the money to buy tickets. I just can't bring myself to see someone whose music I like or even love at a live show and have them lip sync. Yet, I will contradict this statement when the virtual ABBA do their tour. :angel:

Ryan Lux likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They should promote the concerts as:

"See the legendary Frankie Valli mime to the great hits of the Four Seasons!"

In that case I'd say this is all on the up and up. Anyone who goes gets what was promised.

Of course, theythey w advertise the concerts that way, because their intent is to deceive and rake in the bucks.

As it is, a lot of people are paying for something implicitly promised but not delivered.

Grand_Ennui, Vaughan and starduster like this.
  19. That era is already here:

There's no subterfuge though. Hatsune Miku freely acknowledges that she's not real.

20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Not only are people fine with it, but they think anyone who has a problem with this practice is an irrelevant, ageist prick. By the way, if any of these people want to hire me to renovate their house, I'm available. I'll show, appear to work, accomplish nothing and collect my handsome check. No problem.

Someone mentioned Frankie may need the money. According to recent divorce docs, his income was $900,000 a month.

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's a bit tricky to have more than one original or "classic" member considering everyone who joined the band prior to the 90s are all dead apart from original member Otis Williams (still in the lineup) and three other folks (one in the lineup, two not in the lineup).

ajsmith likes this.
  22. violarules

violarules Senior Member

He certainly is lip-syncing. I don't what to say if you can't tell that.

It's pathetic. This performance is the definition of phoning it in. No emotional connection, only the most cursory of stage presence with lame hand gestures. He should retire. But, if people want to pay to see this "performance", who am I to say... :sigh:

Drifter and bob60 like this.
  23. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Looking at recent videos, I'm not sure what is "entertaining" about a Franki Valli show these days. He looks so disconnected, he might as well be sleeping up there. I personally know several people who were vital and artistic forces post-80-years-old. Valli is not one of them.

Drifter likes this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

See, I have no problem with this, because I am an irrelevant ageist prick (IAP). I even complain on Internet forums.

To my IAP mindset, I could pay good money to see Frankie Valli live, turn up and watch the show, and go home still not having seen him live. Unless "live" is defined as "being in the same space", which is a ridiculous concept, imo.

If he's miming, I'd actually prefer a hologram, at least the technology behind that is interesting.

starduster and Ryan Lux like this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

In the 80s/90s when he was absolutely singing live, he couldn't attempt "Sherry" without a lot of audience help, much less acappella. The whole purpose of singing uaccompanied is to show the power of your voice, so this performance is either dishonest or great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.